• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Change designation from Aspect Ratio to Orientation

Explorer ,
Apr 17, 2023 Apr 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just about every photographer using a camera and Lightroom would understand what is meant by "portrait or landscape" to define a photograph's orientation - (long edge horizontal for Landscape and vertical for portrait.)

Most photographers also know that "aspect ratio" refers to the ratio of one edge length to the other. 3:2 or 7:5 etc.

So, why on earth do Adobe "smart collection" have a filter called "Aspect Ratio" which then lists "Portrait, Landscape or Square" as the three available options? So two orientations and a 1:1 aspect ratio are sort of mixed up. 

Why do Adobe misuse "aspect ratio" for filters for smart collection to mean orientation?

And no consistency, in the Crop in the Develop model they offer "Aspect Ratio" correctly to be, well, aspect ratio and not orientation.

Mad? Or is there a reason?

Why not use industry standard nomenclature? 

Could we ask Adobe to call orientation, well, orientation?

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
4 Comments
LEGEND ,
Apr 20, 2023 Apr 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I fully agree. But the inconsistent, non-standard use of "aspect ratio" to mean "orientation" has been present from the beginning, and I'm very skeptical it will ever get changed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 09, 2023 Jun 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I was wondering why the Aspect Ratio metadata filter currently only sorts by photo orientation. Given the name, one would expect it to filter by standard aspect ratios (3:2, 4:5, 16:9, etc.). Perhaps this can be updated or renamed in a future update. For instance, why not call it "Orientation" if it sorts by horizontal & vertical images? That would make more sense than calling it "Aspect Ratio"-- a term with a specific meaning. 

I am currently using LR Classic v 12.3, on Mac OS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To filter by the true (numeric) aspect ratio, you'll need the Any Filter plugin

I think Adobe's misuse of the term "aspect ratio" dates from the beginning of LR, and thus in my opinion it's very unlikely Adobe will ever change it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate