• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: 'Open as Smart Object Layers in Photoshop...'

LEGEND ,
Jul 27, 2015 Jul 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While Lightroom has ‘Open as Smart Object in Photoshop’ and ‘Open as Layers in Photoshop’, there is no ‘Open as Smart Object Layers in Photoshop’

I do quite a bit of compositing work in PS, and use LR for asset management and preparation. I prefer to insert them into PS as smart objects while I assemble the composites, so I can make final raw file adjustments once placed in situ. However, the only current option to export to PS as smart objects puts them all in separate PS documents, which can be tedious to combine when there are a large volumes of images to be inserted in a single composite.

I’m not sure if this is an easy fix, or if other people have similar desires, but I would greatly appreciate if you would considering adding ‘Open as Smart Object Layers in Photoshop’ to a future LR CC update.

Idea Released
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Apr 18, 2023 Apr 18, 2023

Features:

Greetings all,

Updates for Adobe Photography products have been released.  The April 2023 updates have implemented this feature request.

If you do not see the update in your Creative Cloud Application, you can refresh it by hitting [Ctrl/Cmd]+[Alt/Opt]+[ R ].

Note: It may take up to 24 hours for your update to be available in your Creative Cloud app.

Thank you for your patience.

Status Released

Votes

Translate

Translate
22 Comments
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also would like this feature implemented. When compositing (or even just heavy editing), It would be nice to be able to pull several assets at once into PS as smart objects. As it is right now, I have to export one at a time to PS, then manually combine them together in a single PSD. This is not a big deal for 2 photos, but when I am pulling elements from 7-8 different photos - the process is cumbersome to say the least.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand your frustration. I would suggest resubmitting this suggestion to the Adobe Photoshop forums. This is a valid complaint and suggestion! I currently resolve this issue by selecting 'Open as Layers in Photoshop', then individually right clicking the name-label of each layer and selecting 'Convert to Smart Object'. I hope this helped! If you have any more questions, concerns, or problems, reply to this response.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Pie King,

Unfortunately that doesn't preserve the raw data. So, it's still not the same as 'Open as Smart Object', select layer, 'duplicate', 'select target document', 'ok', close file, 'don't save', repeat.

I've already setup a keyboard shortcut to 'convert to smart object' in PS and do it anytime I'm working composites that don't involve raw files and I want to preserve resolution while playing with scaling. But any time I want to create a large layered document with raw data preserved, there is no shortcut to the lengthy process outlined above.

Either way, both situations could be solved by adding 'Open as Smart Object Layers in Photoshop' to the LR contextual menu.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Mar 18, 2016 Mar 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too really want this feature. I am very often creating composites from 5-10 files, and would really like to be able to have the layers be linked smart objects (would save tons of file space and time saving the composites)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Mar 18, 2016 Mar 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 08, 2016 Apr 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I forget where I read this technique but it's a great workaround...

1) From Lightroom, open one of your files as a smart object
2) Return to Lightroom and select the additional files you want to layer / composite
3) Drag and drop the selected files from Lightroom on to the document in Photoshop (from step 1)
4) Make adjustments in the raw processor (if necessary).  Click OK.
5) Hit Enter / Return to place the file in the document as a smart object

Steps 4 & 5 will automatically be repeated for each file you selected in Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Aug 15, 2019 Aug 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Lightroom you can open an image as a smart object, and you can open multiple images as layers, but you cannot open multiple images as smart object layers. This feature would help speed up my workflow greatly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 27, 2020 Feb 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was requested 5 years ago, but not implemented. It could even be done as a script to combine all open objects as layers. There are a lot of us pro photographers who do compositing and this would save us lots of time with minimal effort.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
May 23, 2022 May 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'd like to request for the ability to open two different images from lightroom as smart objects in a single Photoshop document. (Open as Smart Object latyers in Photoshop) 

Underthe current cababilities of Lightrrom I have to open each image in PS as Smart Objects and then copy them to a single document. This is very time consuming. 

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Feb 24, 2023 Feb 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So this feature has been requested for 8 years now?! I would think this request would be pretty straight forward, especially when compared to all of the advanced masking features added in recent versions of lightroom.

Please, please, please Adobe. Please Add support to Lightroom Classic in order to "Open as Smart Object Layers in Photoshop". I'm a commercial photographer and digital artist. I also do a ton of composite work and always work with smart objects. Currently there is no automated way to take images from lightroom and add them to a single photoshop document as smart object layers. The only way to do this is manually and it takes forever. 

Please make this happen!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree. It would save photographers a lot of time to be able to open
multiple RAW files as smart object layers in Photoshop.

Just yesterday, I had to move four smart objects into a single document and
it would have been much quicker if Lightroom / Photoshop could have handled
the process for me.

--

*Mike Wardynski Photography*

[Moderator]

[personal information removed per policy - 

https://community.adobe.com/t5/adobe-community-professionals/email-signatures-and-personal-informati...

[This is a public forum, not Adobe support, please do not post personal information]

* <>
<>
<>
<>*

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try moving 50 smart object images into a single document. I do that frequently. And then after you move them into a single document, you have to close all of the other open documents. It takes forever. 

I realize this wouldn't be a headline/standout feature to most people. But it would certainly be a quality of life feature for working professionals.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Mar 02, 2023 Mar 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Digital Art That Rocks  @Nature Mike  Please check your direct messages regarding this thread. 

Thanks!

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Mar 02, 2023 Mar 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks @Rikk Flohr: Photography , will do!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Apr 18, 2023 Apr 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Features:

Greetings all,

Updates for Adobe Photography products have been released.  The April 2023 updates have implemented this feature request.

If you do not see the update in your Creative Cloud Application, you can refresh it by hitting [Ctrl/Cmd]+[Alt/Opt]+[ R ].

Note: It may take up to 24 hours for your update to be available in your Creative Cloud app.

Thank you for your patience.

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products
Status Released

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 19, 2023 Apr 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm so happy to finally see this feature finally announced! I realize this is probably not going to be a standout headline feature for some people, but as a working professional who relies on the flexibility of working with smart objects on a daily basis, this feature alone will save me a significant amount of time in my post production workflow. Thank you Adobe! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 20, 2023 Apr 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This feature you speak of - Open multiple photos as smart objects in photoshop layers does not seem to be working.  I am very familiar with the process and it is not working on my version of MAC  LR 12.3.  Is there some secret to getting it to work.  Seems status quo to me right now...now working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm going to also assume that you updated Photoshop as well? I just tested this feature and it is working for me. I'm using an M1 Ultra Mac Studio. You should be able to select multiple files in LR, right click and choose Edit In > Open as Smart Object Layers in Photoshop. After that, your all of the selected images should be loaded into a single Photsohop document as Smart Objects. If it's still not working, maybe try reaching out to Adobe support. But I just tested it on my Mac and can confirm that it's working for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Really weird. PS and LR updated. I even restarted my MAC (M1 14" MacBook
Pro). Still not working. I mean I can just combine them manually. It is
a feature I use very seldom. But it would be nice if it worked.

Thought it would be good to open a RAW and DNG (run thru the new Denoise)
and mask in the areas I want cleaned up.

Thanks for the check.

Mick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mick,

Yeah you can combine them manually for sure. I've done that for years, and it sucks. Especially when you have a ton of images that you want to open in the same Photoshop document all as smart objects. That's really weird though, I have no idea why the feature wouldn't be properly working for you....It's probably some checkbox or permission issue with MacOS or something. I'd reach out to Adobe support. Or perhaps someone else in this forum might have an answer.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What OS are you using? Maybe try to update if you are not on the latest.
This feature works for me as well.

--

*Mike Wardynski Photography*
*WWW.WARDYNSKIPHOTO.COM <>*
*989 324 0181*

* <>
<>
<>
<>*

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Oct 10, 2023 Oct 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I had the same issue using latest versions of Lightroom and Photoshop (as of 10.10.23). If you select edit from the top menu bar then only the first selected lightroom image appears in photoshop. However if you right click (or control key on my mac) and choose 'edit in' then get all the selected images from lightroom appearing in photoshop.

In both cases selecting the 'open as smart object layers in photoshop' option within the 'edit in' menu.

Happy days!

Votes

Translate

Translate