• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Local adjustments and crops don't copy or work in presets applied to rotated photos

LEGEND ,
Apr 19, 2017 Apr 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Copying Radial filter effect, between portrait format images in Ligthroom5, that were taken with opposite camera rotation (one rotated clokwise, other counterclockwise) results the effect appears on mirrored position. lightroom 5.7.1 Mac v

Idea Planned
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Mar 16, 2021 Mar 16, 2021

This bug has been partially fixed in LR 10.2, for crops, Graduated Filters, and Adjustment Brushes:

https://feedback.photoshop.com/conversations/lightroom-classic/lightroom-classic-10-bug-copysync-crop-and-spot-removal-wrong-results-at-portrait-photos/5f99d47b6880ca356d037e33 

Before pasting or syncing the crop and local adjustment settings, select the target photo(s) and do Metadata > Save Metadata To File. Or set the option Catalog Settings > Metadata > Automatically Write Changes Into XMP

Votes

Translate

Translate
51 Comments
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 13, 2020 Feb 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please see the official post at the top of the thread. This would fall into the realm of a feature request. I will double check with Smit but I believe his post to this thread may have been in error.  I apologize for any confusion. 
Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 15, 2020 Feb 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I changed this topic to "Idea" (feature request).

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 28, 2020 May 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This fundamental problem is crippling for portrait shooters. To get an identical crop for portrait orientation between PSD (saved in PS) and RAW (in Lightroom):

1. Create a virtual copy of the RAW, remove the crop
2. Edit in Photoshop, rotate 90 degrees CW (clockwise), save as PSD
3. Back in LR, rotate the PSD CCW (counter-clockwise)
4. Sync the crop with the original RAW to get identical cropping

Having to do this with a series of portrait shots with mixed RAW and PSD is an excessive amount of extra work. And if you were looking at thumbnails for those PSD's outside of LR, they are all rotated 90-degrees CW or CCW.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jul 21, 2020 Jul 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please note, this is essentially modified public duplicate of LRD-4204376. We have a lot of users finding this issue so I thought it would be useful to make a version they could comment on and collect more information on cameras affected.

Problem Description:
Applying a preset containing a radial or brush based adjustment will often transform the adjustment and 'squish' it over the image. While in some portrait images the adjustment is rotated 90 degrees, in others it's squished. This all appears to relate to how lightroom considers the image. Some portrait images are considered portrait (eg 4000px x 6000px), other portrait images are considered landscape images (eg 6000x4000) rotated 90 degrees. There doesn't seem to be consistency with how these are treated when applying presets.

Steps to Reproduce:
1. Create a preset with a circular radial filter or use a commercial preset with a brushmask (eg Meridian Presets LLFx Meg Loakes Celestial) 
2. Apply this preset to an affected portrait image
3. The radial or brushmask will appear squished

Actual Result:
A variety of different results. Sometimes the preset will appear squished in the preview, sometimes not. Sometimes it will appear squished when applied, sometimes not.

Expected Result::
Preset applied as per landscape image but rotated 90 degrees

Any Workarounds:
Use a plugin. The photo:applyDevelopPreset(presetToApply, _PLUGIN) method appears to treat all portrait images the same, simply rotating the preset to match the orientation of the image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Oct 17, 2020 Oct 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm chiming in from another thread that I started recently. John_R_Eliis mentioned this may be a better venue for the issue I am experiencing. 

–––––

I found a bug a when pasting Develop Settings >Transform to HDR images. 

When I past a guided transform setting from my base exposure onto an HDR image made from the base and two other exposures, the transform guides are loaded incorrectly/ sideways. This issue only seems to affect portrait orientation images that are merged into an HDR file. 

I document exhibitions for galleries with florescent lights which need an HDR treatment in the lights/ ceiling. I only composite the HDR section of the overhead lights into my base exposures to ensure accurate color and tone of the artwork and interior space throughout the shoot. Otherwise, I would only work on the HDR image and this would not be a problem. 

If I understand correctly and my issue falls under Rikk's explanation of "behavior is as designed", I would argue that this behavior is a critical error and would only benefit Lightroom's users to correct it. 

I'm working with a FUJI GFX100, 2019 MacBook Pro 16'' running OS10.15.6 with Lightroom Classic CC 9.4

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 04, 2020 Dec 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using Auto Sync or pasting the Local Adjustments afterward pastes the adjustments rotated 90º clockwise.  That sucks.  Is there any workaround?  The photos themselves have not been rotated.

Mac OS 10.14.6

Lightroom Classic 10.0

Camera Raw 13.0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Feb 02, 2021 Feb 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm requesting that Adobe add the ability to include crop ratio when creating a custom Develop preset. 

The retained custom crop history isn't big enough. 

If I could make a history item sticky that would satisfy my current need but a preset would be better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Feb 02, 2021 Feb 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This thread is being merged into an existing authoritative thread for better tracking and response. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Mar 15, 2021 Mar 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Updates to Lightroom Classic and the Lightroom Ecosystem products for Desktop, Mobile and Web were released today and contain a fix for this issue.

Please refresh your Creative Cloud application and install your update when it becomes available. Thank you for your patience.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 16, 2021 Mar 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This bug has been partially fixed in LR 10.2, for crops, Graduated Filters, and Adjustment Brushes:

https://feedback.photoshop.com/conversations/lightroom-classic/lightroom-classic-10-bug-copysync-cro... 

Before pasting or syncing the crop and local adjustment settings, select the target photo(s) and do Metadata > Save Metadata To File. Or set the option Catalog Settings > Metadata > Automatically Write Changes Into XMP.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 12, 2021 May 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LR 10.2 fixes only some of the many problems with copying crops and local adjustments.  I've written a memo analyzing the problems described in this thread and others and providing a straightforward method for correcting them:

https://feedback.photoshop.com/conversations/lightroom-classic/lightroom-correct-copying-of-crops-an... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Jun 22, 2021 Jun 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As well as transforms swopping when syncing with the opposite format I have found another annoying error...

When syncing changes to radial filters on one image that has a set of virtual copies cropped differently Lightoom Classic now no longer places the radial filters in exactly the same relative positions.

Meaning a bridge in the middle of an image with a radial filter added will not be in the same relative position and not even the same size as the original when synced to other virtual copies.

This never happened before. Can I strongly suggest scrapping 10.3 and going back to the version when transforms actually worked properly?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 29, 2021 Jun 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I released the Copy Settings plugin, which correctly copies local adjustments, spot removals, transforms, and crops between photos. It also lets you define presets for which settings should be copied.  I'm hoping that Adobe will fix all the bugs with Copy/Synchronize Settings soon, but meanwhile, this plugin will get the job done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Jun 29, 2021 Jun 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hooray. This is just what I need.

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 06, 2021 Jul 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I copy and paste settings from one photo to another, Lightroom Classic will enlarge and reposition the Radial masks I have in the copied settings, and continue to do so until they are massive.

This is a huge problem for me, as I sometimes shoot similar photos over and over, and need to individually paste, then correct the pasted setting slightly. I now have to reset the radial masks every time I paste settings. 

After about 10 pastes, a radial mask the size of the image will be about 2x it's starting size, so off the screen.

To clarify, if I copy one photo's settings, then paste it to multiple other photos, every time it gets pasted the 'copied' information changes the size of the radial mask, so each paste gets a larger set of radial masks than the last. Frustrating as you can imagine with hundreds of images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a workaround while waiting for this bug to get fixed, see the previous post about the Copy Settings plugin.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 09, 2021 Dec 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to synchronize all my settings in develop modul, but Lightroom Classic makes weird things with my masks and transformation.

Lightroom Classic-Version: 11.0 [ 202110120910-0bccc70d ]

I can reproduce the error on at least two different systems:
Step 1 edit one image
Step 2 select the second image
Step 3 syncronize all settings

Attached you will find two screenshots of how the masks turn out on the original and on the synchronized image.

I hope anyone can help.

Kind regards,

Maurice

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Is one image a raw and the other a TIFF or PSD created from that raw? 

2. Is the raw in portrait or landscape?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes, if the crop is different on the other files, syncing will fail. This has been bugged for months and months now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Maurice5FFC, One we confirm the details of your problem, I can likely provide a solution and we can get your problem report merged with the correct bug report (or file a new one if necessary).

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 12, 2021 Dec 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your quick response!

We are talking about uncropped, original dng files. Unfortunately I can`t provide them because they are not mine. I am just the photo editor. It happend to portrait and landscape images.

The photographer told me, that some images were rotated inside the camera. I gues it has something to do with that.

Best regards,

Maurice

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Without actual sample files and/or more details, it will be difficult to confirm that you are tripping over the known bugs. Perhaps you can ask the photographer for permission to post two of the existing files or for sample files that show the problem.

If a) the sources of the copy/sync settings are portrait raw/DNGs, b) the target of the copy/sync settings are TIFFs or PSDs created in Photoshop (or the copy/sync is going in the opposite direction), then you likely are tripping over the known bugs.  As a workaround, you could use the Copy Settings plugin.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 02, 2022 Oct 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,
A problem after a new version of LR (MacOS, 10.15.7 ; LR 5.5). Copy Paste of mask aren't at the good place. The mask on the new photo is rotated and translated.

How can i fix this problem ?

Kinds regards

Votes

Translate

Translate