• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Visual indicators for adjustment tools

Enthusiast ,
May 03, 2014 May 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it possible to add indicators to the Tools section of the develop panel to indicate that spot healing, red eye tool, gradient, radial and adjustment brush etc have been applied to a photo? (Did not include crop tool because you can show that information via the info overlay but would be nice for this tool too)When going through multiple photos and using the PREVIOUS button it can get to point where you forget that for example a spot healing adjustment was made several photos back. This adjustment may not be applicable to the 7th photo in sequence that you are editing but was ok for previous ones.It is time consuming to remember to have to click on each individual tool then look for adjustment pins or click tool reset to be sure that adjustment has not be inadvertently been copied from a previous photo. (Especially if the photo editing sessions are done days apart) This is not too much of a problem if you use SYNC on multiple photos as you deselect unwanted items but when using PREVIOUS button it is copying everything and you can lose track of adjustments that may not apply to the next use of the PREVIOUS button.If there was a bright line around the tool icon or a checkmark on each individual tool in the panel then you would know that photos have those adjustments applied somewhere. Another option is to add the choice to have this info be displayed in the Loupe overlay info options. For other panels like the BASIC panel it is very quick to see that either no changes have been made as sliders are at their zero position or you see them change as you move from photo to photo. To check if a tool adjustment was made you need to click each tool to look for pins/use reset/ or search history panel and if the photo was cropped you may need to uncrop first to expose hidden pins.Bruce

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
33 Comments
Community Expert ,
May 03, 2014 May 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great idea! I'd find that useful too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Dec 27, 2016 Dec 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would find this VERY useful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 27, 2016 Dec 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Lightroom develop module, it would be very useful if there was some sort of visual indication of whether any of the local adjustment tools were already used in the open image, without the need to go into each tool and looking for the handles.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 27, 2018 Apr 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Such indicators would be extremely time saving. I would like them and would like it more than replacing the dehaze slider from one place to another 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Totally agree!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice to see some renewed interest in this after so many years...

Hopefully, more people will indicate they would like to see this feature added and bump it up on the Adobe feature consideration list.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would find this useful too!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 28, 2018 Apr 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After brainstorming a little bit I can now imagine that implementing this functionality of signaling the previous usage of brush or gradient and so on tools would make open up a picture within the development module even slower. A feature like this is so obvious helpful that I cannot imagine that Adobe wasn't aware of the benefit. I bet they prevent working on such a feature because opening up pictures is even too slow in every Lightroom version until the present one. Every further slowing down is not helpful. Adobe therefore must alter the handling of files and their adjustments and this huge task will be very expensive I guess.

I'm new to this community since yesterday. As I read the numerous problem reports with version 7.3.x Adobe has extrem problems maintaining a minimum of quality in Lightroom so that they must concentrate on core functionalities to work. The Adobe ship is a really big tanker today, software is very complex, operating systems (especially Windows 10) are more and more complex and even quicker in development that now holding pace _and_ maintaining quality is no more Adobe's strong point I fear. They have to change processes while developing software to prevent to be overtaking by others. If they hadn't Photoshop with it's non existent competition, it would be very dark at Adobe's headquarters I fear. Lightroom e.g. is very easy to replace with some other very interesting RAW converters new to the market within the last two years.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Nov 22, 2018 Nov 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd like to see indicators in the Develop right panel showing me if a crop is applied, clone/heals are in use, grad filter, redeye and/or adjustment brushes. The indicators would prevent errors when copying settings from a previous image - clone/heals are the big offenders and I sometimes don't catch that I'm applying settings across images that have a clone applied. Then, I get the email from the client asking WTF. I find it time-consuming to have to enable the features to see if there's clones or adjustments applied. The indicators would be immediate!

Easy add? Please add!

[ ◉"]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Sep 24, 2020 Sep 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom desktop and the new ACR have these little markers next to the local adjustment if it's been used on an image. It would be great to have the same in Lightroom Classic:

undefined

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree.  It's kind of related to or an extension of what I threw out here - 
Ability to view all local adjustment pins at once

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I remember seeing that - great suggestion, too. I can't tell you the number of times I looked at an image and had no clue whether there were any local adjustments. Then went through the fun process of clicking each, then waiting for the pins to appear. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Oct 04, 2020 Oct 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

+100 on this!

(let me add some text so I can post because it needs more than 20 letters...)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Dec 26, 2020 Dec 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, if there is no way to know it, I wonder if it could be possible to add:

1. ... to each targeted adjustment tool, for example, a little number at its side to let us know if this tool has been implemented to the image.

2. ... also a  list of them for each tool as per let us choose one directly, solving the problem of select a pin below a group of them, as normally happens when working with spots cleaning tool or in case there are duplicate pins in the same place.

Thanks in advance. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's another similar request here you can vote on Lightroom Classic: Visual indicators for adjustment tools | Adobe Photoshop Family

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot, @Jerry_Syder. I'm going there to have a look! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Totally agree with this improvement. I would only like to add to that useful future visual indicator, a way to see the list of the pins for each tool, as per let us choose one directly, for exemple, solving the problem of selecting a pin below a group of them, as normally happens when working with spots cleaning tool or in case there are duplicate pins in the same place of the image. A way could be to show that list when, having the tool selected, clicking on the visual indicator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just look at the history panel on the left pane in the develop module. What am I missing from your question? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @bill_3305731,

I mean without having to look at the history panel, with just one glance. The history panel can hold many lines of information and it might be difficult to see at a glance if those filters are implemented on the image or not.

Thanks to @Jerry_Syder, I have seen I am not the only one who is asking for that matter... you can have a look at the similar request he suggested to me. I am going to go on there, where I wrote some more idea.

Thanks for your comments,

Pep

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was just thinking that just now, great idea, an indicator to show any of the tools like gradient etc are being used would be super useful, a simple little red dot or underline on the tool icon would be all it needed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been meaning to add an update to this post for a while:

I noticed that Adobe at some point added the indicators as I was suggesting to LR Desktop and in Camera Raw.

So they did listen, but just no action yet for LR Classic?

For these other versions as soon as you make a slider adjustment or add an adjustment brush pin etc. to the image then a small light grey half-dot appears on the edge of the tool.

Example from Camera Raw shown below:

Before                                                     After

I changed WB and added an adjustment brush pin (see the indicators by my red marks)
It is quite subtle but it helps show those images that may have extraneous elements added when you copy/paste from another image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Sep 03, 2021 Sep 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Coming up on 8 years and this fantastic idea hasn't been added to LR but has been added to Camera Raw. What gives? Literally one of the top pain points when I work on hundreds of images where "copy from previous" or copy/paste is used alot. I can get through several dozen images only to see a weird tweak in the background of an image and realize the clone tool has been copied along unintentionally. 

Why the delay? Why aren't Camera Raw and Lr in feature parity? It's crazy confusing to work with Ps and Lr in a workflow, currently. Features and behaviors are all different. 

[ ◉"]

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Sep 08, 2021 Sep 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a problem that slows down when I have a batch processing and other cases. When I have a batch processing I need see there is Graduated Filter and Radial Filter on a photo or not. It is too long turning on the button Graduated Filter or Radial filter on each photo to check out it. 

I suggest make any markers to the icon Graduated Filter and Radial Filter if it is on a photo. For example on my image.

- Mod note, merged into existing feature request

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Sep 08, 2021 Sep 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

image.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate