• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Distinct Renaming of files from different External Editors

Community Beginner ,
Nov 27, 2022 Nov 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be very helpful to have the option to have a unique renaming option for each external editor.  For example, one could automatically rename a file with "_Ps" appended to the file name after external edits in Photoshop but have the rename automatically be "_D" for Topaz DeNoise.

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
4 Comments
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just curious as to why you think it's important to rename files after external editing.

Jill C., Forum Volunteer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I find it helpful when returning to files in LrC to instantly know what I have already done to them.  By appending the name, for example "123_Ps.tif" vs "123_Ps_D.tif", I would immediately know that the first has been edited in Photoshop, but nothing more, while the second has been editied in both Photoshop and DeNoise.  I'm an avid hobbyist, not a pro, so there could well be a better way to handle this issue!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 25, 2023 Apr 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I was hoping to get this minor issue resolved, but according to Adobe's support it's not an option. It was suggested I post my dilemma here as a improvement suggestion  

I use Lightroom Classic for a lot of photo editing, but in addition to LRc I also use photoshop along with 3 other plug-ins by Topaz Labs (deNoise, Sharpen, & Gigapixel). All these apps make it easy for transferring an edited file back to LR's library. In photoshop, when you save a file it will automatically save to your LRc's library with the same filename but with an added "edit" suffix. In any Topaz labs plug-in, when you click on the "apply" button, the app will close and send you straight back to LRc, also adding an "edit" suffix to that edited filename. And if for some reason you edit that LRc file in let's say two separate apps (ex. LRc to deNoise AI to PS), then the new file will add another "edit" suffix to the existing filename (ex. IMG_334-edit-edit). 

My suggestion is why not allow LRc to change the default filename suffix? Topaz Labs allows you to change this present, however, it only works when you export that said file directly from the app itself (ex. you choose "save as" instead of choosing "apply" setting where it sends you back to LRc). In LRc, under "additional external editor" you can view the different presets (this is where I see all my plug-ins), but why not add an option where I can change the suffix depending on the program I use? 

For example, let's say I do the following scenarios and I set the following presets for exporting filenames: 

1. Edited in LRc > further editing in deNoise AI: saves to LRc as "IMG_334-deNoise

2. Edited in LRc > further editing in Sharpen AI: saves to LRc as "IMG_334-Sharp

3. Edited in LRc > further editing in deNoise AI > final editing in Photoshop: saves to LRc as "IMG_334-PS

I think you get the idea... This is a very minor thing but it would streamline the organizing process. Sometimes I will edit in different programs to get different results, but i'm having to spent a little extra time to either manually edit the filename via metadata or save the file directly from that said app. I do prefer the quick save/apply option which closes the external program and automatically opens up the new file in LRc, but it's a little annoying when they all have that exact same "edit" suffix. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Apr 25, 2023 Apr 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That is a great suggestion- to have a Rename template specific to each external editor.

I can only see a (limited) work-around that uses the Export dialog (and an Export Preset for each App) with-

1) [Add to this Catalog] (if [Save] function available.) Or use Folder [Synchronize]

2) A Rename template specific to the external editor.

3) Post Processing- Open in Other Application > [Choose]

Rob_Cullen_1-1682453500735.png

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate