• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P:(Masking) Permanently toggle off gradient overlay and permanently invert radial gradient

Explorer ,
Nov 01, 2021 Nov 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've installed new Lightroom version 11.0.

When I draw a radial gradiant, the red overlay is now on the inside of the gradient every single time. In previous versions of Lightroom, by default the changes made to the radial gradient were on the outside, or at least, Lightroom would remember the last radial gradient you drew and the next one you would draw would be either inverted or not depending on the previous one you drew. Lightroom no longer remembers the last gradient you drew. I mostly make changes to the outside of the radial gradient, so now every time I draw one I have to invert it. Or is there a way to make it behave like it did before?

Another irritation is the red tool overlays are now always on when you draw them. In previous versions, the tools would remember if you had the overlay turned on the last time you used it. Or you could hover your mouse over the pin to display the overlay. Is there a way to make this behave like it did in the past so that it doesn't automatically show the red overlay every single time? When it displays the overlay I can't see the changes the brush or gradient is applying. I'd rather see my settings being applied so I can tell if it's the desired effect I want. 

I know there are keyboard shortcuts to quickly toggle these things but now I have to do it on hundreds of images over and over. Before I didn't. So this is adding thousads of keystrokes to my workflow. 

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
40 Comments
LEGEND ,
Nov 02, 2021 Nov 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was replying to this post and my clip didnt get uploaded.  It is not difficult and unnecessary and is better and still simple.

Screen Shot 2021-11-02 at 12.36.51 PM.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Nov 17, 2021 Nov 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

100% agree about the Invert check box with radial gradients.  I finally found the "Reset Sliders Automatically" box and unchecked that so at least I can now do the same sort of edit to successive pictures but it is annoying that I have to click a box to invert the radial gradient every single picture.  I wish that was tied to the "Reset Sliders" check box and thus stayed the way it was last set.

Hopefully this will come in a bug fix!  Seems simple. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Dec 25, 2021 Dec 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please allow to default as "inverted" just as it did before. I'm sure tens of photographers out there, like us, use the radial filter as a "custom vignette" tool and this behaviour slows down our work a lot. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 28, 2022 Jan 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sitting here having to do 100+ photos that need a custom radial gradient, of course inverted. Like some of the others posting before I've got to click inverted every single picture. Now please tell me why I'm wrong instead of fixing this. #tiredofadobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh and I just discovered the keyboard shortcut.. it involves two key completely across the keyboard taking the hand off the mouse while using a mouse tool (for placing the filter). You gotta be kidding me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure if this helps, but the apostrophe key ( single quote ' ) toggles the mask invert.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the tip drtonyb! Unfortunately it doesn't... having to reactivate this is bad as it is, unfortunately they also picked this as the shortcut.. At least on my German keyboard that requires shift and a key on the very right.

It's hard to find a shortcut that actually takes as long as just clicking the box, but they managed to find it.. So I'll just be clicking.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"At least on my German keyboard that requires shift and a key on the very right."

As a workaround while waiting for Adobe to remember the state of the Invert checkbox, you can change this shortcut to ";",  adding this line to the TranslatedStrings file:

"$$$/AgDevelop/Localized/InvertMaskKey=;"

It's likely you could use other keys instead, though beware that many keys and key combinations are already assigned, and sometimes unassigned keys just don't work in TranslatedStrings.  So experiment.

See here for details on how to edit TranslatedStrings:

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/custom-keyboard-shortcuts/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Apr 18, 2022 Apr 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Runnig latest version of LR Classic (as of 18/04/22).

The issue

It used to be that the state of "invert" option for radial gradient was remembered. Meaning that if I toggled the "invert" to "checked", created the gradient, closed the tool, opened it again to create another gradient, the "invert" was still "checked". This was a time saver, since users mostly use the filter in the same way.

Current state

Currently (at least since 06/21) the state is not remembered and always starts "non-checked", which means that in my workflow I have to check it every time I create radial gradient.

Desired state

Remember last used state if "invert" checkbox for relevant tools.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Apr 23, 2023 Apr 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is almost 2 years since I first posted about this here. It used to be that the "Invert" state was remembered, which is the best solution. It got removed at some point (Lr6 still had it).

But the devs really do not care about this judging by the time it is unnoticed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@lukasradek 

While vote counts are not the sole arbiter of features' worthiness 5 votes in 18 months is a lackluster showing.
The change was made in version 11.0 from the previous behavior in 10.4 due to the massive changes in Masking and the resulting logic harmonization across masking types. 

A feature request is that: a request. Many factors are evaluated in the decision to incorporate or decline a feature request. Time elapsed does not figure prominently in the math. 

Valid, well-stated arguments and a host of like-minded requestors will aid a feature request. It is important to remember that these alone do not guarantee a feature's inclusion. 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yeah... I know... I have heard that before.

The thing for me is, that I see this more as a bug rather the feature request. The remember state behaviour was present in many versions of LR and it was replaced with inferior behaviour that hinders the usability. The hinderance is even worse with the fact that the new masking UI is significantly slower to load even if I want to add a simple brush adjustment (opened via shortcut). I am also not sure what harmonization are we talking about because literarily everything else in local adjustment settings remembers its state except this "Invert" checkbox.

Regarding the vote-based prioritization... I get it since I am a developer as well and I am managing a small project. But when deciding what to implement/fix next I also take into consideration the amount of work it will take. Meaning that I will happily prioritize easy fixes / feature with 10 votes over complicated ones with 20 votes.

And this is an easy fix.

Also there is this https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-ideas/p-masking-invert-mask-remember-state/idc-p/13... issue regarding this problem with 8 more votes... if that means anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate