• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Delete Images on Card after Import

LEGEND ,
Jun 03, 2011 Jun 03, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would love to get an option to let LR automatically delete images from the card after they have been successfully imported. Images on the card that have not been imported, are let alone, of course.

It would serve two purposes for me:
1. It would save me deleting the images manually.
2. It would dramatically improve the experience of importing images from one card into different catalogs.

An incremental import of subsets of images on one card into a single catalog (but e.g., different folders) is well supported by the "New Photos" filter in the import dialog. However, when I switch catalogs while downloading images from a card -- because some subset of images on the card needs to go into a different catalog -- the "New Photos" filter no longer works. As a result, I have to remember and wade through a lot of images I already imported into a different catalog.

I realise that deleting images from the card is a sensitive issue. It must not happen prior to having verified that the image indeed has been copied (or converted) to a new location. Picasa supports this double checking.

As a safety net, Lightroom could offer a "restore deleted images" feature that would resurrect deleted files from cards. Users will find such a feature tremendously useful for other occasions as well.

I'd be happy with the following compromises as well:

* The option to delete images after import is available only if one activates a second backup location.

* Images are not deleted but the tracking of which images have already been imported is extended to work across catalogs. A record of what images still need to be imported could be associated with a currently inserted card.

Idea Declined
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 117 Replies 117
117 Comments
New Here ,
Jun 21, 2021 Jun 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@andrew_rodney You seem to have no understanding of what formatting actually does, yet you are extremely vocal on the subject. You're not helping anyone.

I doubt you will take this to heart, but I'll try anyway. Formatting is not a means to delete photos off your card. Your quoted Sony manual even mentions "for the first time". If you're arguing that deleting photos should happen in camera, then you should refer to actually deleting images through the camera controls, not formatting the file system on the card. But I will assume you consider this too cumbersome and prefer some convenience, which is why you go with redundantly formatting your card, a side effect of which is the loss of all data on the file system. You obviously like this convenience, but yet you're on this forum arguing against the requests for convenience by other users. 

You're claiming that you only want to educate people on why Adobe will not make this happen, because there could be potential file loss. Yet, there is a move operation already implemented into the import dialog. This move operation deletes files after they have been copied to a new location. There are zero checks to confirm the written files are identical to the read files. 

Stop arguing for what you perceive Adobe's stance to be on this subject. Again, you're not helping anyone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 22, 2021 Jun 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I stand by the copy and pasted text from Sony, Canon and the URL provided; you can argue with those resources. I'm simply agreeing with them; nothing more. 

As for the “Move” command, try that with a camera card on import and see how far that gets you.

FWIW; examine the date of the first request for this “feature” and how far it's been taken seriously by Adobe! Stop ignoring what you perceive Adobe's stance to be on this subject. You are not helping anyone.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@andrew_rodney  as seems like you are quite familiar with Adobe's intentions, I'd like to understand two things (which I previously asked here twice, but without any response)
- Why would it be any safer to manually delete images _after_ importing + backing them up (which Lightroom can do already), than doing it automatically? A manual delete is asking for trouble: after a partial import, where not all the files were imported, or deleting/formatting the wrong card are very real and very dangerous situations. I am working with IT systems, backups and databases, and human error is by far the most dangerous component of any backup system/pipeline. Yes, you don't delete before you make backups. But you shouldn't ever delete by hand anything, because humans are very prone to failure. Much more, than backup media.

- if Adobe is so keen on protecting us and our precious photos, then why would Lightroom _do_ delete imported pictures from a CFast card, even if the backup drive was not online and so the automatic backup during import have failed. Because it does exactly that. It does delete the pictures from the CFast card, which were asked by the user to be backed up, but were not. (the difference is: CFast cards are percieved by Lightroom as external hard drive, not a removable media and they never care or think to test it) If there is actual reason behind this feature (or the lack of it), it must truly be evil. But I still vote on ignorance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

- Why would it be any safer to manually delete images _after_ importing + backing them up (which Lightroom can do already), than doing it automatically?

That answer should be (should be...) rather obvious; it is safer FOR Adobe!

Can Adobe delete images after import? Sure they can. Will they? Well no, for some of the reasons I expressed two days ago, prior to this request being merged with a 10 year old request that still hasn't been addressed. Nor will it (again, I can be proven wrong but with 10 years in this thread behind me, and nearly 30 years working with Adobe, I'm willing to eat crow if I have to). 

Can users find automatic ways outside of Adobe to automatically delete images of a card after import? Yes. And then, if something goes wrong, it is totally THEIR fault, not Adobes. 

Adobe doesn't provide razor blades to children and then allow them to play on the highway!

The answer to your question is simple, again, it is safer for Adobe. And that is why, after 10 years of this, the request has gone nowhere. 

- if Adobe is so keen on protecting us and our precious photos, then why would Lightroom _do_ delete imported pictures from a CFast card, even if the backup drive was not online and so the automatic backup during import have failed. 

That isn't a question nor a statement that is factual so like others as you suggest, I'll ignore it. If you have a 2nd question, do form it as a question. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many of us think we are the super computer users who never make a mistake, and know that our computers are infallible. And in this fast-moving computer world we are always looking for ways to cut steps and save time. After all, it does take a few seconds and format the card in the camera following an import. And you probably could have performed a few editing steps in that much time. As long as you never make a mistake, and EVERY import goes as expected, having your images deleted following a successful import would be a time-saving step to have. But what if something happened after you came home from a wedding shoot. The import didn't go as it should have, Lightroom didn't detect it, and the images get deleted. But that will never happen. Really? Well, it did happen to me. Okay, maybe I'm not the skillful Lightroom user that you are. I have only been using Lightroom since version 2. Don't know what happened. The import simply failed. Luckily, the images were still on the card. You might want to tempt fate, but I don't.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 24, 2021 Jun 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is a very easy, and pretty safe procedure for a computer to verify the integrity of a copy/backup. An automatic process, which imports the pictures (copies them to the working drive), makes a backup copy (or even two, if you wish) and after that does an integrity check (re-reading the backups and original, comparing them), and after that, if all goes well, removes the original is much safer than manually deleting/formatting. 

Deleting anything without being sure that the backups are in place is tempting fate.

I am pretty confident that very few of the pro-manual delete arguers ever did an actual integrity check on the backed up pictures before purging the originals . Even if you open them, most viewers will use the built in previews, not the actual raw data, so your file could look all good, while being actually cripled, ending up with a jpg quality picture of your award winning raw file. 

But anyone who feels like being more precise and reliable than a computer, could keep not using this feature.

I am only using lightroom for a mere 12 years, but operating national telco and railway company service databases for 22 years, so I'd assume I know this or that on backing up data without loosing it.

But I understand those, who are confident enough to prefer formatting their wedding shot after a long day and a tiring drive home because they connected the wrong memory card. I'd just like to have the _option_ to avoid that, on my own risk.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 22, 2023 Jan 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need this option. I just switched to lightroom from Aperture in 1/2023. I have been "deleting on import" for a decade with aperture and have never a problem while importing 500,000 images. I have two memeroy cards in my cameras with idenetical info if there is a problem. I also make copies to another drive at import. This is because I use multiple libraries or catalogs. I will know what has been imported when I switch to another catalog.  I have 2 catalogs because 20tb drives are not large enough to hold my images. I need two atleast 2 catalogs. I am stunned to see Lightroom does not have this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 22, 2023 Jan 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe probably is taking a precautionary approach in that until a backup of the photos exists, deleting them from the SD card is a risk. Mind you, as such, they should not have that Move option in import, as move is hazardous. 

Now I did not read all the reply's in the above old posting, so my remarks are probably already in the thread.

P.S. would not the Move option in import accomplish most of what the author desired?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Oct 31, 2023 Oct 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand Adobe's position is to not allow moving files (as opposed to copying them) from an SD card or external drive during import due to the potential risk of loss of the original image due to failure of the move. However, this is not a difficult risk to mitigate. Lightroom could simply copy the files and then confirm parity before deleting the source files. 

The import dialog should offer the option to move files from SD cards and other external drives. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I remember correctly, many many versions past they did, and that created a nightmare of service complaints with members who's SD cards went bust. So Adobe removed that risk. Risk vs Benefit was High vs Low.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As per @GoldingD, but also if something happened during import, there was potential that the some of the files being moved could be lost. Again, risk vs reward. 

Sean McCormack. Author of 'Essential Development 3'. Magazine Writer. Former Official Fuji X-Photographer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe you both missed this in the OP, but this should not be an obstacle that is technically difficult to overcome. Copy the files to the new location > check integrity > delete the files from the source. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@WildWanderer We're just telling you, you're not the first to ask in the 17+ years of this.  

Sean McCormack. Author of 'Essential Development 3'. Magazine Writer. Former Official Fuji X-Photographer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe you both missed this in the OP, but this should not be an obstacle that is technically difficult to overcome. Copy the files to the new location > check integrity > delete the files from the source.
By @WildWanderer

Ok, then you better add a step in that process, That being to copy the photos to a second location for backup. I would never ever delete the photos on a card until I have a proper backup, preferably two backups, neither in the same drive.

And, yes, I read MOVE, not the idea to alter MOVE as to delete after the copy. Of course that is not what the word Move means in computer OS. Ok getting picky.

On the Risk/Benefit, remember, and you can see this in various members postings, that many many members/customers have no clue about backups, no clue as to extra copy's of files, no clue where their photos are, no clue as to how and what the LrC backup accomplishes. So a large set of the customer base could/would foul this up. That is, they would have one set of their photos, only one set. Oh, they may still go and format that card before making backups, but that would be their doing not Adobe's

Oh, and just to add to the argument, and this bit has lots of debate. It is usually advised to never delete photos on a card, either in camera, or in computer. That when you are in fact done with the photos on the card (copy's to computer, backup as well) that you should format the card. That is format not delete, and only format in camera. Both never delete and format in camera are debated.  I think SanDisk still states that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Telling me something that I put in the OP to begin with. I'm not seeing the value in that. It's neither here nor there. The point I'm making is that you can accomplish the "move" in a way that ensures the files are complete in the new location. 

Also, this is not directly related to backups. LR doesn't suggest you make a backup before moving files via import from one internal drive to another (nor should they). There's no need to instruct the user to make a backup when moving files from an external drive. 

This request is simple - allow the Move option when importing files, regardless of the source. There is an argument to be made for allowing the Add option, as well. Perhaps I want a subset of my files ot live on an external drive that is only occasionally attached. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Note that the previous eight comments (all dated today, Oct 31, 2023) were imported from a separate idea post, so not all of their content will fit in with this idea and its previous comments. Might be confusing to read, but the main premise of the two ideas seem very similar. Pretty disheartening to see this request out here for a dozen years, though...

Votes

Translate

Translate