• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Multiple Selection Smart Collection Set Export should export all selected SC's

Contributor ,
Jan 26, 2022 Jan 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Have multiple smart collection sets defined under Collections in a Collection Set.
  2. Select multiple smart collection with Shift Click
  3. Context Menu > Export Smart Collection Settings...
  4. Save

Note that when the Save Panel appears, there is only one file name displayed in the editable field.

Check the output folder and there is only one file that matches the last selected.

Multiple selection is being ignored.

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
12 Comments
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 27, 2022 Jan 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,  

Thanks for reaching out! Sorry for the trouble with exporting smart collections in Lightroom Classic. We are here to help. Could you please confirm the version of Lightroom Classic along with the operating system which you are working on? Does this happen with a specific set of images? Where is the export destination set, to an external drive or internal drives? 

Please follow the steps below to export smart collections in a batch: 

• Select the smart collections which you wish to export. 
  • Ensure that no individual image is selected or highlighted like shown beloin the grid view. Use shortcut G to switch to Grid view. 

SameerK_0-1643296932578.png

SameerK_1-1643296932578.png

• Use the export button in the library or use CTRL + Shift + E (Windows) & CMD + Shift + E (macOS) after you have selected the smart collections and ensured that no images are highlighted or selected.

This should help you export the smart collections in batches. 

Please let us know if this helps you out! 

Regards, 

Sameer K. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The OP refers to exporting Smart Collections' Settings (chiefly their inclusion rules, as I understand it).

That is a different task, than exporting copies of the images that are currently showing in these Smart Collections.

I don't know which of these the OP wants - but if the former, that use case seems rather arcane IMO and it's not surprising to me that only one at a time can be exported. If the latter, the wrong menu option has been chosen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

macOS Big Sur

LRC 11.1

Not trying to immediately export the images that the smart collections find.

The use case is to setup a Published Service (Hard Drive) based on the Smart Collections previously setup under Collections.

You can export them out the indivudual collection from Collections and reimport the definitions back in under a published service. The process works for one at a time. When you have 100 of them you don't want to have to type them in again.

Expanding on the use case, the end goal is to produce a file hierarchy that reflects the smart collections.

I have Collection Set with multiple named Smart Collections. I need to export out a folders where each named (smart) folder is a subfolder of a master folder. I really don't want to have to highlight the images from each smart collection and export with a manually typed in folder name. (But that's what I'm having to do....)

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Multiple selection is being ignored."

Unfortunately, LR has always behaved this way and there have been a few similar complaints in the past, e.g.

https://feedback-readonly.photoshop.com/conversations/lightroom-classic/lightroom-classic-collection... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moderators, @Rikk Flohr: Photography, please move to Ideas.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Feb 10, 2022 Feb 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So doing this one smart collection at a time. Exporting out from the Collection and reimporting into the Published service.

Another way to do this could be via the Export definitions. 

However you would need template editor that understood inserting a path based on a variable. Currently the path to which you export your files is defined once at the top level. There are no variations. Of course, you still need a top level root folder.

So in my case I would want to Export out the file with a folder that is based on the current collection name.

So the file template editor would need to be enhanced with a subfolder definition section.

I could imagine that could also use a keyword to construct the subfolder name - only works if there is one keyword.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This workflow could be so much more efficient if multiple selection and export of Collections actually understood and iterated through multiple selection. Just asking for the top level folder and then saving each one with the default file name. 

Importing back into the Published service actually support multiple selection in the open panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the images can be grouped into standard Collections (as opposed to Smart Collections): a plugin from Jeffrey Friedl can directly live-publish those out to disk, in a folder tree to follow how these various Collections, and Collection Sets, are seen inside the Catalog. http://regex.info/blog/lightroom-goodies/collection-publisher 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good to know that the process is codable ... was wondering how much that can be automated and have been reading up on Lua. I acutally now need to automate the creation of multiple smart collections since I know the categories beforenand.

Publishing out to hard disk in folders is entirely doable without the plug in. I ended up finalising a solution that worked. It even uses Smart Collections. 

The hurdle is that you have to do the export / import process with the Smart Collection. It works as a two step as I found it easier to do the checking before turning it into a published service. A drag of the Smart Collection from Collections to Published services, as well as multiple selection support, would reduce the tedium of exporting out one at a time.

There's a slight UI delay in the published service, you aren't quite sure that the process has kicked off when you are dealing with multiple collections - there's no feedback initially. It does feel like it takes longer than the built in export. You are waiting 10s of seconds for folders with between 3-10 images - so there seems to be opportunities for perfomance optimsations. But if you watch the target folder, it gives you the clue about images being written out to disk.

Just gathering some quantitative evidence about performance: To write out 61 folders as a hard disk published service which only contained 301 images the time difference between the creation of the first folder to the last was 30 minutes! Images were exported with a defined edge size, so there's some re-rendering to do. I'm sure we can do better than 6 seconds per image.

There's also another interesting function that I haven't found yet and that is to be able convert an existing Smart Collection into a non-Smart Collection, effectively locking the contents so it no longer dynamically responds to search result change. If you need to archive collections and know exactly what was defined at a certain point in time this would be useful - you don't need change after a certain point; the collection has been smart enough up until now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The suggestion to only select the collections and make sure that no image is selected at the time doesn't seem to work. (Interesting point that image selection could confound other selection ... yes, there is a lot of selection states going on).

It still asks to save effectively the last item in the selected collections. It only saves the last one. 

Checked whether there was any magic to combine multiple in a single file format ... alas no.

dw24154351_0-1644537484359.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 05, 2023 May 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I installed and tried this plug-in, but I could not figure out which options to choose to get regular folders SETS on disk that match the collection SETS in LRC. I always wound up with MIRROR folders (which matched), which include the word "mirror" as part of the folder names. But I need name & collection set:folder matching for further procesing. Any tips on which options to select on which panels to get SETS of folders created, would be greatly appreciated. I don'nt want my images to al lget dumped in the same folder (the parent).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
May 06, 2023 May 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just to check, there are two similar plugins offered - Folder Publisher and Collection Publisher. Both these plugins create and manage image folders externally, containing exported copies of the edited images within the Catalog. To see those copies organised in the same way as they are in Collections within the Catalog: it is Collection Publisher that should be used.

Votes

Translate

Translate