• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Ability to lock photos to prevent further editing

LEGEND ,
Apr 03, 2011 Apr 03, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a relatively newbie to Lightroom and I think it is fantastic.

It does occur to me that pros who have been using Lightroom for a while understand all the issues about selections, settings, copying, pasting, synchronising etc etc.

Like many things in life the people who do things almost as second nature forget what it was like to be a beginner.

The one thing that has surprised me about lightroom is that I cannot find a way of indicating "I am happy with this - I just want to lock it to ensure I don't damage, amend or delete it" through my own incompetence.

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 209 Replies 209
209 Comments
Explorer ,
Sep 08, 2020 Sep 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Yves,

can you link the article?

That's news to me and why would I not have the soft falloff preview when using a soft brush when it was always there before?:)

Maybe we talk about different issues, though.
Creating worlds for screen and paper - also offering photo resources and HDRIs on www.dziga.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The field to search works!!!!

https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/ps-redimension-of-brushes-and-pencils-on-scre...

Yves Crausaz, Suisse, retraité actif dans le monde de la photo et des arts graphiques.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the heads up, Jeff!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting, looking forward to see the improvements to the new UI here...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
May 16, 2021 May 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

after 7 years of using Lightroom I have at present over 340’000 images in my Lightroom Classic version.
many more images rest on my 3 units of Drobo 5D which I have deleted out of the catalog of LrC to keep the catalog smaller.

while cleaning up to free disk space it is possible to make mistakes and delete images I need to keep for ever or especially when deleting older images out of the LrC catalog where I do not really remember the story or I did not yet Flag properly during my learning period. 

example: I make a book with a few hundreds of images in Lr.
months later l happen to accidentally delete some images while not beeing on the book module. 
this should not be possible as long as my book is still kept in Lr. 
or l mark some images one day for ever to be kept and months later l accidentally delete some of them while cleaning up my forlders. should be blocked by Lr as I am working in Lr.

of course I have the images flagged, coloured, starred etc. I have 2 full backups to my RAID system. I backup catalog every day etc.
I know and do Flag images to keep them or Flag images to XX them. but in fact even a Flagged image to keep can be easily deleted. and I know I can block images from deleting via the OS of my computer. but I am not talking about this.

of course I know I can go to my backups and search for the deleted files and copy them back to the original drive. but sometimes the work is very time consuming.

my wish after all these years of using Lightroom ?
Adobe programmers to make an additional FLAG to BLOCK an image from intentional/unintentional deleting preventing so deleting an image. only after the FLAG has been neutralised the image can be deleted. It should be a normal Lightroom FLAG. in the same spot as the other flags are shown. and make a FILTER command for this BLOCK FLAG.

I think it is an easy programming step to help all the users of Lightroom to prevent deleting images by mistake.

what do you think ?

btw: I am a professional photographer serving media with images.

Giancarlo Cattaneo, Switzerland

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 17, 2021 Nov 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I shoot a multi-day event for a client, I often edit a handful of images very quickly to deliver as fast as possible for their immediate needs (this is known as delivering "dailys"). I then go back the next day or two and edit the rest of the photos and deliver them separately.

Sometimes, when I come back to edit the remainder of the photos, I have already edited an image in a certain way that is different from how I'll edit the rest of the images, so that I wouldn't want any synchronized image adjustments to apply to those "daily" specific photos I've already edited and delivered to the client.

I would like to "lock" individual images from any later adjustments having an effect on that image. This would avoid any mistaken edits that I didn't want to happen. The worst is when you've accidently editied something and you can't get it back or remember how you edited it. The image "lock" would be extremely valuable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Sep 04, 2022 Sep 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Fully agree LR should have a lock image option, but Adobe is becoming increasingly weird with LRC / ACR / PS.

Meanwhile - did anyone try simly locking image and xmp in the Finder?

Votes

Translate

Translate