• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Ask to confirm that an import metadata preset should clear a field

LEGEND ,
Nov 07, 2021 Nov 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[This post contains formatting and embedded images that don't appear in email. View the post in your Web browser.]

When the user tries to save a metadata import preset with blank fields checked, LR should issue a warning:

------------------------------

Warning: You've checked the following fields but left them blank: User Comment, GPS, Altitude (and 5 more fields). This will clear those fields on photos imported with this preset. Is that what you want?

[] Don't show again                        Cancel   Confirm

------------------------------

Rationale:

A frequently asked question in LR forums: Why isn't LR importing GPS coordinates or (less frequently) some other metadata field?

Invariably, the user is applying a metadata import preset in which GPS or another field is blank but checked. LR does try to inform the user that this will clear the blank, checked fields:

johnrellis_0-1636302965652.png

But this is obviously not working for many users, perhaps because when they check a whole category, all the fields get that grey message, "Type to add, leave blank to clear", and at that point, they don't understand the consequences of the grey "leave blank to clear" messages and just ignore them.  It's usually much later (days, weeks, or months) they notice the missing GPS fields and naturally don't connect the import preset with the missing GPS.

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
2 Comments
LEGEND ,
Nov 08, 2021 Nov 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's what the most recent person said about the current grey message:

"And I was indeed confused about that instruction. I thought by checking it that would make SURE that data would be imported with the file, not CLEAR it… <Head Slap!>…."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Nov 09, 2021 Nov 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Oh yes, I hear this one all the time, gets my vote.

Votes

Translate

Translate