• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Ability to assign a second monitor with more than 3 monitors

Community Beginner ,
Dec 13, 2011 Dec 13, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have more than 3 monitors, there is no way to assign the "second monitor" in Lightroom 3.5.

Idea Released
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Feb 11, 2020 Feb 11, 2020

Updates to Lightroom Classic,  were released yesterday and now offer support for this request.  Please install the appropriate update and let us know how it works. You can read more about the updates here.

Thank you for your patience. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
83 Comments
Community Beginner ,
Sep 11, 2016 Sep 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an iMac 27" with a secondary 19" Display and an iPad (with AirDisplay App) as a third monitor (use it to inspect some procedures taking place in the background) i used this disposition with my macbook pro and worked just fine,  but with my iMac it always selects the iPad as the secondary monitor, this is obviously not right i want my 19" screen to be the secondary monitor. The only workaround I've encountered is to uncheck the use full screen mode (on the secondary display in lightroom) and I can manually move the secondary display (lightroom) to the monitor I want, this is what Adobe is suggesting, not entirely sure that this is a perfect solution but it helps, although I'm not satisfied that there is no way to tell lightroom which monitor is the secondary display that it should use.

As soon as I check the Use Full Screen option it goes back to selecting my iPad as secondary screen.

This is 5 years later and on lightroom CC 2016, it seems Adobe never took this as a serious issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 16, 2016 Sep 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the ONLY thing that has worked in a reliable, repeatable way. Oh my god... Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 17, 2016 Sep 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad it's useful to someone 😄

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 02, 2016 Oct 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Allright, thank you so much for this! Finally a solution that works! 

As an addition you can use an app like Borderless Gaming to get rid of the maximised window (and title bar) and get the full-screen experience! 
(https://github.com/Codeusa/Borderless-Gaming/releases/tag/8.4)

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 30, 2016 Dec 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wanted to take a moment to confirm that this workaround was successful for me. THANK YOU GEOBERT! This issue was driving me crazy.

I'm blown away that Adobe seems to be repeatedly ignoring this problem - especially after discovering that it can be easily remedied. Of course, when I say easily I'm aware that I'm not intelligent enough to have come up with this solution. So again, thank you Geobert!

In case anyone else out there makes it to this point in their efforts to try to find a solution, I'm including a little more info regarding the process. I hope this helps anyone that may feel uncomfortable with it. Good luck!

My setup:
Windows 10 (2xNvidia GTX 570; 32GB RAM)
Monitor 1: 1920x1080 (Far left; Lightroom Main Application)
Monitor 2: 1920x1080 (Middle; Desired Preview Location)
Monitor 3: 1080x1920 (Far right; Auto-selected Preview Window Location)

• Closed Lightroom.
  • Downloaded and installed AutoHotKey from their site.
  • Downloaded the AutoHotKey script provided by Geobert Quach.
  • Placed the script in a location the I organize similar files to.
  • Per instructions, used Notepad to edit the "WinMove" line in the script to: WinMove, 1921, 100
  • Saved the script.
  • Opened Lightroom to test the position change.
  • This successfully forces the Lightroom preview window to be displayed on monitor #2 in full screen mode automatically!
  • Created a shortcut to the script, per Geobert's instructions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 25, 2017 May 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah I eventually solved my similar issue by moving the secondary screen into window mode (it took me ages to work out how to do this so it was driving me crazy lol), then moved it to my 3rd monitor, resized it manually, rebooted LR to make sure it would stay there (which it does thank heavens!) and wallah, problem solved. Can confirm that even with the latest version of LR it's still not possible to switch back to full screen mode without the secondary window jumping back to the same incorrect monitor.

Adobe PLEASE allow us to assign which monitor hosts the secondary display. Seems like people have been asking for this for FIVE years and still nothing. Love your products, but 5 years to resolve a known issue is a one star review in this area I'm afraid 😛

Votes

Translate

Translate

May 30, 2017 May 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You know, I have been a loyal Adobe customer since version 1 of Photoshop, and I must say that Adobe seems to be losing touch with their customers, and customer issues.  I can't even reach an Adobe help desk anymore.  Instead they push their CC licensing on us!

With that mini-rant out of the way, I have four monitors and I find it extremely frustrating that the 2nd window won't stay where I want it.  Why the heck won't Adobe fix this issue?  Several others have suggested a solution, which is allow the user to select a monitor to display the second window on based on the OS assigned monitor number.  This makes the most sense, and would help reduce the frustration levels down.  

Personally, I keep my email client open all the time, and every time I switch away from LR to read an email the second window jumps back to the default location as soon as I switch back to LR to continue working.  I find it hard to believe that Adobe hasn't addressed this issue over the course of a number of years since it was brought to their attention.  Shame on them!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I might add that Adobe already provides a modicum of control in Adobe Premiere.  The windows stay put where you placed them, time after time.  If they can do it for one product they can do it for any product.  I too have four monitors, and I'm very baffled by Adobe's silence on this topic!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Geobert, this worked for me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 18, 2017 Aug 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It works now for me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you tell us what you did Ronald?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

in windows screenproperty's just took the pictograms of the display's en moved them to where i want them.... Lightroom then just followed in the way that screen 2 is major and screen 3 is nr 2 in LR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 07, 2018 Feb 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Similar to what Ronald posted, this setup worked for me. I set monitor #3 as my main display (select monitor #3 and check the box under the "Multiple Displays" section to "make this my main display"). Then drag monitor #1 below monitor #2. Now the primary Lightroom window is displayed on monitor #3 and the secondary LR window is displayed on monitor #2. The only catch, and it's a very tiny catch, is that to get to monitor #1, you'll move your mouse DOWN to monitor #1 instead of directly to the right, from monitor #2, just as shown in the diagram below, because your monitors are no longer configured in a straight line. Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 15, 2018 Mar 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe don ́t resolve this problem yet to this day. "Thanks god" for people like you. Your awesome. THX

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Mar 24, 2018 Mar 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe.  The world has moved on.  First we all had one monitor.  Then we had two monitors and Adobe adjusted.  Now many of us, particularly professionals and advanced non-professionals, have three monitors (or more).

After six years of "complaining," isn't it time for Adobe to give us an elegant solution so that we can use a tertiary monitor with ease when using LR?  C'mon people.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Apr 13, 2018 Apr 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been using Lightroom since version 2. It's gotten so much better in so many ways, but the multi-monitor support is virtually identical, and if you have more than two monitors, it's broken.

I have three monitors. The main monitor, a secondary monitor right next to it, and a third screen is a television in another room and is virtually always turned off. But, because it's still plugged into the computer, the computer still registers three screens connected, and for whatever reason, LR insists that the TV in the other room should be the second screen. Therefore, every time the secondary screen is turned on in LR, it's useless. Sometimes I can turn off full-screen for the second display, and it'll show up on the correct screen. Most of the time though, I actually have to walk into the other room, turn on the tv and move the LR window over to the correct screen.

There is no trick to fixing this. I've searched about every 6 months since first noticing the problem, and nothing has changed across all these versions of the software over all this time. The arrangement of the displays in system settings doesn't matter. Nothing matters. LR insists that TV is where the second window belongs, and I'm getting real tired of it.

Why isn't there a drop down in the Lightroom Settings window to define what the second display should be? This is matured software, and mult-monitor set ups are not even remotely unusual. Can something be done about this? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 13, 2018 Apr 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a solution. Look at Geobert's post above here and my reply to it. OK, it's a bit of a hassle, but it does do the trick...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 08, 2018 Jul 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

7 years ago reported, still no proper solution. Very professional, Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 09, 2018 Jul 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please give us the option to choose which monitor we can use for preview. I have 3 monitor setup and LR never knows which monitor to output to. Always bouncing between the other two. I have a 4k monitor I like using and it would be nice to have a pulldown menu so we could choose which monitor we'd like to have set (and stay set) for previewing. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 04, 2019 Jan 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Really happy to find this fix but as Im not amazing with computers Imhaving a hard time doing this.  It would be great if there was a super easy step by step someone could do out for me.  Ive downloaded the AutoHotKey and then I kind of get stuck lol.  Dont know how to dl the script or edit it.  Any help would be great!!  THX!!!! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 04, 2019 Jan 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Really happy to find this fix but as Im not amazing with computers Imhaving a hard time doing this.  It would be great if there was a super easy step by step someone could do out for me.  Ive downloaded the AutoHotKey and then I kind of get stuck lol.  Dont know how to dl the script or edit it.  Any help would be great!!  THX!!!! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Mar 06, 2019 Mar 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

very frustrating Adobe, so basic to implement.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Mar 06, 2019 Mar 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open letter to the Adobe Lightroom development (team)

We are now Lightroom 8.2
The original request was put online when you had Lightroom 3.5
I think that makes around 5 years and Lightoom had not changed a bit, only CameraRAW did.
That says enough about the development of Lightroom, it is even called "classic" now... *-*
(An Adobe employee once told me personally they are going to keep it “as is” as long it's being used by people, but no plans to make it better in the near future.) Because now there is “the cloud”, “cc”, completely ridiculous as no professional photographer would ever use a cloud to upload 1000x 40MB RAW files, every day.

That said, after 5 years still facing the same problem the only workaround is:
- exit the main window out of full screen mode, leave the second monitor in full screen.
- drag the main window to the monitor where the wrong placed secondary window is shown.
- the secondary full screen window will now move to the third monitor (the correct one)
- now move the main window back to the first monitor, maximise but not go to full screen.
- don't leave lightroom (focus) or the secondary window will be placed back to the wrong monitor
- leave a big shit, put it in an envelope, label it "lightroom development crew" and send it to adobe.

This is what I tried to solve the problem myself (without success):
-plugged out and uninstalled all monitors in Windows 10

-shut down the computer
-plug in the main one and reboot windows => it gets now [ID01] assigned
-plug in the second monitor => it gets now [ID02] assigned
-plug in the third monitor => it gets now [ID03] assigned
-plug in the fouth monitor (a tv screen for video playback) => it gets now [ID04] assigned

So now theoretically Lightroom would assign the second monitor to ID02 (I thought),
but nóó! Lightroom puts it on ID04 ?!
-so I unplug ID04
-lightroom now puts the second monitor on ID03
-(don't you want to jump out of the window right now?)
-if I unplug ID03 it finally gets to ID02
-but I need ID03 for other stuff so I plug it back in
-lightroom immediately changes back to ID03
-I bumped my head

So I thought: “what if I change the order of the DP ports (to my monitors) on my nvidia video card?”
– Now Windows assigns different ID's to my monitors (in the opposite order)
– I thought: now I can trick Lightroom in choosing the right monitor
– but Lightroom keeps finding its way to the same wrong monitor!
– there is absolutely no logic to be found here!

So Adobe, if you even have a lightroom engineer (maybe you bought up the code from some nice programmer in the old times), can he/she please explain us: “on what base” Lightroom chooses the "second monitor" ????
And can he/she please add one line of code, a variable and a drop down menu in the preferences gui;
so your professional users can finally choose their favourite second monitor and use their calibrated equipment the correct way?!

I bought the same AdobeRGB monitor twice so my colours on both monitors would be the same, all for nothing. I'm so tired of the dragging more than 20 times a day!!

Thank you sò very much Adobe! And not only me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mar 19, 2019 Mar 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ronan,  did you get this working for you?  

Here's a copy of my script, and the only line I needed to modify was the "WinMove" coordinates.   You will need to place this in a text file (use Notepad).

#NoEnv  ; Recommended for performance and compatibility with future AutoHotkey releases.
; #Warn  ; Enable warnings to assist with detecting common errors.
SendMode Input  ; Recommended for new scripts due to its superior speed and reliability.
SetWorkingDir %A_ScriptDir%  ; Ensures a consistent starting directory.

; puth this file somewhere and create a shortuct in C:\Users\<User>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\
; so it starts with Windows
#singleinstance 
#NoTrayIcon
#NoEnv

SendMode Input
SetWorkingDir %A_ScriptDir%  ; Ensures a consistent starting directory.

Loop {
SetTitleMatchMode, 3
WinWait, Lightroom - Secondary Display
;WinRestore
WinMove, 3800, 100 ; adjust this coordinates to suit the screen you want the preview to be
WinMaximize
WinWaitClose
}

As commented at the top, you need to place this script in your startup directory so that it executes when your boot up your computer.   I hope this helps you and others.  

Bruce

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Mar 19, 2019 Mar 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is good work. I’m going to try it out.

But, Adobe, notice how users are going to rediculous lengths to just get the windows to arrange correctly on their screens. These customers are worth thousands, maybe tens of thousands of dollars a piece, over the lifetime of our accounts. We shouldn’t have to be programmers to solve this problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate