• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Add 10-bit/channel color display support

LEGEND ,
Aug 04, 2011 Aug 04, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom: Add 10-bit support for end-to-end 10-bit workflow. That is, Application->Driver->Graphics Card->Monitor for true 10-bit color. At the moment, all that's missing is the application. CS5 supports 10-bit color, why not Lightroom?

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , May 09, 2016 May 09, 2016
Steve is correct.

On Mac: Lightroom has always uses the 16-bit math throughout in the develop module (with ProPhotoRGB as the internal working color space). With the GPU acceleration, it requires at least Lr 6.2 and later.

On Windows: It also uses the same 16-bit ProPhotoRGB math for internal image renders. But the result image data of the final monitor color transform (for display) is currently limited to 8-bit.

Votes

Translate

Translate
66 Comments
LEGEND ,
Mar 04, 2019 Mar 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The NEC PA271Q and PA272W monitors use an 8 bit/color panel with FRC dithering to achieve 10 bit/color depth, which is 30 bit RGB.....same as the iMac Pro.

https://www.displayspecifications.com/en/comparison/115762319

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, good to know–Thanks Cameron!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So we do. Have quite a few genuine 10 bit panels out there. From what I understand is that it gives a truer rendition of the image without the gaps created by the inability to show intermediate colours, whether we can actually see them or not 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's debatable whether you can actual see the difference between 10 bit/color and 8 bit/color with FRC dithering. However, depending on how the dithering is implemented it may cause eyestrain for some users.  I've been using my NEC PA272w monitor with 8 bit/color + FRC dithering for three years now with no issues.

Keep in mind that the FRC dithering is only used by the monitor with 10bit/color enabled applications. Currently (for me) only PS has this capability, which is used for no than 10% of my daily screen time (Web, Email, Editing, etc.).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Todd, I meant to suggest with my Viewsonic comment that a reputable manufacturer would specify if it uses 8 bit + AFC to achieve a 10-bit equivalent. I am surprised that NEC and presumably others would not, and it is yet another complication. I am thankful to learn of the displayspecifications website and that knowledgeable folks rely on it. Tell me if I am naive to think that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm finding conflicting reports about the NEC PA271Q's panel. I think it might actually be a true 10-bit panel and displayspecifications might need to update their site/verify with NEC. 

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/compare/NEC_PA271Q-BK-SV_27%22_16%3A9_Color-Critical_IPS_Monitor_with...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed. I don' know why it should be so hard to find the "real" panel specification and not just stated as 10 bit/color 1.07 Billion colors. I found two search pages at TFT Central for panel model lookup by monitor model with specifications. Unfortunately the Panel Search pulls up incomplete panel part numbers such as LM270WQ3 for the NEV PA272w and the even less precise 27"WS LG.Display AH-IPS for the NEC PA271Q.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/panelsearch.htm

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/monitor_panel_parts.htm

Below are all of the 27" 10 bit/color panels listed in the Monitor Panel Parts database.

(Click on picture to see full-size)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yea this panel is quite frustrating to find info for... I suspect this new one might actually be a 10 Bit panel. The "True 10 Bit Color" phrase in the press release leads me to believe that. 

I'd love to know as I currently have a PA272W and it might be time to replace mine soon. It's starting to become less and less uniform. It lived a good life though. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 05, 2019 Mar 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't find anything on the NEC PA271Q-BK that is definitive. Try contacting NEC Tech Support and let us know if they even have a clue–Thanks!

Desktop Monitors
Large Screen Displays
Multimedia Projectors
Telephone Support 7:00 AM to 7:00 PM CT
(800) 632-4662

Email Support
techsupport@necdisplay.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 01, 2021 Mar 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, please add 10-bit per channel color display support. All my hardware and other software is at least 10 bpc, just not LR. That's a big flaw!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 07, 2021 May 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This request is 10 years old and still no proper response from Adobe beyond "Too bad, live with it".

This is not rocket science, it's coding. it's not too hard. It's not too expensive.

Our monthly subscriptions should have more than covered to cost to get this simple thing done. I'm pretty tired of excuses.

PS - I appreciate the detailed technical discussions below. Still, Let's get the job done, eh Adobe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
May 07, 2021 May 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, happy anniversary,  dear feature request. 10 years, that asks for a big fat cake, at least as big as the middle finger Adobe is giving us all this time (not that I am surprised).

But on the other side, during those 10 years, has really anything changed?

AMD and NVIDIA are still unable to make up their minds whether they should fully unlock 10bit output on consumer cards (GTX/RTX/Radeon/Vega). They came up with these half-assed solutions such as OK, maybe we enable 10bit for DirectX (looking at you, NVIDIA), or, let's give this new checkbox that will not do anything, but you would not really notice anyway (AMD).

10bit HDR movies/displays should be the driving force, but card manufacturers are still unwilling to give up their Quadro/RadeonPro exclusivity and are just making the whole situation even more confusing to all, but expert users. I don't believe developers are happy about this either. Photoshop support of the 10-bit workflow also did not improve significantly if at all.

I am not whining, I am just stating the facts as they are.

Again, happy 10-year anniversary everyone! Live long and prosper, so that one day...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
May 08, 2021 May 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Skippi,

Geforce cards do have 10bit/channel output (also for OpenGL) since at least a year or so. You don´t need a Quadro for that anymore. Even my old GTX 970 is able now to output 10bit/channel in Photoshop, which I can easily see and test. It´s night and day compared to 8 bit/channel. My new RTX 3060 can do it, as well.

But I support the request for 10bit/channel output for LR and ACR. Although the display dithering does a remarkable job.

What do you mean by "Photoshop support of the 10-bit workflow also did not improve significantly if at all." What should be improved?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
May 09, 2021 May 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Stefan,

thanks for the correction, indeed, it seems like 10-bit has been unlocked in the consumer drivers, that is great to see. We need to see at least one major raw image editor to jump the ship and I am sure the rest will follow soon. It would not surprise me all that much if the support is already there, just "hidden" waiting for wider adoption of 10bit workflows.

Votes

Translate

Translate