• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P:(Masking) Right Click : Convert to Intersect & Convert to Normal

Advocate ,
Apr 09, 2022 Apr 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suggest to implement two simple right click options for existing components.

1. Convert to Intersect
  2. Convert to Normal

First option would allow to convert an existing component directly into a Intersection.

This would be simpler and faster than the steps we have to do now.

Second option would allow to return an existing intersected component to the normal, default "add" component.

This as well is simpler and faster than what we have to do now to achieve the same.

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
7 Comments
Advocate ,
Apr 10, 2022 Apr 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This could also be achieved with a  shortcut, with the Intersect modifier.

Alt/Option + click on component = converted to Intersect/Normal depending on its state.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jun 07, 2022 Jun 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I was wondering if it would be possible to implement a way of subtracting, adding and intersecting previously created masks by selection or via a drop-down from the mask list created in RAW and Lightroom Classic? 

I would find this a powerful and time-saving improvement of using the already very impressive masking system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree that would be useful. Meanwhile, while waiting for Adobe to implement this, you can use the Copy Settings plugin to change an existing mask component to Add, Subtract, or Intersect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Advocate ,
Jun 08, 2022 Jun 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@StuartTPhotography 

I highly recommend to use Copy Settings by @johnrellis 

He implement exactly what I ask here.

As for  a way to Intersect or Subtract an entire existing Mask, not a component, I am afraid that is impossible now but I agree it would be great to have.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just as a comment: while "intersect" can be thought of as a third kind of action (alongside "add" and "subtract"), it cannot be set explicitly for a mask component and AFAICT it does not need to be. A given mask component can either have Add / Subtract behaviour; and it can be Inverted / not Inverted. That's it.

When you opt for a brand new masking component to Intersect with what is already there: LrC simply sets Subtract action, and Invert state, for you. It's a convenience shortcut only, IOW. There's no separate 'Intersect' mode in its own right.

So this outcome is easy to achieve ourselves after the fact, once we've grasped what intersection (as an intended outcome) does actually mean.

IMO a button or shortcut that blindly (say) switched the invert state of an existing mask component and also switched its Add / Subtract mode, would not be reliably helpful towards an intersection result - there'd be a range of outcomes depending on the prior attributes of this mask component. Unpicking this could be arguably more complicated, than simply using the current controls in an aware manner.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@richardplondon 

Intersection should be an Operator on its own.

It has been proposed (not by me but I agree with that suggestion)...I have given up on that and I don't expect Adobe to change things so we are going to be using Intersection as the result of Invert and Subtract.

Copy Settings on the other hand turns any existing component, in any state, into an Intersection.

It is very fast and efficient and produces always the correct result.

Votes

Translate

Translate