Please add layflat paper offered by Blurb in LR module. Thanks

Idea Released
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Aug 22, 2018 Aug 22, 2018
Lightroom 7.5 was released today with Book Module enhancements including the new Blurb Lay-Flat design option. Give it a spin!

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 110 Replies 110
110 Comments
New Here ,
Nov 13, 2017 Nov 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But wouldn't magazine and trade book be more than just photos and thus not the typical LR model?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But it's possible to include photo  to create a photo zine...I think...
robert

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay and thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 17, 2017 Nov 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please add the layflat option to LR!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you add Blurb Layflat Photobook Support in Lightroom Classic please. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes please

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 18, 2017 Nov 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI,
It would be nice if we can create the new lay flat books from blurb directly in Lightroom.
This can use the same templates, though adding some extra lay-outs for the lay flat books would be appreciated (2 side spread pages).

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 18, 2017 Nov 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Had a very unpleasant surprise when I discovered that features available in Blurb are not supported in LR Classic CC. May have to switch book making software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 23, 2017 Nov 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Blurb support redirect me on Lightroom Request too. It would be really lovely to have lay flat support in LR! Please add this option 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 28, 2017 Nov 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How is this not a thing? Come on, Adobe, and update LR for the new paper. Two-page spreads already exists, so this should not be a challenge.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great response. In genera, there’s a feeling of neglect IMHO around the Book module.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indeed, Adobe has invested little in the book module since it was first released. Going forward, Victoria Bampton (Lightroom Queen) wrote, "Future development of Lightroom Classic is being refocused on improving performance and enhancing the editing tools."  So the minimal focus on fixing bugs and improving features (other than in Develop) over the past many years will be even more reduced. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Nov 30, 2017 Nov 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps Blurb can add this option to their 'Order' interface when ordering a book.
You can already change paper and end sheet in the ordering process.
Blurb offered me "Lay Flat" for reprints of a book I already had printed, so it's up to Blurb I think.
Nothing needs to change in the Lr Book Module. Double-page spreads are still Double-page spreads in Lay-Flat. (Layflat paper page limits are between 20-110 pages.)

Blurb Quote:
Photo books just got an upgrade! Photo books with Layflat paper make great gifts for holidays, anniversaries, weddings, or any other special occasion. Layflat paper allows images to spread across a two-page spread, allowing your images to take center stage and make a bigger impact.  Now, I know what you might be thinking, “I already made this book, I don’t have time to recreate it,” which is where the best part comes in: You can easily reorder any of your existing photo books with the Layflat paper option.
Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 30, 2017 Nov 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, your second sentence is incorrect, with respect to initially creating the book in LR and uploading directly to Blurb.  If one chooses  Premium Matte or  Lustre, those remain the only options when finalizing the  -initial- order on Blurb. If one chooses a ProLine option, the choice is restricted to  uncoated or pearl.

Nowhere does layflat become an option at initial order time. Yes, I just tried this out.

And while reodering may provide this option, as long as it's not an option at initial order time there remains a problem that Adobe and Blurb together need to fix. But my money's on Adobe because they're going to need to present the option to the user, and handle related details.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 01, 2017 Dec 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It may be possible to select the Layflat paper option using the LR Book module's PDF Export function. This creates two PDFs (Cover & Pages), which can be manually uploaded to your Blurb account using 'PDF To Book' on Blurb's website . For more information scroll down to 'For existing books made with PDF Uploader' in this Blurb article on 'Reordering an Existing Photo Book with Layflat Paper.'

http://www.blurb.com/blog/how-to-reorder-in-layflat/

Layflat books are limited to 20-110 pages maximum so keep that in mind. Blurb also says, "Carefully inspect the preview, as the Cover may need to be re-sized and elements may move slightly. If you decide to create a new Cover PDF for your book with layflat paper, see our Specifications Page to get exact dimensions."

It appears the cover PDF is the only part of the book layout that requires modification. This is due to the thicker Layflat double-pages, which increases the width of the binding. If your cover and pages look OK in the Blurb online preview then you should see that results in the printed Layflat book copy. If not you can try modifying the book cover layout inside LR, upload the revised PDFs and check the preview again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Dec 01, 2017 Dec 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Todd and Gary for your comments.
I have never sent any of my books to Blurb with PDF uploader, I always [Send to Blurb] from the Lightroom Book module interface. (Does this achieve the same result?)
The fact that Blurb offered (in an email) to print my "Existing Book" as LayFlat led me to believe that it might be possible for a simple option on the Blurb ordering page.
I could not see any reference to Layflat at- http://www.blurb.com/make/pdf_to_book/booksize_calculator#book-attributes
I look forward to Adobe making it a simple option in the Lr Book module.
Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 02, 2017 Dec 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That page is only helpful if you're using InDesign or Acrobat Pro, which allow editing the cover layout dimensions. For the LR Book cover PDF you will need to do this manually based on what you see in the uploaded PDF on Blurb's website. The wider binding when using layflat paper will cause placed photos and text on the cover to shift slightly towards the binding. You can move these placed items slightly in the LR Book module if necessary, upload the revised PDF, and check the preview again on Blub's website. As I mentioned the cover may look fine without any changes depending on your cover layout.

Try uploading your LR Book PDFs at the Blurb 'PDF To Book' link, select the Layflat paper option, and check the cover preview.

http://www.blurb.com/pdf-to-book

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 09, 2017 Dec 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PLEASE make this a priority! I was so excited to see Blurb added the lay flat option! So excited, in fact, that I built my very first Blurb book in Lightroom two weeks ago only to find that I could not order lay flat? WTH? I couldn't believe it, after hours of laboring over getting my first, ever Blurb book via LR just right. So upset. I never thought LR wouldn't have been able to manage lay flat once Blurb thought of doing it, isn't there a partnership here? Thanks....frustrated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 10, 2017 Dec 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please add the Layflat option to the Book Module in Lightroom!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could Export your book to PDF and upload the PDF to Blurb.
Check that your cover design and page numbers conform to Blurb's requirements.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A few days ago, I read on Blurb's support area that doing this was not recommended from Lightroom to Blurb as the pdf file dimensions would be slightly off. Now that I have searched for it again on Blurb, it seems to mysteriously be missing, I will keep searching and share here if I find it. Thanks for the suggestion tho.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Dec 11, 2017 Dec 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's really important to read most or all of the comments above which already address the idea of exporting from LR to a PDF.

If LR doesn't understand that layout of the book, especially the cover, as well as how the pages join, then creating a PDF isn't adequate. No amount of "work around" is going to get you a good result.

So what Valerie points out (again) is (still) correct.

The only solution is to use the blurb tool. I just did this, excellent results, not difficult, other than having to collect and export my images as large, hi-res files. The end result was worth it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 13, 2017 Dec 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't waste your time on layflat layer. I just order one, the result is awful...
And I was really happy with the "usual" print option.
The layflat come from another printing company .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Dec 13, 2017 Dec 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mine was brilliant: vivid, exact color, robust paper, and a smooth cover. 

None of which matters as it's off-topic. This thread is about LR supporting a Blurb configuration, not whether we like the resulting product. And good or bad, it would be nice if the option were available.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 17, 2017 Dec 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just attempted this and still having the same issue. And received the same response from Blurb - Adobe is responsible for the Book module within Lightroom. Blurb will be working with Adobe to see if they will add support for Standard Layflat Paper. 

Votes

Translate

Translate