• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Floating panels/toolbars

LEGEND ,
May 11, 2011 May 11, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I love Lightroom. I use it every single day as I am a professional photographer. However, I can't understand for the life of me why Adobe has chosen to have no ability to float Lightrooms toolbars as is possible with the other Adobe products. I have two monitors and would love to actually make the best possible use of them. Adobe, please add this feature as I'm sure it will be welcomed by all users.

Thanks, Freddy

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
66 Comments
LEGEND ,
Apr 08, 2013 Apr 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just make tools a second display option, the current 2nd display options have very little use and moving the presets and sliders over to the second display would mean not having to dart left and right across the screen

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 08, 2013 Sep 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, I just want the choice to have the left-side panels disappear altogether and have all of the panels tabbed on the right-side because moving the mouse to the far left side of the monitor to scroll or choose the various options & panels, to navigate or do anything else decreases my efficiency by forcing me to move the cursor to the far left. Personally is very annoying to me and I'm not sure that I want to give up my old Bridge CS3 program due to this. There are very few programs that causes the user to scroll on the left-side and I'm not sure why Adobe has chosen to go against the norm. The tabs that are in Bridge which allow for quick changes to various panels and choice to have all scrolling be done on the right side is great. If I were a left-handed person, perhaps I would want everything on the left-side so, maybe there is reason to choose between the three types of formats - not infinite, not floating - just 3 different workspace options for the panels original, left-side, & right-side. I suspect these three options will cover just about everyone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 14, 2013 Nov 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why is everyone going for the polarised extremes here - just because the programme has floating panels you don't have to use them - its a choice thing. I don't really use them in PS CS6, but I don't think they should be taken away. I would like them in LR simply because the left hand panel is quite congested at times. I have asked for nested levels of presets - this would support that model in that you could see ALL your presets not keep scrolling through endless meaningless descriptions

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jan 22, 2014 Jan 22, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like so....

Can this happen in upgrade? If not, why?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 22, 2014 Jan 22, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I managed to hit the wrong topic while merging -- very sorry about that. Please reference the new topic here: Tools in Photoshop CC should be detachable like in Illustrator CC...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Sep 22, 2015 Sep 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd love to see an option to have the primary display show either an image in full screen, or a set of thumbnails in Grid view, while the secondary display has all of the develop palettes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 30, 2016 Apr 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i''m with the cause.. i would like to have the floating panels to use on my second monitor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 06, 2016 May 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would also love the ability to have floating panels. I've never felt that Lightroom takes very good advantage of the two-monitor workflow. My other wish is to be able to have two Grid panels open so that manual sorting is wasier.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
May 06, 2016 May 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With more and more tools and sliders in LR, the need for floating panels gets bigger and bigger. LR`s UI was okay for version 1 or 2.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 27, 2016 May 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I apologize if this has been suggested already. I did a quick search and didn't find any similar suggestions...

I have two 24" monitors attached to a computer with an intel i7 quad core processor (albeit an older 950 model quad core) and I still find performance sluggish in the develop module. I have read that using a second monitor, and especially a LARGE second monitor can exacerbate performance issues.

My eyesight isn't what it used to be and I prefer to do my editing with my image 1:1 in loupe mode in the second monitor. Since this seems to be detrimental to performance, I was wondering if Adobe had ever considered creating detachable panels so that I could still have my image full screen in one monitor and use the other monitor just for my edit panels? (I believe you can already do this in photoshop?) Would this approach help address performance issues for those who prefer to edit with a full screen image window?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 02, 2017 Jun 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be great if it were possible to undock the develop panels, just like in photoshop, so we can make better use of our screen area. right now when using many of the develop options you have to keep scrolling endlesly up and down to find the correct sliders. especially on using ultrawidescreen monitors, i have a very big unused area...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Sep 07, 2017 Sep 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In most Adobe applications, you have the possibility to undock specific windows. See for example this in Premiere Pro:

This window can then be positioned anywhere one wants, including an another screen.

I often use more than one screen, but unfortunately Lightroom doesn't really support any useful multiscreen features.

Instead of being able to undock all the different editing tools in develop mode, I spend most of my editing time in Lightroom endlessly scrolling. (I checked and its about 50% of my editing time!!)

Please Adobe, enable this feature! It would be great to have one screen for the full screen image and clutter all the other screens with the editing tools.

Isn't it ironic that using Lightroom, as a photographer, one hardly looks at one's photos in full screen?...

Thank you for any consideration!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Sep 07, 2017 Sep 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is reassuring that this feature was already requested 6 years ago... and still no progress? Any chance that it might be considered soon?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jul 20, 2018 Jul 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to see Lightroom support a modular window design similar to Premiere. For example, I'd like to be able to drag the folders section to a second screen, and then also resize it. And maybe do the same for the metadata section of the Library tab and move it to a different screen and size it. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 27, 2019 Mar 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a start, but could we have the panels in detachable windows so we can move them off to a second monitor?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jan 12, 2020 Jan 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to see my folders and collections at the same time. I want to have multiple windows open like I can in Bridge. Or at least let me pull the panels out, rearrange them and have them float. Just make the interface like Bridge... I hate scrolling forever in the folders panel, and then I can't see my collections. Going back and forth is very time consuming. LR is streamlined to edit, not to organize. I use it primarily to organize and it's faster for me to organize in Bridge and then Synchronize my folders in LR classic. This request has been around for years. LR (not classic) is way faster for editing, please optimize LR classic for organizing.
Melissa Piccone | Adobe Trainer | Online Courses Author | Fine Artist

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 02, 2020 Mar 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Imagine if Adobe put energy into making what the users wanted, instead of stuff like Muse...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 08, 2020 Mar 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it would be nice if you could separate the panels. the most precise example I can make is for example the history panel, from the presets panel. it is not possible that I have to scroll through all my 350 presets in order to see the story of a photo

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 09, 2020 Mar 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Simple answer is you don't. You can Close, Collapse, the Preset panel.  Or you could turn it off, Hide it. You can also Collapse your presets into the top level categories so they don't take up so much room. 
You can put that panel into solo mode where only one section is open at a time. Click on the Header of another section closes the one you were in and opens the other.

Would it be nice to UnDock them. I guess it would.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 09, 2020 Mar 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bridge is a pile of crap too. I HATE the master window paradigm, its a Windows thing. Meanwhile, Lightroom's UI is vastly inferior to Aperture. Adobe should drop a couple million on Apple to crib from the Aperture way of operating.

Modes suck, disappearing tools and command suck, differing window behavior sucks, full screen mode is crippled, Lightroom is just really, really awful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 05, 2020 Apr 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the panel "navigator remain always at the top, i'd love just a thing like that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Feb 13, 2021 Feb 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been a Lightroom user since v1.0 and Photoshop user some time before that. In Photoshop there's a lot of flexibility of how you set up your computer screens. I can group, for example the tools and put them on one of my screens and have the main image I'm working on on another screen.

In Lightroom my two screens are much more limited. So I tend to have grid view on my secondary monitor to allow me to choose images and on my primary monitor I have the develop view.

But that's only part of the issue.

Every year I take images that I've done during the year and archive them. I drag one folder down, and down, and down, and wait until I get to my external drive. Then I can let go and the images get moved.

If I were to do this in Windows Explorer I'd simply open two Explorer windows side by side, one for the source and one for the target and drag folders over. I can't achieve anything that simple in Lightroom.

The result is that I put off archiving as it is a right pain to do.

I'm currently in the middle of a re-organisation of my drive structure, re-categorising images and where I physically want them stored and it is painful.

For so many reasons it would be prefereable not to have the panels visible/hidden in their strict positions but to be able to move them around. I migth like my keywording and metadata above my folders in a panel on one screen and my histogram and navigator in another panel.

Arbitrarily being assigned positions of the panels makes little sense when Photoshop has the flexibility to put the items wherever one wants them.

So my suggstion is that Lightroom allows one to put panels where one wants them (on the second, third or even fourth screen!) and that it also allows multiple instances of items such as folders to allow for easier re-organisation when that is called for.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Feb 20, 2021 Feb 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, my request for floating panels gets merged with another master post about it where many many people have asked for this over ten years. Ten years. And still nothing. I doubt it will ever happen then which is a huge shame.

I find the present structure infuriatingly limiting. It feels like we are using a program from the 90s not 2021.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Feb 22, 2021 Feb 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There has been some acknowledgment of the desire to rearrange panels in the Develop panel order adjustment that was added a while back. Real tear off panels clearly won't be possible with the current architecture, but that doesn't mean it won't ever happen... just that it's not a small undertaking and there are other priorities (like performance!) at the moment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Feb 23, 2021 Feb 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Victoria, thanks for the response. I'd read this thread through and couldn't see any acknowledgement of the desire so it's good to know from one that knows these things that it is the case. I agree performance improvements are needed (they always seem to be needed on Lightroom).

Votes

Translate

Translate