• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Lightroom: Ability to delete the default develop presets

LEGEND ,
Dec 21, 2011 Dec 21, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[You can now hide the built-in presets in LR 7.3 using a free plugin or manually with a multi-step recipe.  --John Ellis]

It is now possible, though tedious, to delete the built-in presets in LR 7.3 and later. See this recipe: https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/delete_default_develop_presets?topic-reply-li... --John Ellis]

I really would like to be able to delete the develop presets that ships with LR3. I don't use them as they are in the way of my own presets when using the Library Module.

Idea Released
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 19, 2018 Jun 19, 2018
The ability to delete the default develop presets has been modified to allow you to hide them instead as of Version 7.4, We are closing this as implemented. We hope it helps keep your workspace tighter!

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 111 Replies 111
111 Comments
Community Expert ,
Feb 20, 2016 Feb 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My solution-
Create new presets in a FOLDER that begins with 'A' or a Number '01' (The folders of develop presets sort alpha/numerically-before Lightroom) Then your presets in that folder will always be at the top of the preset panel. Move (drag & drop) others from "User Presets"
Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Mar 11, 2016 Mar 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please let us hide this crap

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 25, 2016 May 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

they take up seven spots that I need for my own presets

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Jun 02, 2016 Jun 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It works in LR CC, but the stupid Presets folders stay in the list 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ONe of the many nonsenses in Adobe LR. 😞

stop hard coding lr development presets very good title, indeed! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.

Yet another non-sense: "We do not recommend/support deleting the default presets." 

Why? LR back in the days was young and presets were a good way of promoting its merits. Now at least half of the user base is advanced users and yet not being able to delete it within?

"users have found ways to do it" - I am a savvy superuser (weird way to call it, if you ask me). I couldn't find an efficient way to delete those eve after I deleted them from the Develop.lrmodule.

And I don't support into hacking the products I buy. Why not installing a simple button for removing and another for restoring them. That doesn't seem to be a core feature. 😄

Consider not only supporting, but even inventing a feature about it. This no more LR 1.0

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 25, 2016 Nov 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom has so many things that need updating to make it useful, and removing these useless presets from the list is nessesary to make it not feel out of date, yet also all of these:

* Custom crop need to be in cms and named (right now it converts to inchces!)
* Develop presets need to be able to see in the main window (guess in the old days it was too slow) 
* HDR or panorama creation should be done in the backgorund (it completely blocks the interface!!)
* Face recognition should use the users suggestions and use tags and learn and be able to select many intelligently and not show bricks and grass etc as faces - (look at Google Picasa)
* Map module use a name in the file or folder to place it
* Web module use the social media instead of the outdated html, be able to use Zenfolio, Smugmug, Google etc transparently (right now they rely on third party modules which is a mess)
* Print module need a fast easy way to select paper and print full (instead of having to drag edges etc, just be able to select A3 would be the absolute most logical thing)
* Full screen mode should be able to show information, so it can be used for flaggin, starring without blindly trying to remember what was there
* Need a basic search for name in the entire library without having to find the root folder, invoke search, select text search - also be able to find folder names (why is Picasa much better?)
* A possible fast view without having to wait, simply showing the jpgs to be able to flag and star without being stopped or slowed down, waiting for develop

...and many more...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 25, 2016 Nov 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want your feedback to influence Adobe, it's best to post one idea per topic. That will allow others to contribute and make it more likely Adobe product developers might notice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Dec 05, 2016 Dec 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How has this NOT been resolved yet??? This post started 5 YEARS ago, and advanced users want to be able to delete these presets because they take up much needed room on the left menu bar. We want the space and the speed back! With all the LR presets available on the market only rookies use these built in presets. Once you learn how to install any presets you never go back to the originals. Once you're past that you literally never ever use these and they are useless and taking up space. Users (especially professional photographers) want to be able to delete these defaults right from the develop presets folder. There is no reason why these default develop presets shouldn't be listed there and able to be removed. This needs to be addressed! It's about time! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 23, 2017 Feb 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Joining the voices of those who've been asking since 2010 for the ability to remove the hard coded presets, and the folders they're categorized into, from the preset panel. I understand the logic of them being in the program - even difficult to delete - for the novice editor learning how to use the workflow, and protecting them so that they can't accidentally be deleted. The usefulness of this device wears out (in my case) in about 4 months (and I'm not a fast learner). Your professional customers are dying wading through a panel that's half filled with useless, storage consuming, interface marring presets, that even when collapsed take up 7 spaces in the middle of the alphabetically sorted panel. I've had people tell me they jumped ship to other editing programs for this very reason. This should not be a difficult thing to accomplish, and it is clearly something your consumers want.

While I'm in the demanding mood - SUBFOLDERS. Let us create them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Feb 24, 2017 Feb 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I second that! I could live without sub folders but I so want to delete ALL Lightroom default presets!!!! I haven't used any of those for 3 years and it slows down LR significantly and clutters up my work space to have them take up so much room in the left hand side panel!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 12, 2017 Apr 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wish that Adobe would follow the users request. I never use the default develop presets as I have my own and it would be much easier to organise without all the default presets there. There should be the option to remove as for the own ones  as every user should have the choice if he needs them or not! Please listen to all your customers who said the same thing over the past years!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 13, 2017 Aug 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i want to delete it it slows down the software period !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Aug 13, 2017 Aug 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Raymond, what makes you think that it slows down the software?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 18, 2017 Sep 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeffrey, could you explain Adobe's rationale for not allowing users to delete the default presets? Even if we weren't allowed to delete them, having the ability to move them to a junk folder, or even create subfolders, would go a long way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Sep 19, 2017 Sep 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please Adobe, wake up on that. No one is needing these crappy presets after they've spent more than a month with LR. It cost nothing to you to let us being able to remove (even hide) them, this is using space on our busy screens...
Are you listening to your customers? It's not because you have the monopoly on that type of software that you can ignore us.
And honestly, it takes a couple of hours for a senior developer to do this...
Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's very easy to delete Lightroom's default presets.
  • Open Lightroom preferences (see illustration 1) Under Lightroom menu (Mac) or Edit menu (PC)
  • Select the Presets tab along the top row. (see illustration 2)
  • From there, click the "Show Lightroom Presets Folder" button at right. That opens the Presets folder within your drive's Library.
  • Open only the DEVELOP Presets folder to reveal the default Lightroom Presets folder. Leave the User Presets folder alone.  (see illustration 3)

• Now QUIT LIGHTROOM.
  • Once your LR app has quit, you can safely delete the Lightroom Develop presets folder, or specific presets within it. Be sure to leave the User Presets folder there.
  • REMEMBER, only re-installing Lightroom can bring back default presets, so its wise to back them up first.
  • Once you have deleted any presets, close that window and you can re-launch Lightroom. The deleted Develop presets should be gone.
  • NOTE: You can also use this method to quickly organize and group favorite presets into folders as I have as seen in the illustration. Be careful when naming folders and presets, use only alphanumeric characters. 
  • A blank word space before the preset name or folder name will put it at the top of the list.
  • NOTE: I have only done this on a MAC, so PC users could get different results. Let us know!
  • Use caution whenever changing names or folders 'behind Lightroom's back'. Always save a backup of anything you alter this way, just in case. And ALWAYS operate with Lightroom not running.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Louis, see my reply to this thread below. It might help you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This doesn't work on current Lightroom version, only on older versions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ariel, My screen shots were made this morning on the current version of LRCC. I actually deleted the LR default presets to test it and rebooted.The ability to delete the default LR Develop presets does not appear version-dependent on my Mac, but I cannot speak for the same on a PC. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, your recipe doesn't work on my LR CC 2015.12 / OS X 10.12.6. Here's a screen recording showing that the Develop Presets folder doesn't contain the built-in presets, even though they appear in the Presets panel in Develop:  : https://www.dropbox.com/s/3qb5xrwvavwc2xr/Deleting-default-presets.2017.09.19.mov?dl=0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John,Thanks for making your video.  I can only surmise that Lightroom puts the default Presets folder somewhere else on that OX version, or for some reason adds it into the app package. I am running El Capitan on this Laptop, where it works on LRCC  2015.12 .  
Could they reside in a Lightroom Settings folder within the Pictures>Lightroom folder?That used to be one of Adobe's schemes in earlier versions.Sometimes a search for a default preset's name can reveal it's location, but newer OS is pretty opaque to searches once they reside outside of user-level folders. 
I'll be interested in seeing if you ever locate their whereabouts.
If I could edit my earlier replies, I'd clarify what OS I found this working on.Feel free to delete them if need be.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On Mac, the names of the built-in preset folders that appear in the Presets panel  are hardwired (compiled) into LR ("Lightroom B&W Filter Presets", "Lightroom B&W Presets", etc.).   They can't be deleted without hacking LR compiled code. 

The .lrtemplate files themselves are stored in this Mac directory:

/Applications/Adobe Lightroom/Adobe Lightroom.app/Contents/PlugIns/Develop.lrmodule/Contents/Resources/templates/

You can delete the .lrtemplate files to prevent them from appearing in LR, but you can't delete the folders (which are hardwired, as described above).  If you try to delete the /templates folder, you'll get an error message on startup and none of LR's modules work.

I haven't investigated Windows for several years, but I'm pretty sure the situation is similar.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Sep 20, 2017 Sep 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry David, it doesn't work for me. These things are hardcoded into LR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Sep 20, 2017 Sep 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, hard-coded indeed.
I think the best real-world solution is to make a new Develop Presets folders and populate them with custom or imported presets. At least when LR is not running, those can be easily accessed as I described earlier, then re-organized into single-level deep folder structures. The Preset and Collections GUIs are showing their age, and will hopefully improve in the future.

Votes

Translate

Translate