• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Ability to sync Smart Collections with Ecosystem Clients

Community Beginner ,
Apr 08, 2014 Apr 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Collection synching / Lightroom Mobile is a great addition to Lightroom 5.4. Please extend this functionality to Smart Collections as well.

Idea Declined
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 15, 2021 Sep 15, 2021

While you are waiting for Adobe to implement that suggestion, you could have a look at this plug-in from Jeffrey Friedl: http://regex.info/blog/lightroom-goodies/smart-collection-sync

As Jeffrey himself admits, it's a bit kludgy....but it does work.

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 342 Replies 342
342 Comments
New Here ,
Sep 06, 2015 Sep 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The synced collection on mobile could be made read-only -- problem solved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Sep 06, 2015 Sep 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agree with Brian here, and disagree with Mike. Aperture has had this feature for years so it is both technically possible and usable for the customer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 08, 2015 Sep 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just signed up for Lightroom CC and the first feature I tried to do is to sync my smart collection.. Only to find out we can't. And it's been 1 year since people asked for this!

Like what others have suggested, a simple undo button will fix the problem of disappearing photo from collection by unflag.

Tom Hogarty from Adobe, please let us know if this is going to be fixed, otherwise I'm going to cancel my subscription and request for a refund.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 20, 2015 Sep 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This feature would be HUGE in automating updates and additions to a mobile portfolio. Lightroom workflow would surely benefit from this functionality.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 20, 2015 Sep 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or Adobe could understand that users might *want* the ability to edit collections out and about. The photo is still on the computer, just not in the collection so accidental changes aren't a huge issue. Its very easy to accidentally change ratings on the computer as well - one keypress only, but that is not an argument for not supporting ratings...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 26, 2015 Sep 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have removed the LR mobile app from all of my devices. Without this feature, LR mobile is useless to me. I want to take photographs, not sit around on my bum managing 'dumb' collections so they'll be available on my mobile devices.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 30, 2015 Sep 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unless Smart collections will sync with LR Mobile, I will have to cancel my Lightroom CC subscription. This feature is a necessity, not an option! I am sure hundreds if not thousands users will do the same...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 01, 2015 Oct 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why this feature isn't already implemented is beyond me.
I see no point in having the LR app on my mobile devices if I have to manually add images to a dumb collection to get it to sync.
Why have an automated synchronization feature in an application if you have to manually manage the files that get automated. Really??!?!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 04, 2015 Oct 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wanted to create two smart collections. Both based on a keyword "Mobile Review". In addition to the keyword, one collection would contain unrated, rejected and less than 3 stars. The other collection would contain 3 stars and higher. That way, as I review and edit on my iPad the photos would move from one collection to the other making it easier for me to review my rated photos. If I accidentally rejected or set a photo to a low rating it would appear in the other collection and I could un-do my change.
So - I would really like to see smart collections supported with synch. I'd also like to see better filtering options on the mobile device.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 06, 2015 Oct 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was hoping to see this feature added with the new update. Unfortunately, it has not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 07, 2015 Oct 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This would be an excellent feature that would greatly improve the value of LR Mobile. I have a Smart Collection that gathers all my film photos, and I would love for that to sync to my mobile devices for easy review.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 18, 2015 Oct 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As do most respondents, I only use Smart Collections. This is an essential feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 18, 2015 Oct 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please add sync to smart collection. I was surprised to find out such an important feature was not supported.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 19, 2015 Oct 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just set up a smart collection for a client and then realised it couldn't be synced to Lightroom Mobile (which I plan on using a lot when the iPad Pro is released). Stumbled across this thread as I was sure I was making a mistake to find out it isn't supported. Please add this functionality Adobe!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 19, 2015 Oct 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just checking back in - still waiting for this to be implemented (until it is, LR mobile is of very limited use to me). This was one of the great things about Aperture ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 04, 2015 Nov 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes! Please add. it will simplify our life!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 09, 2015 Nov 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Syncing smart collections was the ONLY reason for me to download LRM and I was so disappointed to find out that it's not possible. Adobe please add this feature! This would have major impact on my workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Nov 11, 2015 Nov 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I really am surprised this still isn't possible. I stopped using Lightroom with this as my main reason. I thought I'd see how Apple Photos measured up. Well that was a disaster with the size of my library, so I'm back on Lightroom.

For me at least, if syncing smart collections really is so difficult to implement, I'd be happy if there were just a way to sync the most recent 1000 images or the past month. Like Apple's Photostream. I just don't want to have to manually maintain the collection that syncs, as I forget to do it, then when I go to edit on my iPad, the images are not there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't believe only 513 people like this idea. Are you, the rest, making manual collections to do stuff with your photos on LR Mobile? Ridiculous. Smart collections are the MUST MUST MUST feature. I have LR Mobile installed on my iPad, but never used, don't even have a subscription. Because - there are NO SMART COLLECTIONS there. ADOBE, please, can you think WORKFLOW instead of SLIDESHOW? Seriously.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree entirely.
I'm fortunate in still having a plugin from Rob Cole working that automatically syncs selected smart collections with static collections for syncing with LR Mobile. My workflow wouldn't work without it.
It needs to be part of LR Mobile.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Suggestion & apologies in advance for a bit of pessimism here: Adobe seems to be making unnecessary refinements to Lightroom (like that infamous Import feature) instead of paying customers...

A minor update to LR mobile just came out this morning. Could you all take the time to go to AppStore and voice your opinion in review?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I can't believe only 513 people like this idea."

This is the third most popular topic in these forums, superseded only by feedback on the new import screen of LR CC 2015.2:

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 24, 2015 Nov 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We need this. Really, really need this. Please... Has there been any progress at Adobe in this direction?

Trying to manually manage standard collections with their smart analogs is ridiculous. Finding things quickly on your phone when in a meeting or social situation is essential. No one has their laptop with them all the time to search for an image. The functionality should also extend to syncing folders as well, again without having to maintain a separate collection for the contents of what you had in each folder to begin with.

The ability to *create* a smart collection on mobile would be icing on the cake and I think would solidify Lightroom as the perfect tool for the modern professional.

Even with iCloud you can at least do a text search that looks at keywords, and we Lightroom users are left without any mobile ability to harness the power of all the metadata we've created.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 24, 2015 Nov 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And yes, I understand that creating a smart collection on mobile would potentially result in some images from the catalog not displaying because they weren't already in the Creative Cloud. And yes, if the user changes something within the app that ends up excluding an image it might not be immediately accessible again from the cloud.

Please look past these minor considerations and give us the major functionality we need to do business efficiently. Apple has dumbed the whole process down so far as to be unmanageable. Those of us using Adobe products are well aware of what we're doing and need professional tools to present our work. Agreed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 06, 2015 Dec 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i too have more smart collections than regular so I want to be able to sync them like regular collections.

Votes

Translate

Translate