• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Ability to cull images through rating, color, picks during import

LEGEND ,
Sep 17, 2013 Sep 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wish, I could rate my picture using my evaluation-stars and -colors directly during the import process and adding specific meta-tags maybe just to one photo (and not the entire import).For instance: I am shooting all day for 5 different projects - they all mix on one SD-card. Coming back, I have to go thru the import-process 5 times, looking thru all the pictures over and over again to sort out the pictures for these five projects.Why can ́t I do this straightaway during import? Am I over looking something already there in LR?I hope, you can understand my wish.

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
54 Comments
Enthusiast ,
Dec 31, 2020 Dec 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In LrC, Simply when importing, uncheck the images you do not want to import! Then start the import!

Yves Crausaz, Suisse, retraité actif dans le monde de la photo et des arts graphiques.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 01, 2021 Jan 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@yves_crausaz ?? For a start, starred ratings do not appear in grid mode on the import page - so how would you know what to uncheck? Going through all the images in this view takes for ever. And 'simply' uncheck 1,960 images? That still means scrolling through hundreds of images and unchecking them... Easier said than done. 
 What would be easier is for Adobe to just add 'SORT BY > STARRED RATING'. That would be so easy to implement - no idea why they haven't done this. Photomechanic has done this ages ago...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like a reasonable request, and it surprises me that I cannot find a similar earlier request. Surely you can’t be the only one who would like this?

OTOH I wondered. I never use in-camera star rating myself, because I think it is very time consuming and cumbersome. You can only judge the images on a small LCD screen, so you need to zoom in on each image to check sharpness. You also do not have a compare view, making it extra difficult to decide if this image is really better than the previous one(s). I guess most photographers use the same workflow as I do: They don’t waste time rating images in-camera, but simply import them all and then rate them in Lightroom.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

he unchek button at the foot of the window, then they check only discreet pictures.... So alone will be imported the checking!

Yves Crausaz, Suisse, retraité actif dans le monde de la photo et des arts graphiques.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's been a while.... but I "think" Photomechanic can help with this.  It can import a large shoot MUCH quicker than LR.  At that point you filter based on star rating and just "open" those for editing in LR.  That means PhotoMechanic calls LR to just import only those images.  This saves a LOT of time in the sort of workflow that you describe.

I purchased PM a few years ago for that reason.  Up until this covid year, I do one shoot a year that involves shooting an insane number of images and need to process a very small number of selects quickly.  I'd rate images in camera and then use the workflow described above to get the selects into LR.  I too would LOVE it if star ratings showed during LR import.

Bob Smith

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you love it, then don’t forget to click on the green vote button on the left of the original message.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's easy to forget while editing, is that every second counts. For example, you download 3000 images from an

8 hour shoot, and each RAW image takes 2.5 seconds to 'open / load' & check instead of 1 second. 3000+seconds = approx an extra hour - even more time for slower computers. Over a year, this equals an extra 10-20 days work! (and yes I have a very fast imac)
The thing is clicking through images on the back of the camera = instantaneous /less than 1 second. There is no 'load time'. Lately I have attached my Canon R5 to a huge TV screen with HDMI cable and rate them this way. I can save 1-2 hours per shoot. It's unfortunate that I have to bother, but it's also nice to see the work on a 1 meter screen.
Shooting with the new Canon R5, the ingesting / importing process is even more time consuming / uses more disc space - especially if you are shooting RAW or even CRAW. The other thing is you now have the option to shoot at even higher drive modes (3/6/12/20 frames per sec) so you end up shooting more at key moments.
Only recently, I have  started editing (star rating) after a 'set up'  - ie 1 second burst of 3-6 images = select 1. This also cuts down editing time later as you are spending time on location instead of extra time back in the office / studio selecting images. 
** The other option is to have in the 'loupe' view (in the Import page / dialog) - give us the ability to star images there. Then give us the option to import only starred images. It's not a big ask and it would save us DAYS OF WORK just waiting around for loads / deleting '0 star' images - not to mention tonnes of disc space etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too would use the old / usual post shoot import system. Just make a coffee while waiting. But often have clients ask for 6-10 'hero' images for media straight after event / shoot. I used to import key shots onto my iphone using a lightening to USB adaptor to camera and just airdrop on the spot to clients phone. Pretty great and even faster than stuffing around with Canons wifi etc. Ultimately it would be best if we could 'airdrop' straight from camera image to iphone... (probably happen one day)
If you could just import say 5 starred images onto your laptop - you save important minutes of waiting around as it can take sometimes 15 minutes to ingest so many images - even with CFexpress.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Think I'm tempted to go the PhotoMechanic route. It is adding an extra step in the process though. A sports photographer buddy swears by it. Also good to support the 'little guys' as well. But really this should just be a feature in LR ha. No reason not to have it... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 02, 2021 Jan 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeffrey!
I don't understand why my 'Sort by Star Rating during import' thread was merged with a thread that was started 7 years ago? I mean - if a thread was created to solve a problem / come up with a solution - why has it not been solved in 7 years? Also, now the thread is buried again... Do coders / head honchos ever look at these threads and go 'that is a good idea?' Or are we just wasting time trying to contribute here. 7 years is a long time!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Somebody merged a recent discussion with this thread, but I am not sure that is correct. This thread is about rating during import. The merged thread was about Lightroom filtering images that are rated in-camera. Similar perhaps, but definitely not the same request.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The sad & super lame thing is that this old original thread is over 7 years old - therefore proving that this forum falls on deaf ears!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The commonality among previous comments was about choosing which photos to import based on ratings, pick flags, and other criteria. Some wanted to apply ratings and pick flags in a pre-import window, while others wanted to use the ratings set in-camera. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, I see that I added "why conversations get merged" to the wrong reply -- sorry about that.  Grouping related feature requests together is more likely to influence the product developers, since they use the number of likes and the variety of thoughtful comments to help prioritize development. 

This particular thread did appear to influence Adobe -- a main gripe was that import was way too slow for workflows dealing with hundreds and thousands of photos that were going to get quickly culled. So a later version of LR added the embedded-preview import option, which greatly speeds up import. But that doesn't completely satisfy all of the needs expressed here.

I've made several dozen feature requests over the years, some of which Adobe has implemented in some form (at least partially), most of which not, but I still submit them.  That's the nature of product development. I'm not thrilled about the pace of LR's evolution, but there's no competitor out there that better meets my needs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If Adobe has someone that full time monitors their social media amongst their 20,000 workers - it wouldn't be much of an ask to forward the best ideas to the developers. I used to work for a large govt institution (a museum) on their social media and a lot of relevant interactions / ideas were  shared throughout the organisation fairly quickly.
While here we have something (sort by star on import) that is really a NEED - not a want. It would take a few days of coding on the back end?And it's something that would save photographers hours and days of time per year. Yet they haven't implemented the idea in 7+ years.
Feels like head butting a wall ha. 
I mean - we can't even export slide shows / videos at 4K even after 6 years of asking for it and that would be insanely easy to implement. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Currently, three Adobe employees do regularly participate here: Senior Product Manager Jeff Tranberry, Quality Engineer Rikk Flohr, and Rick (sorry don't know his last name).

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, all Adobe employees are on company-wide two-week holiday break.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a 4 year old thread that just blew up my inbox. 

The topic of why not filter the ratings your camera gives might be because not all cameras use the same "standard" which makes it hard.

PhotoMechanic and... Adobe Bridge that comes with LR can help with this.

I use bridge for most stuff. PM is great when you need to tag too (like for a news wire). Both look at the metadata and use the embedded JPEG for very fast preview. Select the ones in bridge and drag them into LR. You end up on the import page with just the ones you want. I always do a first pass in Bridge. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"not all cameras use the same "standard" which makes it hard."

I've helped a number of people on these forums over the years with getting in-camera ratings being seen in LR (after import). I don't recall any cameras using other than the industry-standard XMP:Rating field. (But it's certainly possible some troglodyte manufacturers don't follow the standard.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this thread has been on a 7 year break 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Apr 25, 2022 Apr 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be awesome if in the import dialogue there would be an option to sort by rated only. 

For better understanding:

On a documentation with fast delivery I rate my photos in cam. But I'm shooting tons of photos. So at the moment I'm importing (+copying) all the photos. But first I have to import ALL and copy ALL, the moment this is done I filter them by rated pictures and ignore all other. So if it would be possible in the dialogue to filter by rated photos, that would be awesome. Instead of copying 500 pictures, I just would need to import and copy those 30 rated photos.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 27, 2022 Apr 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Oct 16, 2022 Oct 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to have an option to filter starred images before importing them into LR catalogue. 

I produce a lot of images during the shoots especially during fashion catwalks and start some of the best ones in the camera but I still have to import all the images to see which ones are starred and delete the rest. I think it would be super timesaving having such filter during import process available.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 16, 2022 Oct 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate