Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P:(Masking) Masking, Flatten Mask

LEGEND ,
Nov 02, 2021 Nov 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Request for change:

In Masking, add the capability to flatten a complex mask.

For example;

Create a Mask, make several Adds, maybe a few Subtractions, what the heck an Intersection, Now I want to simplify that from a bunch of components into one, I have no fear of wanting to undo this. Flatten the combined mask into one.

Another example'

I create a subject mask, I make additions, I want to invert but I am too lazy to start over, Flatten the mask into one, now it will invert properly. the whole mask, not just one component (yes, creating the initial subject mask, then inverting, then adding etc would be better, but...)

By the way, could this save some memory, some hard drive space?

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
3 Comments
Community Expert ,
Nov 03, 2021 Nov 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't have to start over when you invert a mask. What you have to do is invert the base mask, and then toggle all 'refine masks' from add to subtract and vice versa (right-click on it). Adobe could (should) make a button that does this all in one click, but flatten the masks would be a very poor workaround so I would personally never support such an idea.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Nov 08, 2021 Nov 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After trying out the new masking options on V11, refining the subject sdmask with add and subtract, inverting for BG editing, and reading about the issues that have been the subject of the  Invert/Flip Mask Group  I feel that what would resolve all of this is an option to Merge theentire mask group with all its refining layer masks after duplicating Mask. This will allow us to keep the components if needed further refinement, and also have a merged version for a perfect Invert.

Expert in Senior training on LRC & Photoshop>Tovit Lore<br />Expert in Senior training on LRC & Photoshop

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Nov 09, 2021 Nov 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Merging components has already been suggested, but I think it's a bad idea. One of the great improvements in the new masking is that your work is now completely non-destructive. You no longer brush in the mask, you add a separate brush component. Merging these components would be going back to the previous version and it is not necessary at all, and creating a merged duplicate mask would only increase the catalog size. An "Invert Mask" button at the top level could take care of all the inverting/adding/subtracting without destroying the components by merging them and without creating a duplicate mask.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate