• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Add text notes to photos, stacks, folders, directories, collections

Explorer ,
May 04, 2011 May 04, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let me add text notes to photo, stacks of photos, and directories of photos so that I can record shot and processing details. I'd like to be able to print the notes along with an image thumbnail.

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
98 Comments
Jan 22, 2017 Jan 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a professional user, using Lightroom since v1 through 4, in conjunction with PS, I have often wanted to make this suggestion: we are frequently needing the ability to use something akin to a simple 'Post-it-Note' to record 'to do' type tasks or other relevant information on an INDIVIDUAL photo in a collection. We often exhaust all our colour coding and rating options, and it would be just SO useful to have a portion of the screen where a little popup can be shown, looking exactly like a post it note, where we can jot down info about the photo. It would greatly improve our workflow, as currently, we have to use notebooks etc to write things down. It is not something you can put in the metadata etc, but an 'on the fly' popup for each photo as requqired. Would be mighty handy.

We would store customers info, print sizes, actions we wish to use, etc etc, the list is endless really. It would be a killer feature in my opinion. We use a Win 7 post it notes currently, but that is not exactly streamlined, and is not tied to each photo, so next to useless.

Would appreciate you consideration

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 22, 2017 Jan 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On the Photo drop down menu, could we get a "Notes" tab, that acts like a post it note? attach to an image. It would be real handy with development and printing. Coming back at a later date you could pop the note and see just what you were thinking. i.e. printing an image 3/4 different ways, which one seemed the best. History is no help because it records all or none, but the note could tell you. Maybe the note could be attached to, "noted in history" as well. Maybe a flag could be attached to a history item to mark a preference?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 23, 2017 Jan 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a professional photographer and author I need to keep notes on photographs that I take. I think every photo has a story and it is hard to remember details over time. Also putting a book together in Lightroom a memo field would be exceptionally important. I small note icon could be added to the edge of the photo. When you click on it Lightroom opens a Memo Field. Since Lightroom is database driven it would seem to be a not so complex task to add a Memo Field to the data storage table and a memo window to add notes. Then in the book module you could create a text area and then past the notes from the photo in the text field.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 31, 2017 Jan 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using quite a lot of collections in my LR catalogue (about 35 000 photos kept in the catalogue and more than a hundred collections) I would find quite useful and efficient to have a field for collection description.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 10, 2017 Feb 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am curious why , in the Library module, comments are not supported.  I really need a place to put notes; some type of free form text. Lightroom does a great job of tracking what you did to an image but provides no place to document your thought processes.  I often find myself trying to remember why I made a post processing decision or things that I tried that didn't produce a desired outcome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jul 02, 2019 Jul 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

how? the Comment section is disabled for every photo I have. So how can I add notes?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems that the link to your tool is broken. And JB's Big Note doesn't allow me to add a note in LR6. I paste in the note and it disappears

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're referring to Rob Cole's CustomMetadata plugin, unfortunately Rob passed away 4 years ago and his plugins are no longer supported. You can still download it from here: https://github.com/DaveBurns/rc_CustomMetadata. I don't know how well it works in LR 8.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Comments panel is for displaying comments that users have entered on photos that have been published to Flickr, Smugmug, etc. via a LR publishing service, so it's not useful for what you want to do.

I think Lee Jay was referring to the standard metadata fields: Title, Caption, User Comment (in the EXIF tag set of the Metadata panel), Headline.  If your workflow doesn't otherwise use one of these fields, you can use it for your notes. They will expand in the Metadata panel to accommodate multiple lines.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 14, 2019 Sep 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can select what metadata to be shown by selecting from the metadata dropdown list in the right panel. There's a subsection called 'workflow' if you select 'EXIF and IPTC' in the dropdown, This can be multi-line if you press ctrl-enter.
If you select 'IPTC' in the dropdown, the subsection is called 'Status' instead (?!)
Nothing will be seen on the photo but at least it can be used as a small notepad / postit substitute.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Nov 01, 2019 Nov 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to have a "metadata" field or fields associated with each Lightroom collection or smart collection folder.  if that approach could also be extended to the physical folders on a disk drive that store image files, that would be nice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There already is. Use the Filter bar. It works for every Folder, Collection, Smart collection or Keyword you have selected.
If a folder is selected the Filter bar can be used for Filtering out, actually Showing, all images that meet your Filters. I say Filters because you can Select Multiple parts of the filter bar. Like Text and Metadata and even All of them. Although to select more than 2 you have to hold down the Ctrl key.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Just Shot Me.  The issue here is, "How do I set up those filters?"  If I'm supposed to do keywords, that seems like an awkward approach, compared to a note like:

start culling process at file _XXX21318.NEF.

This sort of note is quick to write, and quite self-explanatory.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Nov 09, 2019 Nov 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For what it's worth, I finally got around to making a plugin that I've been using to add notes to collections & folders fit for public consumption. Not photos, just yet, it's on the todo list.

Essentially it allows you to create and view markdown notes to the current active source (selected collection or folder).

Briefe explanation at https://buggeringabout.com/daisynotes-for-lightroom/ along with a link to the download.

If someone can confirm it's all working I'd appreciate it and I hope it's of some use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Nov 09, 2019 Nov 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried it on Windows 10 (installed Typora first). I had to restart Lightroom before it worked. I could make annotations on folders and collections but smart collections too! This is my configuration:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Nov 10, 2019 Nov 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cool. And good to know. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 23, 2020 Jun 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A note field on the photo would be great so the reason, or the circumstance or the processing techniques can be recorded as part of the picture

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Jun 24, 2020 Jun 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reasonable request. I'll look into it.

Also, I changed the download link after the site was down for a bit. https://buggeringabout.com/daisynotes/

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 24, 2020 Jun 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Lightroom Classic there are already 2 fields for notes: 1) the User Comment field under EXIF. I use that for workflow information. 2) Under Workflow there is the Instructions field. I use that for other info I want to remember but don't want to put in the Caption.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Oct 31, 2020 Oct 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But not on collections, folders, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Nov 05, 2020 Nov 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Excellent idea. I've been using the "Instructions" IPTC field for short notes to myself, but I like your idea better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 11, 2021 Mar 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What about notes meant for an external retoucher. So they would need to be location specific notes for each image. Like "bring skin detail out in this circled area). This will allow photographers to bypass photoshop and keep the image in its RAW form and send only one file to the retoucher. Thoughts? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 11, 2021 Mar 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't use an external retoucher, but I do use the User Comment to remind myself of the processes I have followed to prepare photos. For example, "Edited in Lr. Shake reduction in Ps. Heal/clone/patching in Ps. Final retouching in Lr."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Mar 14, 2021 Mar 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 14, 2021 Nov 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to make remarks for folders. In the moment i can only mark them with color. Want to see it as a ToolTip or in a special window. Is it possible in the moment? Any workaround?

Votes

Translate

Translate