• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Ability to set up a queue up and schedule several tasks at a time when not by your computer

Explorer ,
Jun 13, 2011 Jun 13, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, I'm not sure I can describe this good. But sometimes LR is slow when you start a few tasks, like exporting images to jpgs, web galleries, etc, that you wish that those could be done at a time when you're not by your computer (say at a coffee break, lunch or even leaving the office for the day).

It would be cool with a feature where you could queue several tasks, that can be done when the computer is having "down time" or when you tell it to "start processing task queue" or similar.

Or a possibility for third party vendors to script something like this (or even yourself if you're fairly good as scripting).

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
44 Comments
New Here ,
Oct 19, 2015 Oct 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

EXPORT QUEUE !!!!!!
I was looking for a place where I could place a feature request and this is where it brought me. Sorry if I'm in the wrong place. But I would love it if Lightroom would have an Export Queue. This way I could work on my project, setup the queue, start my next project and then run the queue at the end of the day. When I come back all the exports have been taken care of. I don't like having to wait for an export and not be able to work on another Lightroom project until it is done. If anyone reads this please help me get this feature included into the program. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't be stopped for hours! I need to work on other catalogs while LR exports my photos! : )
Other Adobe softwares have an external processing queue for rendering. It should be the same here.
Don't forget that a professional photographer usually exports thounsands of photos at once and in the meantime he could work on other catalogs, not losing precious time. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since i'm exporting my shoots in various ways with multiple export pre-sets it would be a great addition to schedule and/or queuing multiple exports in a row. (sort of Adobe Media Encoder / Actions)

In this way i can still work in Lightroom, and also will me save a lot of time with doing the export-thing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gotta chime in here: For the longest time, LR did a serial export. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5.... Many users noticed that you could queue up 3 exports to peg the CPU and in the newest version of LR2015 the programmers have built it in so that the it pegs the CPU. I like that but for those of you that want to queue up work but continue to do work in LR, there really needs to be a toggle switch somewhere to revert back to the serial export to maintain UI usability.

I would love to see that option in this proposed job queue. Batch up a bunch of jobs (export, 1:1 previews, etc), tell LR how much CPU you want to utilize (turn it up to 11!) or even pause all exports to regain UI responsiveness.

Those of you that are wondering "where the heck is this feature?" should take note that a queue has implications. Say, at 5PM, you batch up 10 exports for 10PM but thereafter delete a bunch of files or move them. LR has to keep track of that and block you from doing actions that alter your queue jobs. I imagine that's not an easy thing to program.

And, for the record, why is h e double hockey stick blocked on this site? A family forum? Not.
[ ◉"]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How about giving users control over the export queue? I want to be able to pause/unpause an export. See, I might have four or five exports of up to 1000 or more images per export job running. I want to be able pause all but one in order to accelerate the next stage of a workflow. How about it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See this related topic about how LR becomes unusable for many when there's an ongoing export: http://feedback.photoshop.com/photosh...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

multi threading fail ???

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 26, 2016 Jan 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be beneficial to have the ability to string together commands or create menu command macros. For example each time I am finished with a client job I re-render 1:1 previews, Convert the images to DNG files, Publish to two publish services, Export the photos using a preset, and export the folder as a catalog.

It would be great if I could just create a preset for those actions and Lightroom could start running them one after another.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 13, 2016 Sep 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd like to see a scheduling box with times, etc. I'd like to be able to work on a few projects for the day, then schedule all my exports to be done after hours when I am not using my computer. I have a pretty beast computer, but it still is slowed down dramatically when exporting jpgs. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 06, 2019 May 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

8 YEARS!!!

And this has not been added. It is just so sad. It just as simple as putting it in Queue....

I wish to just keep putting exports of say 2k images per event and about 3 events every day and wish to export about 3 to 4 days event making it easily 12 to 15k images

I always have hard time multiple exports; before leaving for client meetings. As LR gets crazy slow after 3rd export in parallel. I wish that I set export in queue and when I leave work station for client meetings and know I would return in 8 hours or so; I will have all tasks done.

This is just such an important idea

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 26, 2019 Sep 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also still waiting.
I have 20.000 photos a week. And it is absolutely horrible without this queue possibility.

In Premiere Pro there is such an possibility within the media encoder. Why is Adobe still waiting to publish this in LR?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Sep 27, 2020 Sep 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem with HDR merge. No batch processing or queueing.  Have to do it one at a time.

Now I'm encountering an old problem, which is trying to export multiple folders overnight.

The job queue is long overdue for an update.  There needs to be a way to submit multiple jobs to be processed in series, not in parallel.

Each folder takes 1 hour.  I'm not going to wake up every hour to export the next folder.  I want to export all the folders at one time, each to their own separate folder.  But for example, if I try to export 4 folders, submitting one immediately after submitting the other, I get 4 export jobs running in parallel, processing 4x4  = 16 photos at the same time.  In the past, I didn't get any crashes.  But now with the latest Lightroom Classic, it always crashes if I try exporting more than 2 folders at the same time.  I have no choice but to wait until one folder is completely exported before submitting the next folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Oct 04, 2021 Oct 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Something I have posted long time ago, this is still a crucial missing feature:

- Import of pictures needs a priority management and the ability to pause and to queue picture imports. Especially if we are talking about professionals dealing with hundreds of pictures under time pressure, who have maybe to work at the same time in Photoshop.

I can't use my computer, while Lightroom is importing, so I would need to pause this.

In CaptureOne this is implemented, and this is the reason why professionals choose capture, despite of its higher price, over Lightroom.

- The same with export: A MANAGABLE Render QUEUE is missing. I would like to prepare all my stuff, and when I choose, now it's time to render everything out, I start the render queue and not right after the first picture, and when I decide, I have to do something else on my computer, I can pause it.

I am adjusting pictures manually and send one by one to the export. But as soon as the export starts, the work is delayed and not anymore realtime.

- Finally I am missing, especially when rendering out look variations from one picture, that I can automatically add the preset name, in order to know later, with which preset it was generated.

I get only a numbering and the feature ist missing. Again, this makes it hardly usable for professionals, we need full control over what we are doing and a proper naming, that explains from which source with which preset the picture was generated.

This all is much more important to professionals than amateur stuff like a repair stamp. You can add as many features as you want, it makes Lightroom not better as long as the basic features are missing.

-----------------------------------------------

Thread merged with similar request by Forum Modertor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree this was a feature available in Rawshooter Premium which I used prior to the launch of Lightroom. It was an application developed by Pixmantec, the company was acquired by Adobe in mid 2006. It was very useful particularly in the export process. When you finished editing an image you could immediately add to an export queue which functioned in the background while you continued editing other images. That way by the time your editing is done the export function would finish shortly after.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm someone from the professional German photographers association (BFF), I have even been in contact with Adobe Germany and I have also written (in German) a long detailed explanation a half year ago, to explain, why this is so important for professionals. No result or announcement unil today. I really would like to get a statement from anyone, who is really one from the Adobe decision makers. Thanks in advance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This all is much more important to professionals than amateur stuff like a repair stamp. You can add as many features as you want, it makes Lightroom not better as long as the basic features are missing.

While I agree that the ablity to Pause and Manage Queues would be a very useful addition, I don't believe it's something unique to professionals!

BTW, as a non professional user of LrC, I up voted your request

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, honestly, that's shocking: I can see the request is 10 years old - which is a decade !!!!!!!!!

Any feedback from Adobe on this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 12, 2022 Nov 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Agree, especially ow we have these huge files from camera.

would be great to queue all my panoramas, hdr, outputs, etc, then it does each one in order after I walk off for something else. media encoder has this! 
the more I have to do on a project the slower it gets, having a task queuing management would make me and the software more efficient, and worth the cost

Votes

Translate

Translate