• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Make curves bigger

Community Beginner ,
Jan 17, 2012 Jan 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be great if the curves panel in Lightroom was physically bigger. The current panel is too small. While it's easy to make big adjustments, fine tuning is difficult and imprecise. I've attached two screenshots showing the curves panel for Lightroom (LR 4 beta) and Aperture (3.2.2) for the same image. In Lightroom, I've selected a medium contrast curve; in Aperture, I've used the "auto" curve option. Physically, the Lightroom curve panel itself measures 160 pixels per side. The Aperture one is 260 pixels per side, 60% bigger linearly, and three times the area! (67,500 pixels versus 25,600.)Aperture's bigger curves panel gives three big advantages:-- it's easier to see the changes, particularly in relation to the linear slope;-- it's easier to make changes, particularly precise ones; and-- it's easier to either select a current point or make a new one without accidentally doing the opposite.I'd also say a bigger panel encourages you to use it: just grab a point and yank it, without worrying that you have to be pixel precise.

Idea Released
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
38 Comments
New Here ,
May 01, 2016 May 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot believe this hasn't gone into LR development roadmap yet. Curves control area is way too small to really unleash the power of this feature that resides in precise and small changes, not big curves deviation which leads you to undesired extreme editing techniques.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 11, 2016 Jul 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another vote for Larger Curves panel.
Make it identical to the significantly larger panel in Camera Raw.
Also, let the user adjust the points with numerical values like you can also do in Camera Raw

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 04, 2017 Feb 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not comfortable to use such small curves. You need to hold down the [Alt/Opt] key to reduce curve movement to 1/10th strength.
But it can be more comfortable to use big "Tone Curve" panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 04, 2017 Feb 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One trick no one has mentioned here is to hold down the SHIFT key, which restricts control point movement to the Y axis. This useful if you want to enter specific control point values such as 22.0%/18.0%. Drag the control point to set the X axis value first and then hold down the Shift key to set the Y axis control point. The Shift key can be used in combination with the ALT/Opt key.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Mar 08, 2017 Mar 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make the Curves frame fill its panel fully (see screenshot attached). As it stands now it is too small and has reduced precision in a small laptop screen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 08, 2017 Mar 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think Curves could be enlarged both within the panel, and enlarge proportionally to fill the panel if we enlarge the panel, too. I agree the interface is too small. I think they developed it for parametric curves, then threw in point curves without consideration for the need to be able to easily place and manipulate the anchors and the curve right inside that little space.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 28, 2018 Aug 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A larger curves panel like in photoshop would be ideal for fine edits and should be a quick fix 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 28, 2018 Aug 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The curves box is bigger in Lr 7.5

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 29, 2018 Aug 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I missed that in the release notes: 
https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/help/whats-new.html#main-pars_header_760724008.

And the histogram has better contrast.  Better late than never!

LR 7.2:

LR 7.5:

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 27, 2020 Jan 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YESSSS   please make curves panel bigger it is currently too small and inaccurate, would love to have more control when clicking. >>>> you can make it pop out of the panel so we can make it as big as we want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 06, 2022 Jan 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, 10 years after the original post requested a bigger tone panel I would also like to ask for this feature. A pop out panel would be awesome! Look how much space I have and I have this tiny little graph:

lightroom.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 05, 2023 Nov 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I would like to add to this thread also. I've come to rely on the tone curve as one of most powerful tools for accurate colour grading as well as tone adjustments of images within Lightroom, but the size of the panel makes small accurate adjustments quite difficult. 

You can drag the develop panel to the left to give it more space on the screen, but the tone curve remains the same size. I understand that because it needs to remain square in shape this would require the tone curve section to scale vertically, but I dont see this being an issue? You can see how it currently looks from the screenshots.

I think this would massively improve the functionality of the tone curve.

Screenshot 2023-11-05 at 10.05.36.pngScreenshot 2023-11-05 at 10.05.59.png

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Nov 06, 2023 Nov 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I agree, Curves is a delicate tool to deal with and deserve more precision.
In Capture One we can extract the curve of the adjustments panel and to make it larger as long as necessary. Clever.

Votes

Translate

Translate