• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: There is no way to un-mark photos for republishing in Publish Services.

LEGEND ,
May 28, 2011 May 28, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom 3.4 There is no way to un-mark photos for republishing. I do not want to re-publish every photo I modify after publishing it, but there seems to be no way to prevent re-publishing of photos that I don't want re-published.

There is a "mark photo for republishing" menu item. I need the opposite.

In the photostream view of Publish Services for flickr there are New Photos to publish and Modified photos to Re-publish. There does not seem to be a way to remove either photo without "Removing from the collection" which is not what I want to do. "Removing from the collection" marks it for deletion from flickr!

Idea Released
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jan 10, 2012 Jan 10, 2012
Per Victoria's update:

there's now a 'mark up to date' option in Lightroom 4 beta. Read more about it here: http://feedback.photoshop.com/photosh...

Votes

Translate

Translate
24 Comments
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This would probably be better as a Feature Request, rather than a Problem Report. I do agree that an 'Unmark for Republish' option is needed, and I raised such a feature request on the old site. I also included a request for some form of visual indication to be shown whenever any of the user's Publish folders/photosets contain New or Modified items awaiting (re)publish. It's a bit of a pain to remember to keep checking for changes in ALL the folders/photosets in the Publish Services panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've swapped it to a feature request as the current behaviour is working as designed, but I agree it's a really worthy request. It does seem like an obvious omission!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The plugin SDK supports a fairly comprehensive set of criteria for specifying which types of changes should trigger republishing in the first place. I would think a UI for that would be worthwhile as well (or is that already there? - I don't publish. sorry if I'm poking in again...)

Excerpt from SDK API doc:
Possibilities for republish triggers (or exclusion):
rating
label
title
caption
gps
gpsAltitude
creator
creatorJobTitle
creatorAddress
creatorCity
creatorStateProvince
creatorPostalCode
creatorCountry
creatorPhone
creatorEmail
creatorUrl
headline
iptcSubjectCode
descriptionWriter
iptcCategory
iptcOtherCategories
dateCreated
intellectualGenre
scene
stateProvince
country
isoCountryCode
jobIdentifier
instructions
provider
source
copyright
rightsUsageTerms
copyrightInfoUrl
copyrightStatus
keywords

customMetadata: All plug-in defined custom metadata (defined by any plug-in).
(plug-in ID).*: All custom metadata defined by the plug-in with the specified ID.
(plug-in ID).(field ID): One specific custom metadata field defined by the plug-in with the specified ID.

PS - The default is "everything that's in xmp triggers republishing".

Summary:
========
If not already supported, consider adding to the request: UI to exclude things that should never trigger a republish, and add options for things that will presently never trigger a republish but should.

If already supported, please delete this post and accept my apology...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
May 29, 2011 May 29, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JK, was there a specific publish service that you need this for? I seem to remember that some, if not all of Jeffrey's publish plugins do already have this functionality.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeffrey's Picasweb plug in doesn't have a way of turning off republish of specific files. All develop changes trigger republish along with selectable metadata changes.
Bu again once trigger for republish no way to "untrigger"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just checked with Jeffrey and he said:
"I’m pretty sure that I added it to all my Publish uploader plugins, via "Re-Mark as Published" in the "Extras" menu for the plugin under Plugin Extras (e.g. "File > Plugin Extras > Facebook Extras"). So, that’d be Flickr, Facebook, PicasaWeb, SmugMug, and Zenfolio."

Hopefully that'll help fill the gap in the meantime, although I agree it should be available as part of the base program regardless.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correct it is in the Extras for the Picasaweb plug in - my mistake in not looking there!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not the first place I'd have looked either!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think this feature is broken as designed. I use it for flickr. I used Jeffrey's in the past with LR2, but it stopped working when I upgraded to LR3. I assumed the built in system would work for me but it is too inflexible.

If I accidentally drag a photo into the publish services, I cannot "unpublish" it.

If I experiment with an old photo I had previously published, it will alter the photo my online permanent archive without my permission.

I guess I'm doing it wrong. But my opinion is that a tool shouldn't enforce how I should use it. A tool may make a polite suggestion as to it's best use, but should be flexible enough to allow the user the ability to work how they want to. Even if it's wrong.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 16, 2011 Jun 16, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, the Lightroom SDK *does* support "un-mark photos for republishing", but each plugin must implement an interface for it, or else it won't be available.

But I think this feature should be available to all publishing services, by inclusion in the context menu...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 30, 2011 Jun 30, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. I have been asked to put more details on here re a LR3 Flickr Publish issue, by @Deleted User.

The auto republish of modified images is a real problem for me. I need to be able to stop photos republishing as I often will re-edit a photo (for example a square crop to use on FoodGawker) If this republishes, not only does it change on Flickr but it removes it from my blog, which references from Flickr, Might this be an option on an upcoming update?

I can't keep track of all the photos I have used in my blog or published to Flickr so I can't have it changing them when I just brighten them for use as a jpg or re-vignette them when I re-crop for a blog header.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think this is supported in Jeffrey Friedl's flickr plugin. Maybe use that instead, at least for the time being.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like a good idea. In the meantime, the way to work around this issue is to use virtual copies. If you want to make changes to a photo that you've published (and don't want that photo to be flagged for republishing) make a virtual copy before you make changes, and make your changes to the virtual copy.

Thanks,
Ben

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 26, 2011 Jul 26, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Automatic re-publishing without any user control has cost me a number of grey hairs already. I keep loosing comments on Facebook when photos get re-published automatically. I think it is a badly needed feature. How long would it take until such a feature is added ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 26, 2011 Jul 26, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This plugin solves the problem in the interim: UnmarkForRepublish

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 31, 2011 Jul 31, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've managed to do something that borked up my settings for 350 photos that i've published to flickr. I do NOT want lightroom to republish over my existing photos, but now I can't publish to flickr without that attempting to happen. Please fix this ongoing issue (some reports seem to go back over a year). We do NOT want every little change to trigger an automatic republish.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 31, 2011 Jul 31, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Until Adobe comes to the rescue, which could be months or years...

I can't control which items constitute a change worthy for republishing (presently only the authors of the individual publishing service plugins can do that), but you really should try the unmark-for-republish plugin above - it will solve your problem immediately. Also, I think Jeffrey Friedl's flickr plugin affords control of which items constitute a publish-worthy change, no? (I assume you are using Adobe's flickr plugin, right?)

-R

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Aug 01, 2011 Aug 01, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, you can select the ones you do want to publish, then hold Alt/Option. The "Publish" button at lower left will change to "Publish Selected".

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 01, 2011 Aug 01, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice tip for *marking* to publish, to keep from having to use the context menu... (but doesn't help with the problem of un-marking for re-publish).

UnmarkForRepublish *does* solve the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 27, 2011 Dec 27, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rob Cole is right, his plugin does work. Brilliant work on a tiny but majorly irritating flaw in the publish service of this program. Can't explain how angry you can get at an aspect of a program that allows for maintenance of online collections but can also completely wipe your views and comments consistently.

Not to detract from it's services, which is why I still use the publish service regularly, but this issue still should have been addressed before release.

(Hint: use the file menu>plugin extras to access this awesome plugin)

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 28, 2011 Dec 28, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Christian,

I'm not sure why this omission (and so many others, in the SDK too) have persisted for so long - I guess Adobe has their hands full with critical bug fixes and new camera support...(and Lr4 :-)

Cheers,
Rob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jan 10, 2012 Jan 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great news - there's now a 'mark up to date' option in Lightroom 4 beta. Read more about it here: http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjourn...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Per Victoria's update:

there's now a 'mark up to date' option in Lightroom 4 beta. Read more about it here: http://feedback.photoshop.com/photosh...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Good to see its been taken care of (although not sure why it was deferred 'til a major release).

UnmarkForRepublish's days are numbered...

Votes

Translate

Translate