• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Customizable groups for quick collection

Community Beginner ,
Dec 29, 2022 Dec 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I often find myself in the situation where I wish I had more customization options for the Quick Collection in Lightroom Classic. The ability to divide projects into 5 different colors is a favorite feature of mine, but unfortunately 5 colors is usually not enough.

For example, you could add groups with small graphical dividers and the ability to name them.
This would be very useful for larger projects and/or projects with a certain number of images per client.
Besides the advantage of being able to better distinguish projects both in the filmstrip and in the grid view.

Thank you very much.
Kind regards

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
5 Comments
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moved to Ideas so others can upvote. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're clearly into the domain of using Collection Sets and Target Collections for a little more power that the Quick Collection provides. Target Collections are just collections that take on the roll of the Quick Collection, which you can of course add colour labels to. 

Sean McCormack. Author of 'Essential Development 3'. Magazine Writer. Former Official Fuji X-Photographer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First of all thanks for your response. 
I'm familiar with (target) collections but that's not what I was aiming for with my idea. It doesn't quite do the trick in this regard and it is a bit too fiddly.

I try to clarify my point with an example:
Let's say I have a project for a client. The client needs a certain amount of images per motif a, b, c, d... s, t.
If I add a collection for every motif this quickly gets confusing as I do not have a total oversight and ideally I want to keep them in one collection in the first place.
With the idea of customizable groups there would be a tool to better distinguish smaller categories.

I often photograph trainings with several participants, so this situation is quite familiar to me.
Another example would be larger photobook projects with many different sections which could benefit from this.

I apologize if this thing is bit a too special interest.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe this will help: if you look in the metadata for images, the colour setting is simply a label setting, and it can be set to other text.  This text is then usable in a smart collection set using the Label Text (rather that Label Color). Another method could be to add a coded keyword (eg Amotif, Bmotif etc) added to each required grouping - keywords can be more flexibly searched in smart collections. You can quickly apply the labels or keywords using the painter tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Dec 30, 2022 Dec 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks, this will definitely help with organization.
It still lacks visibility for larger quantities, but nevertheless this will be useful.

Votes

Translate

Translate