• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P:(Masking) Select Face, Skin, Features

Community Beginner ,
Dec 17, 2021 Dec 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Absolutely love the new subject and sky selection tool in Lightroom! However this can be SOO much more!! As a portrait photographer I constantly have to mask peoples skin and teeth. I would love to have Lightroom automatically detect teeth and whiten them, or skin have the skin masked and smoothed out! Would make my job 100x easier! 

Idea Released
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Feb 22, 2022 Feb 22, 2022

Setting status and moving to Lightroom Classic for better visibility.

Status Under review

Votes

Translate

Translate

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Oct 18, 2022 Oct 18, 2022

Greetings,

Updates to Adobe Photography Products were released today and now contain this new feature. Please refresh your Adobe Creative Cloud App ([Ctrl/Cmd]+[Alt/Opt]+[ R ]) and download the updated version “.0”. 

Status Released

Votes

Translate

Translate
18 Comments
Contributor ,
Feb 22, 2022 Feb 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

''Face Detect'' and ''Eye Detect'' features as part of the ''Select Subject'' option in Camera Raw will be a blast! It will speed up the editing process and improve this already awesome feature.

Why? Because for stock images we always go for the face for editing. That is where the sharpness is needed. I am doing this already in ACR but automatic face detection will be the more then needed for speeding up the process for all of us who sell at Adobe Stock. And again, thanks for putting ''Select Subject'' it in Camera Raw, more than awesome!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

''Face Detect'' and ''Eye Detect'' features as part of the ''Select Subject'' option in Camera Raw will be a blast! It will speed up the editing process and improve this already awesome feature.

Why? Because for stock images we always go for the face for editing. That is where the sharpness is needed. I am doing this already in ACR but automatic face detection will be the more then needed for speeding up the process for all of us who sell at Adobe Stock. And again, thanks for putting ''Select Subject'' it in Camera Raw, more than awesome!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Setting status and moving to Lightroom Classic for better visibility.

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products
Status Under review

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,
Mar 04, 2022 Mar 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

good suggestion

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 07, 2022 May 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I really want Lightroom mobile to bring more solution based features/AI based features like  Skin tone selection , teeth detection and whitening, hair selection for color correction, face detection and selection to make retouching easier, eyes and nose detection to manipulate it and being able to adjust, kind of like Luminar AI or Facetune 2 or Picsart. References are just for clearer understanding and i am sure lightroom would do much better job at this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,
May 08, 2022 May 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, Adobe is very far behind with Semantic Segmentation. I've been trying to encourage them for years to head in this direction, but they tend to follow instead of lead these days. I guess they want to make sure there's enough profit before devoting the resources.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 09, 2022 May 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's just sad to see. They already have such a strong base of users but still they are delaying it maybe. These features would make life so mucb easier, and ut would be groundbreaking feature for us and also to acquire new people those are not that much professional editors but would want those features.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
May 09, 2022 May 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may well be right about users wanting such features in Lightroom Mobile, but this has been posted into the Lightroom Classic forum. You may wish to re-post your suggestion in the Lightroom Ecosystem forum here 

To be clear, LrMobile like Lr uses cloud based AI processing - by contrast, LrClassic uses locally running algorithms only, and so far as "AI" for main-subject and sky detection only at this time. The typical user of LrClassic on the desktop is also likely to have Photoshop available as a partner product. There are already many well established tools and techniques, including PS plugins by 3rd parties, addressing that environment. So this aspect may become another where cloud Lr and local LrClassic will come to further diverge.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Advocate ,
May 18, 2022 May 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"There are already many well established tools and techniques, including PS plugins by 3rd parties, addressing that environment."

> Can you name one that puts out a proper B&W mask, not a collection of greys or varied selections?

BTW, PS Color Range shouldn't have a checkbox for 'faces' if it selects all kinds of garbage on the side...
In native PS I'd like a dependable skin mask (not a collection of greys, holes, and garbage), and maybe an option to try and not reveal eyes and teeth. I will understand if that option can not be perfect.
I don't think it exists? The Russian guy might come close if we ask him.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Partial selection per pixel ("shades of grey") is sometimes a fact of life in the PS bitmap masking environment, and refining a mask in PS is operating in that territory. As is made clear when we examine the channel resulting, or when we "decontaminate" a selection onto a fresh layer.

Perhaps by "a proper B&W mask" you mean a hard vector selection (as might be made with the Bezier pen tool)? That is a very different matter and IMO far outside of LrC's own scope.

If by "B&W" you mean an all-or-nothing pixel mask, then to the extent this consists of pixels aliased at a certain resolution, jagged edges and a degree of "scatter" must be expected. I suppose 'smoothing' could be applied for a simpler boundary line, as might happen when applying a Stamp filter (or whatever) onto a mask channel in PS - but typically we are not looking for such an arbitrarily cleaned-up boundary, to the extent it noticeably fails to conform to the delicacies of the picture content.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Perhaps by "a proper B&W mask" you mean a hard vector selection (as might be made with the Bezier pen tool)? That is a very different matter and IMO far outside of LrC's own scope."
> Fine, but you claimed it exists in related software. I ask to show me 🙂 A hard vector I would not consider a proper mask, but it would be easy to make it more proper by adding feathering.

"If by 'B&W' you mean an all-or-nothing pixel mask, then to the extent this consists of pixels aliased at a certain resolution, jagged edges and a degree of "scatter" must be expected."
> Not if there is true face/skin detection, IMO. For starters, we should not see garbage selected outside of the faces.

"Typically we are not looking for such an arbitrarily cleaned-up boundary, to the extent it noticeably fails to conform to the delicacies of the picture content."

> I'm not dreaming of perfection, but clearly there is room to get a lot closer. Some plugins seem to be proving that, and even you suggested they exist 😉

Even the Color Range for faces/skin is useful, but surely we can get a good deal better?

I love to use all kinds of processing where I prefer to have a pretty dark skin mask. For me, that would be a "hard mask" with some feathering, if possible, optionally including/excluding eyes, teeth, ...

You can get cool or more natural results with channel masking though, and I'd love to become more expert with those, but I will still appreciate the option foe a "hard" face/skin mask too (which of course can be faded to match). Such a no-brainer to me.

But yes, sorry, I'm thinking more of PS than Lr here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 25, 2022 Jun 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could the new masking tool in LR Classic have an inclusion, please?  Select Face/s.  LR recognises faces to identify them, why not use that technology to select faces for editing purposes - thank you for considering Brian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Aug 24, 2022 Aug 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The AI masking for subjects and sky has been much helpful for me since introduced in LrC. What would also be great is to have new AI mask called Select Face(s). I know that a lot of rival apps already introduced this function many years ago. I am not asking for specific retoucher tools but just to have an option to select faces only instead of the whole subject. The AI would detect faces on the photo and create corresponding number of masks for each face.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Sep 15, 2022 Sep 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The KI-masks are amazing and now that they are actually compatible for batch processing a really useful feature for me as a professional photographer. I wonder if a KI-mask for eyes and teth could be included as a next feature as it would make the editing of galleries so much faster.
Any chances for a KI-mask on eyes/teeth? For me mainly adjustment of saturation and brightness would be incredibly helpful.

Thank you!
Christina

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Oct 18, 2022 Oct 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greetings,

Updates to Adobe Photography Products were released today and now contain this new feature. Please refresh your Adobe Creative Cloud App ([Ctrl/Cmd]+[Alt/Opt]+[ R ]) and download the updated version “.0”. 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products
Status Released

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 18, 2022 Oct 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the update - It looks great!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 19, 2022 Oct 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the new update looks amazing but the people detection refuses to find people for me. Comes up with  unable to load AI selection model  not mater what I do but all the other selection masks are woking great. Am I missing something like an preference??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Oct 19, 2022 Oct 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Any chance of a "feather/soften mask edges" controller (for all kinds of masks) being added in the near future?

Votes

Translate

Translate