• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Enable Zoom with Crop Tool

Community Beginner ,
Apr 04, 2012 Apr 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This may have already been suggested, but it would be nice if the zoom feature in Lightroom 4 could be enabled while using the crop tool to make refined adjustments to the crop area. At present, there is only a clumsy work-around using the secondary display for refined crop adjustments.

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 123 Replies 123
123 Comments
Advocate ,
Feb 07, 2022 Feb 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Earth Oliver 

If there is a technological challenge here like "we would need to re-code entirely LR to get zoom to work while cropping" then I would understand the situation.

If not then it's just about giving customers what they are asking for.

Obviously there are more than 88 people on the planet that need this.

To Adobe I would suggest to do the following: make a global survey.

Send all LR users a simple question : would you want to have the ability to chance zoom while cropping?

Add video/image example jsut to make it obviously clear.

I am sure thousands and thousands of users will say they want it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,
Feb 08, 2022 Feb 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@C.Cella Even if there was a tech challenge here (i'm positive that's not the case), it's an essential feature that should be implemented regardless of hurdles.What kills me about the current behavior is that the more you crop in, the more Lr zooms out! Why would i ever need to see the outside edges of the image i'm cropping? This just goes to show that whoever designed the thing had never cropped an image before. It's totally ridiculous.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Mar 03, 2022 Mar 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Amazed to see this is still an ongoing request! I may have even commented here several years ago 😄 I also need to make fine crops on paintings and artwork, Currently when cropping, I just cannot see if I am including areas outside the painting frame, or removing part of the frame from the image. If it is an extreme panorama painting, just forget about it. It can't be hard to implemet surely, even a floating 'loupe' ove the crop corner when dragging would be fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I actully just remembered, there is already the exact feature we need in place, on the Transform tool: when you are choosing your tranform points, you have a floating 100% modal window next to the cursor to assist you in placing the points accurately. Just switch that on for the crop tool as well. Simples.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@solutionboy Yes, it's totally mind-boggling that this feature is absent. At this point, i think they're just ashamed to admit that they were wrong to not implement it way back in v1, and that's why they've neglected to include it since then. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@solutionboy 

The same magnifier tool that is in transform would be great. Adobe hass definately been ignoring this feature request for a LONG time.  My bigger issue is ignoring long standing bugs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Mar 09, 2022 Mar 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Lightroom Classic, Develop module. When trying to straighten an image under the Angle adjustment in the Crop & Straighten, you get lame targets that are difficult to get precise locations.

Using the Transform panel Guided brings up a simple cross hair with a zoom box that hovers nearby.

I would like to see the same cross hair & floating zoom box be used in the Angle adjustment under Crop & Straighten.
It's reusing the same code that already exists and making the product have a consistent look and feel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 09, 2022 Mar 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agree 100%. This has been asked for several times but unfortunately Adobe doesn't seem interested in improving the crop/straighten tools.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 10, 2022 Mar 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moderators, @Rikk Flohr: Photography, please merge with this existing idea:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-ideas/p-enable-zoom-with-crop-tool/idi-p/12249267 

That thread discusses the same issue, making fine crop and straighten adjustments.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Mar 29, 2022 Mar 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe, are you slepping ten years or what?????

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Apr 13, 2022 Apr 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree. I work with 400MP files and need greater precision when cropping. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,
Apr 14, 2022 Apr 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, not being able to zoom in while cropping large images is about as bad as it gets. And the larger your image is, the further Lr zooms out! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Apr 14, 2022 Apr 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree Earth Oliver. The current tool was just fine with 20mp camera files but is becomeing more and more inadequate as camera resolutions increase. Cropping 400MP camera files on a laptop display is a joke...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
May 17, 2022 May 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A regular task I encounter is editing reproductions of artwork, such as paintings so that artists can display them in portfolios, make prints, etc... Often I am cropping in to the edge of a canvas and like to preserve as much of the painting in the frame as possible without a sloppy edge that reveals the background. I can zoom in and see within a pixel or two in the photoshop crop tool, but I do the brunt of my adjustments to straighten these pieces of artwork and adjust their color and exposure in Lightroom Classic, so it would save me some hassle if I was able to more acurately crop right from LRC. This is something that has nagged at me for quite some time and which I would like to see added. Simiar execution to how the little loupe box appears when placing guides in guided transform would be excellent.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
May 18, 2022 May 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@.jake. This is the exact same situation I am in - cropping/rotating high resolution paintings. Hopefully Adobe will eventually pick up on this thread & see that the solution already exists in the guided transform tool, as you mention.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 10, 2022 Oct 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[This post contains formatting and embedded images that don't appear in email. View the post in your Web browser.]

I just released the next version of the Any Crop plugin, which includes the new Adjust Crop command for making fine adjustments to crops while zoomed in Develop.  It's not as convenient as having it built-in, but it should get the job done for most uses.  See it in action:

Thanks to @C.Cella for urging me to think about the issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow JOhn the AnyCrop plugin looks really exciting! I just downloaded it and get a "An internal error has occured" message when I try to use it. I'm on an M1max Mac using the latest OS (12.6) and Lightroom Classic(11.5). Would love to hear a way to get this to work!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I just downloaded it and get a "An internal error has occured" message when I try to use it. "

Please contact me at the support email address, and include details of what you were doing (a screenshot or two could be very helpful).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having a blast with this new addition to Any Crop.

Adjust Crop finally gives us the ability to crop precisely in LR, it's a true evolution.

This is a vital tool for all LR users.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reinstalled and got it to work. This is amazing. Finally, preciese cropping in Lightroom! Thank you for this!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 09, 2022 Dec 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Adobe,

It would be so useful to be able to straighten horizons when zoomed in to an image. Currently, it is only possible when in crop mode with the full photo visible but when using a smaller laptop or when only a small amount of horizon is visible, and especially when pictures are in portrait it can be difficult to get the horizon nailed with the straighten tool.

If it were possible to zoom in to the horizon in an image and straighten from there, it would make things SO much easier!

Thanks!

Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 10, 2022 Dec 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[This post contains formatting and embedded images that don't appear in email. View the post in your Web browser.]

Being able to use the Crop tool while zoomed is a very old feature request that many have asked for. Meanwhile, you could use the Any Crop plugin's Adjust Crop command to adjust crops and angles while zoomed in. See this screen recording:

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 10, 2022 Dec 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Mar 14, 2023 Mar 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Amazing that this feature was first asked for over ten years ago and nothing has been done to implement it.

Both DXO Photo Lab and Capture One have this feature working intuitively and well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Advocate ,
Mar 14, 2023 Mar 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@PaulHolman No need to look far at other softwares...LrMobile has crop while zooming. 

I recommend you to use Any Crop by @johnrellis 

In the last months I have basically never used Post Crop in LrC as it is obsolete. 

I

Votes

Translate

Translate