• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Include additional metadata in XMP (flags, collections, VC's, etc.)

New Here ,
May 22, 2011 May 22, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

when letting Lightroom write all the picture settings to a xmp file, both the stacking and the collection settings are missing.

Basically, I'd expect to find just every work done about the picture in the xmp file (e.g. for use with other tools. If I put several pictures in collection, I'd like to use that information and the order of the pictures from other programs.)

Even worse, when making a virtual copy of a picture, it's settings do not appear anywhere in an xmp file.

regards

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 118 Replies 118
118 Comments
Community Beginner ,
Jul 01, 2016 Jul 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Until Adobe gets it working for all smart objects regardless of content, my recommended workflow would be:
- Open up the file you want to use as a smart object
- Save As PSD/PSB
- Drag file onto main comp / use File > Place on main comp
- Keep your main comp at 1x resolution and use Export As for scaled output

By contrast, if you wrap an existing smart object within another smart object just to change its file type, you’re wasting more disk space than necessary. Nesting smart objects only makes sense if you’re planning on using their respective layers stack to transform multiple layers as a group, or apply smart filters to them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Sep 17, 2018 Sep 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Bridge saves Rejected as XMP:Rating=-1
I wonder why Lightroom can't do the same?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
May 25, 2019 May 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is an annoying bug in Lightroom. Flags (flagged, rejected) aren't saved to the XMP file. I worked months (countless hours) to flag the images, then I saved the metadata and removed the cr2's form catalog for backup. I sadly discovered that all flags has gone!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jun 14, 2019 Jun 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did a simple test to see if the changes I made in LR3 would port over to LR6. Everything ported over except the flags. That's pretty huge if you are traveling away from home/office and you set flags for photos to review and reject and then synchronize the folder in LR6 and no flags port over in the sync.  This is a huge feature in LR and should work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I did a simple test to see if the changes I made in LR3 would port over to LR6."

LR 6 will read and convert a LR 3 catalog, and in doing so will read all the flags. Does that not work for you?

"That's pretty huge if you are traveling away from home/office and you set flags for photos to review and reject and then synchronize the folder in LR6 and no flags port over in the sync."

LR provides other mechanisms that let you work on a laptop while travelling and then efficiently transfer that work to your main computer. In particular, you can use File > Export As Catalog and Import From Another Catalog.  See this Lightroom Queen article for details: 
https://www.lightroomqueen.com/how-to-lightroom-catalog-multiple-computers/

I'm not arguing against this feature request (I voted for it a long time ago) but rather pointing out that there are existing LR features that can accomplish what you want

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I presently have LR 3 & LR 6 installed on my computer and wanted to test what exactly is saved in XMP files. Every change I made in LR 3 ported over (color label, star rating, keywords, Develop enhancements) except the Flagging.

LR 3 w/Flags
RackMultipart2019061444671nko2-80423bcf-7bcb-46c2-b911-3d621c3d9ee0-2047250342.png

LR 6 no Flags
RackMultipart2019061429748yl03-d2106996-56b7-4631-8fb2-f553dd73d1f8-1624029069.png

How can I get the flags to sync?

I plan to purchase a laptop to take with me when I travel to shoot and want to be able to sync/import everything including flags. My likely scenario would be new photos on the laptop that are then moved to my PC. However, if I flag photos on my laptop, I want to be sure that that information ports over to my PC.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Flags aren't stored in XMP, but you are doing this the wrong way. If you want to work on a desktop and a laptop, then don't try to sync these via XMP, but use 'Export as catalog' and 'Import From Another Catalog'. That will sync everything.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jun 15, 2019 Jun 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I upgraded from LR3 to LR6 things went haywire and long story short I had to recreate all of my catalogs in LR6 and manually transfer over changes I made in LR3. I've never used the export catalog feature before so I need to learn about it and test it. 

Thanks for the suggestions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 10, 2019 Jul 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do have a broader question: what is the purpose of an XMP file? 
Also, until Adobe doesn't save flags into the XMP, I've been using the "reg" colour label and/or (1 *) as my "rejection" flag when I need that information recorded in my XMPs for use in Bridge.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's essentially for cross-app compatibility, not just within Adobe but across a multitude of programs. https://www.adobe.com/products/xmp.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The main purpose is to transfer raw develop settings and other metadata between different applications. Many applications can read metadata like keywords, only Adobe applications can fully read the develop settings written by other Adobe apps.
-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jul 11, 2019 Jul 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the problem: flags aren't stored in XMP. Regardless of one what would do with the files/catalog/etc., flags should be stored in the XMP.
Another way of losing your work is to backup the .cr2 files with .xmp files, sadly, when importing back the .cr2 files in another catalog (that is created for the backup drive), the flags are gone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not, that's the wrong way. Export as catalog is cumbersome, heavy and inappropriate. Not saving the flags in the .xmp is a bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could also use keywords. Flagged and reject. Lots of software reads keywords and you can search and filter for them. Keywords are written to most graphic file formats, not just XMP sidecars.

Bottom line, since you know this desired feature doesn't exist, it might be best to adjust your workflow to fit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, this is what I'm doing before removing photos from catalog for backup purposes. Keywords like _flag_, _reject_ do the job.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Apr 27, 2020 Apr 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Four years later and still no fix!
In CC2020, 21.1.2 generator still goes blurry (or again) at 200% with smart objects, even when a psd is inside. Here is my proofRackMultipart2020042751371hah4-466c3528-deed-4da8-9c28-3877c33e7e67-107316994.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

in your example, the image has been scaled down significantly, so it looks as expected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Photoshop should take the smart object as a basis, which is 4000px x ?
I just opened the extension Generator Configurator and switched my settings back to the origin. Which solved the problem for smart objects as .psd
After so many years these Generator-Settings should get in the app plus .webp for windows.
I needed these settings to embed .iccRackMultipart20200427103080lui-b67a16c1-14e4-4108-8331-fc7cffb97884-1381101543.png

Votes

Translate

Translate