• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Find the sharpest photo based on the eyes

LEGEND ,
Jun 22, 2011 Jun 22, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If 5 images were taken in succession, and are extremely similar - it is a pain to choose. If you could select say the eye and tell lightroom to find the image which has the sharpest eye - that would be cool.

This could be paired with duplicate image functionality, or face detection somehow

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
8 Comments
LEGEND ,
Jun 23, 2011 Jun 23, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another good pairing, or possible alternative: Sharpness Topography / Focus-mask

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Jul 16, 2011 Jul 16, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been asking for this for a while. Programmatically, they'd only have to ask for the user to select a range of images, select an area that the user cares about sharpness (eyes) and then LR would set targets on the remaining images looking for eyes within the nearby region maybe using a simple least-means-square method. Then, a simple FFT is applied to a bound box around the target and the images ranked by frequency (higher frequency = sharper, higher-contrast edges = PICK).
[ ◉"]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Feb 17, 2012 Feb 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I like this idea and would use it frequently. If Adobe deems it too far down on the priority list to implement. how about a trivial addition.

Add File Size as a Library View Option.

In my experience, files that are out of focus, or slightly blurred are smaller that crisper ones of the same scene. I suspect this is a byproduct of compression - sharp photos have more detail to preserve. If I had the choice of displaying File Size in the "Info x" templates, I would be able to quickly glance at the sizes and pick the best 2 out of 5 to visually inspect.

Being able to select an area to compare sharpness for a particular area would clearly be superior, but I suspect 'file size' would be good enough for most cases.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Mar 29, 2012 Mar 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I like the idea of looking at file size to gauge amount of detail/focus. Of course that is a global thing to the file. So for example if you are shooting a portrait or a wildlife image, where the face has to be in focus, if you accidentally focus on the background (and that takes up a larger percentage of the image than the face) you'll end up with a larger file size than the one you actually want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 16, 2021 Jan 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey guys, just want to say, sometimes its takes up allot of time to check photos that are created with burst modes, allot of sames photos. it would be a cool feature if there is a button after a selection of photos that uses some sort of algoritm which photo of those selection photos are the sharpest on the face. so you have in a quick way the perfect shot to edit 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jan 19, 2021 Jan 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This thread is being merged into an existing authoritative thread for better tracking and response. 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Nov 25, 2023 Nov 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

When I'm culling photos, I'm spending a LOT of time just cycling through all the images trying to find out which images have my subject in focus.  In the case of portraits, I specifically want to make sure that my subject's eye is in sharp focus.

It would be nice to have an overlay that we can toggle on and off that will show the various degrees of sharpness on the image so we can more easily tell, at a glance, which photos have the areas we want in focus, and which we can immediately toss in the rubbish bin because we would never use them.

As far as the logic under the hood, I would envision that the color overlay would be based on radius of contrast between neighboring pixels.  For example, the radius of falloff between one area and the next of 0-1 might be yellow, 1-5 might be orange, 5 - 10 might be red, and so on.

Because color overlays aren't always the best way to visualize things (i.e. some people are color blind, or the image has a lot of those tones in it already) it would be nice to have the option to turn the image black and white and only show the areas of the image that are in sharp focus, with areas in softer focus showing up with partial opacity.  Another alternate view could be like a High Pass Filter at a 50% grey with only the edge contrast showing up.

If the calculations for these overlays would take a lot of time to compute on the fly, I could see their generation being something that we trigger on a folder, similar to building the 1-1 previews.  Generate the overlays for an entire shoot, cull our images, then discard manually through the menu or have the generated overlays automatically delete after a certain number of days (similar to how we can do with the 1-1 previews).

Of course, the pixel radius would likely need to be adjusted based on image dimension because the perceived sharpness of a 102MP file would be significantly different than a 20-something MP file if using the same number of pixels for the radius (I feel like Lightroom and Photoshop features, in general, don't work as well for my 102MP files because of this very thing, so please keep this in mind!)

Something like this would GREATLY help me cull my images faster so I can immediately remove any shots from a shoot that don't have sharp focus where I want it.  I'm attaching a few examples of the kinds of views I'm thinking of for this.

Thank you for your consideration!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 25, 2023 Nov 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Moderators, @Rikk Flohr: Photography, please merge with this Idea, where others are asking for mechanisms to determine which parts of the photo are in focus:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-ideas/p-find-the-sharpest-photo-based-on-the-eyes/i...

Votes

Translate

Translate