• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Duplicate detection for raw/JPEG with same name

Participant ,
Nov 30, 2022 Nov 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Occasionally I wind up with large numbers of duplicate images due to importing something multiple times over a period of months or years. Literally, importing the exact same images, but for whatever reason, import doesn't notice that they're duplicates. File name changed, date changed, I don't know. When I wind up with "-4" filenames for 5 copies of the same image, I feel like something isn't working right.

I really want to be able to find images that are certainly duplicates and that are almost certainly duplicates, and do something with them.

Certainly duplicates means the same bits in the image. Lightroom does not work this way however. I'm not sure exactly what way it works.

Almost certainly duplicates or just "very similar" means:

• Very strong likelihood JPEG/raw match (e.g. if same filename and feature-similar image, some metadata matches, etc etc)
  • Same for TIF/PSD/JPEG/raw etc etc
  • Same photo resized, reoriented
  • Same photo cropped a little
  • Same photo with watermark/steganography
  • Same photo with border

I could see how "smart collection" could be a good way to integrate this into the application. Make a collection of photos with X attributes and filter out the ones that aren't duplicate or similar.

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
3 Comments
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I'm not sure exactly what way [Lightroom] works."

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/help/photo-video-import-options.html 

"Lightroom Classic determines a photo is a duplicate of another file in the catalog if it has the same, original filename; the same Exif capture date and time; and the same file size."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is definitely not how it works, unless it's buggy. Which it could be.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

To get back to the real point, though, what's needed is a way to find duplicate *images*, not duplicate *files*.

Votes

Translate

Translate