• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P:(Masking) Intensity modifier for Masks and Components

Advocate ,
Feb 04, 2022 Feb 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suggest to have an Intensity settings for Masks and Components.

This Intensity Settings would allow to change the Intensity of the settings applied.

Intensity would differ form the "Amount" slider we have now or Photoshop's "Opacity" slider in two significant ways.

At Mask level we would be able to change the Intensity going from the default 100% up to 200%, 300% etc...

E.g.

So, suppose you have a setting (e.g Shadows) applied at +100 (Mask Intensity is at 100%)  but that is not quite enough to achieve the desired result.

Solution: user would just increase the Intensity to 150%, 200% to reach the desired result. 

The advantage of this is that one doesn't have to to duplicate the Mask. 

Please read the bottom part for further info about Duplications.

At Component Level we would be able to change the Intensity going from 1-100%

Intensity is mostly beneficial for Subtracting and perhaps should be available only to Subtractions.

E.g.

Suppose you want to subtract part of the mask using a Gradient, sadly the intensity of the subtraction is too much, you want something softer.

Solution: to achieve the desired result user would simply change the Intensity of the component/subtraction to 50% or 30% or 5%, etc...

The limit we have today with Subtraction.

At today the Intensity of the subtraction of a Gradient is fixed at 100%, it cannot be changed and Feather or Falloff do something else.

At at today the solution to get a very soft subtraction using Gradients is to create a different Mask with opposite settings to the Mask we want to correct.

E.g

Mask has shadows -100.

Instead of subtracting (which will be too strong) users must create new mask with +30 Shadows.

This "add to correct" allows for better results than using a Subtract Gradient...BUT this means having to use two Masks with completely different settings.

With Brush is possible to have better and softer subtraction BUT brush is potentially bad just like duplications.

So Intensity would help tremendously to increase the effect of a Mask without duplicating AND would help to achieve better subtractions.

Why Duplications and using Brush are dangerous!

At today there is a "Local Edits Upper Limit" in Lr. 

Once we reach this limit the photo resets...I called this "Reset Bug"

Any tool we use contributes to reaching this "upper limit" (Healing, Clone and Spot Removal included)

Duplicating means having more tools and edits > having more edits means getting closer to the "Upper Limit" = this is bad!

If possible avoid duplicating in Lr!

Brushes contribute the most to reaching the "Upper Limit" because of the many dab points contained in brushes...sadly using a brush or duplicating one is the most dangerous thing to do in Lr.

This Reset Bug is a complex one to fix, it was reported by me and other years ago and so far has never been fixed nor I know how prioritised it is in Lr.

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
7 Comments
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry I wrote Intensity wrong in the title.

Can a moderator edit/fix it...I can't fix it anymore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Corrected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Todd Shaner 

Thanks for correcting the error but not sure why you change the title so much from my original..

The idea is more complex and article than "Intensity to dial past 100%" it's to have Intensity at Component level as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 05, 2022 Feb 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

C.Cella I only corrected the spelling of the word 'Intensity' in the title. Nothing else was changed. Please tell me what would you like the title to be and I'll update it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Todd Shaner 

Ah sorry, someone else must have changed it.

"Intensity modifier for Masks and Components"

This would better reflect my suggestion...and it's also better than my original title.

I did not say how to implement Intensity UI wise BUT I don't think a slider would be good.

The Masking UI is quite small an editable percentage indicator would be good...I will post a mock-up UI asap.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Title changed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Advocate ,
Feb 06, 2022 Feb 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Here is the UI mock-up of the Intensity modifier.

Intesity Mock-up.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate