Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Keyboard Shortcuts for Basic Tone and Color Adjustments

Jun 14, 2011 Jun 14, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please add keyboard shortcuts for basic tone and color adjustments, either for Develop module sliders or Library module click buttons. Photographers who do any volume of work in Lightroom know that mousing around is a pain. Unfortunately, 3rd party keyboard add-ons suck or are very expensive. Keyboard shortcuts for basic tone and color adjustments would offer much greater efficiency.

By "basic tone and color adjustments", I mean:
temperature
tint
exposure
highlight recovery
fill light
black clipping
brightness
contrast
saturation
vibrance

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
48 Comments
LEGEND ,
Nov 23, 2011 Nov 23, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bring it on! LONG overdue! Photoshop has it, Capture One has it ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 10, 2012 Jan 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Write a comment...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, the typical keyboard has at least 47 keys that can be assigned to shortcuts, and as many as 80 or more. Assuming three modifier keys (Ctrl/Alt/Shift on Windows or Command/Option/Shift on OS X), that gives us 8 possible modifier combinations. Even after removing system-reserved combinations, we still have at least 350 combinations available to us, and as many as 600 combinations for those with full keyboards.

Ergonomically, tapping a single key (since I can remap any key combo to my USB keypad) will be many times more efficient than using the period and comma keys to shift control focus, never mind grabbing the mouse, aiming the pointer at a tiny on-screen control (thus taking my eyes off the image), then clicking or pressing keys.

Adobe: You already know how to do this. Just give us a Photoshop-like keyboard shortcut preference pane in Lightroom, and we'll take it from there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You've never used a proper keypad setup. It is physically impossible to be faster at making fine, precise adjustments using a mouse pointer to select a control than simply tapping a single key. This is easily proven: type with your mouse with an on-screen keyboard. Compare your mouse-typing speed with typing one-handed (so we're doing a fair comparison) on a real keyboard.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would just like to say that "Knobroom" is the best software name ever. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 12, 2012 Jan 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DESPERATELY WANT THIS!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jan 12, 2012 Jan 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The keyboard shortcuts is a huge time saver in Lightroom, so besides doing your own (that fits your style better), it'd be awesome to also be able to assign keyboard short cuts to Develop sliders as well as for popular presets.

Please pretty please, like my idea! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 14, 2012 Jan 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What he said! Hope you're listening Adobe......

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 14, 2012 Jan 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So Jared, Everyone here using LR shoots only weddings? Always?? You speak for all of us????

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Feb 06, 2012 Feb 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be great to have keyboard shortcuts for common Develop mode adjustments such as exposure, contrast, white balance, etc.

Currently I hover the cursor over the controls and use up and down arrows to make fine adjustments, but it would be much faster if I could make adjustments useing only keyboard shortcuts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Feb 06, 2012 Feb 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's nice to see I'm not the only one looking for keyboard shortcuts for basic adjustments. It would really speed up my workflow when going through thousands of images. I would love to see this make it into the next version of Lightroom.
The idea of having customizable shortcuts is good as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 01, 2012 Dec 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Frankly, I find the period, comma and plus/minus keyboard shortcuts for the basic panel in the very useful and useable. I just want the same functionality for the rest of the Develop module panels - including the gradient and brush panels.

I would vote multiple times for the ability to set my own shortcut keys.

We should all vote for more Lightroom engineers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Dec 26, 2013 Dec 26, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't agree more with Victoria:

We need PS like possibility for own mapping. ESPECIALLY for mapping of any kind of own custom presets.

Please note that MANY of us use WACOM tablets or similiar. With PS any tablet works like a charm. There is quite some space for improvement yet.

When to expect it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Jan 15, 2014 Jan 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No. I don't shoot weedings. And yet I have many projects that are paid per number of photos delivered. Additionally I use WACOM Tablet. I need those shortcut keys (and tons of additional actions) to be mappable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Jan 15, 2014 Jan 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thank you so much for the LR Paddy tip. The only possible work-around for us WACOM users. And yet this is a work-around and NOT a solution. Adobe, you are on the move.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Nov 28, 2014 Nov 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2015 is here. No user-defined keyboard shortcuts? No direct shortcuts to Develop sliders? Keypads (like G13) are affordable and can cut editing time in 1/2 for those that hacked together several layers of software. LR should do this all natively.

What's going on Adobe?
[ ◉"]

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 31, 2015 Jul 31, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I desperately need a left hand image advance for my left hand. I cross my left arm over to the arrow keys and that is causing shoulder problems.

I just want "A" to be back and "F" to be forward. No Alt, Ctrl, etc.

Help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Oct 10, 2015 Oct 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Option to edit images with keyboard shortcut. I'm not talking of autotone or auto white balance but more specifically like exposure adjustments, contrast, blacks, shadows, temp etc etc. i.e. keyboard shortcuts for increases and decreases of the edits. I personally would like to see a keyboard shortcut for + or - for each of the basic panel, for saturation sliders (red orange yellow green etc etc) and more. VSCO keys used to do this but is now discontinued. Would be a good time for Lightroom to step up and have it's own keyboard shortcuts, eliminating the need for any 3rd party plugins.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 14, 2017 Jun 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Add hotkeys for exposure tools, lights, shadows, and others. So that it was fashionable to work without a mouse only on the keyboard.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 17, 2017 Dec 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you add keyboard shortcut key for all development sliders. I thinking that it would be easier way to handle development sliders if I could press some keyboard shortcut to select slider and then I could use a mouse wheel to adjust it. On this way development could be done without look the sliders.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd vote for that. 

In the meantime, there's a number of options out there that might help, depending on your operating system. Personally I like a wacom tablet / contour shuttle pro combination, where I float over the float with one hand (does require a quick glance) and then turn the dial on the shuttle to change the slider value while looking at the photo. 

Keyboard wise, motibodo and pfixer both have software that adjusts Lightroom sliders direct from the keyboard. There's also other midi controller varieties like Loupedeck and LRControl that might be worth a look for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ThanksVictoria,

I have reada lot of Loupedeck and midi-devices but never used them. I tried to keep mydesk so simple I can. I think that addition devices could be make my workflow morecomplicated. Keyboard and mouse is needed at any way. I have game keyboard with18 extra buttons for LR and game mouse with 8 extra buttons for LR. These extrabuttons help me much with LR.

Few wordsmore about this slider selection and mouse wheel. It should not be impossible becauseactually LR has now similar zoom function. If you press ctrl you can zoom photo with mouse wheel. I dreaming that I can press some key andthen adjust exposure slider with mouse wheel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Apr 07, 2018 Apr 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
After all this time finally I came to use gaming devices. Still have the WACOM, but don't use it in LR.

]Both keyboard and mouse in order to NOT lift my hands off. And for me that is the fastest way... Shortcut key manager: I don't feel being developed anytime soon, but at least more functions gotten out to keyboards could be a little compensation as well. :-(((

Votes

Translate

Translate