• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Respect Hierarchical Folders of Presets

LEGEND ,
Mar 09, 2016 Mar 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

5 years ago, poster Sean Phillips first suggested this idea. Adobe has officially marked it as "implemented" - however, it is not implemented. Preset subfolders are scanned by LR, however, directory structure is not respected beyond the first level.

This makes preset management kludgy and inefficient. Please correct this by simply allowing the LR preset hierarchy to reflect the subfolder structure in the LR develop preset folder tree.

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 19, 2018 Jun 19, 2018
Lightroom Classic CC 7.4 released earlier today and features more robust management of Profiles and Presets.  Here is some information regarding the new management tools: https://theblog.adobe.com/june-lightroom-cc-releases-preset-profile-synchronization/

Votes

Translate

Translate
86 Comments
Community Expert ,
Feb 27, 2021 Feb 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you used this method? It separates stuff out really well. And as you might remember, I'd been asking for this since before the feedback site even existed. 

Sean McCormack. Author of 'Essential Development 3'. Magazine Writer. Former Official Fuji X-Photographer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To be honest I hardly use presets anymore. I have about 5 that I use all the time and dozens of others that are still there from ancient times but that I never use. Thinking back on it that's probably because they were so hard to find for so long that I just stopped bothering...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And thinking about it I'm not even sure what you mean by "this method"?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Inside each preset is a line with 'Cluster' in it. Fill in the other side of this to create a dedicated section. 

Sean McCormack. Author of 'Essential Development 3'. Magazine Writer. Former Official Fuji X-Photographer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, OK. No I haven't done that myself, but the presets I have currently installed are clustered nicely. And if I remember correctly you still can't add more than one level of hierarchy with this. Is that right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Technically you've 3 levels there. The Cluster, the Preset Folder then the Preset. But the separation makes them immediately obvious, versus how they used to be on top on each other. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suppose. Still not how I would prefer it. File system hierarchy makes so much more sense to me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And the fact that clusters can only be added by editing the xmp boggles the mind.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With the change to XMP and the presets now being shared with Camera Raw, the ship on that has sailed. The current implementation is far better than what we had, but I feel enough people don't know about the mechanics of it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did check in Camera Raw, just in case it was available there, but no. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Sep 15, 2022 Sep 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Something I know many users have been requesting for several years now is a hierarchical folder structure for our presets. Yes, we know we can create folders to keep them in, but we need more than that. Many of us have hundreds or thousands of presets, and no real way to organize them. I don't think we'd necessarily need anything too deep (not I, personally) — even one more level would make an immense difference. 

Many places that sell presets often sell bundles with many collections. Ideally I would love to see something as simple as this:

• [Name of 1st preset company]
    • Collection 1
      • Preset 1.xmp
      • Preset 2.xmp
    • Collection 2
      • Preset 1.xmp
      • Preset 2.xmp
  • [Name of 2nd preset company]
    • Collection
      • etc...

Again, this would make a huge difference for many users. 

Votes

Translate

Translate