• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Sorting and filter in import dialog

Explorer ,
Jun 01, 2011 Jun 01, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I frequently work a job that requires JPGs on site and raw files for post the next day. I have to work fast and would like to be able to sort images on my card by file type, so I can quickly import the JPGs for immediate output to 4x6 proofs. A subsequent step is to copy the raw files to a separate folder for processing after the job is over.

Currently I'm directing LR's import dialog to look at the desktop that has no images, then sorting and selecting by file type in my OS file browser, and dragging the selected JPGS onto the LR dialog window, where their status is "checked". The raw files on the same card show as unselected/unchecked in the dialog window, interspersed with the selected JPG files. It's a little busy and hard to quickly see that I have all the desired files selected for import.

Could you just make a sort by "file type" option in the import dialog that would group and separate the JPGs from the raw files? Thanks... Tom Meyer

Idea Released
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
52 Comments
Community Expert ,
Jun 01, 2011 Jun 01, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This would have uses when doing quick shoots using raw/jpeg and need to get quick and dirty jpegs to see quickly and raw processing is too time consuming. Import jpegs and view, etc then import raws for detailed work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 13, 2012 Jun 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In "LR3 Import" I miss the possibiity to filer files (By example: "import only DNG") or a sort option (sort by file type)

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please... add to sort at import "sort by file type" or "sort by file extension".

I often shoot both raw and jpg because I have an immediate need for jpg when working on a laptop on a location shoot, but also need the raw files for further editing and use in different media. I'd like to be able to import just the jpgs to the laptop on location (for printing or to create low res proofs for the client), then import the raw files when I'm back at the studio for processing out for other media/purposes. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed, this would be a useful feature, for all the reasons stated above. There might be ramifications with the "RAW+JPEG" thing that need to be worked out, though.

My current workaround utilizes the camera -- save RAWs to one card and JPEGs to the 2nd card. Obviously, not all cameras (very few?) have this capability, so having it as a feature in LR would be beneficial.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have one camera (D300s) that has that feature, but my primary one, the D700, does not. Currently, you can tell LR to treat Raw and JPG as separate files, so at least there's an option to handle that already in place... is that what you meant? Thanks for your support, getting this added to the LR feature set is turning into a personal goal/hobby.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jul 25, 2012 Jul 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would also love to see that option added to sort choices. Another idea might be to allow you to only import the raw file (or only the jpeg file) of images that you have both with name name on the same card.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jul 25, 2012 Jul 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

uncheck all> sort by file type> select raw files> check selected> import, leave the jpgs on the card.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jul 26, 2012 Jul 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is not an option on my version of Lightroom (3.6)- that is the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right, that's the point of this thread/request....

My suggestion is the type of work flow that would be enabled by a simple sort "by file type", which is only available *after* you import, but not before. That simple omission, forces us to import twice as many files, verify the "Non-raw files were not converted to DNG" warning (that brings the preview generating to a screeching halt), and then delete all the JPGs from your HD, which clutters the drive, slows it down and necessitates early and more frequent cleanup and defragging.

Lightroom is supposed to enhance efficiency.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 10, 2012 Nov 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to see filter criteria for the import function in LightRoom. I would like to be able to limit what images show up for import in the center window based on file type and also file date criteria

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 10, 2012 Nov 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would love to be able to select either the RAW/DNG file OR the JPG file when importing into Lightroom. Since the files have the same name and only the extension differs they could be stacked in the import view and I could simply select 1 for RAW/DNG and 2 for JPG.

Seeing all of them separately makes me a sad panda.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Nov 14, 2012 Nov 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so even with a new Beta out, this issue is still not possible to address/resolve? Such a basic item, so valuable to anyone that shoots raw+jpg... sigh. I don't get it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Nov 15, 2012 Nov 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Be aware that new features are only usually considered for full .0 releases, so don't be too disappointed when it doesn't appear in further .x releases.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 16, 2012 Nov 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OttoImporter settings include which extensions should be imported.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Rob. Awaiting DNG approval.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All set! Please let me know if you have problems, or need help... -R.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 06, 2013 Jan 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

New camera (as an example: Canon EOS 5D Mark III) allows to rate pictures. Others sources (customers, partners, etc..) rates pictures as well.

Would it be possible to filter or sort picture from the rating in the import dialog.

Exemple: I do shooting on location, the client choose on the camera the wished picture. Back in studio I only import the selected pictures.

Discuss 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 06, 2013 Jan 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I find very usefull to add a functionality that allows to filter the images in the import dialog box by acquisition date, or by folders in the camera's memory. For example, if I did two separated shoot sequence with the same card inserted in a camera, from the camera settings I can set that some photos must be saved in one directory and other images in another folder. When I import images in Lightroom from the import dialog, I see all the images as a unique directory and than I must deselect the images that must be copied into the second folder, import the images related to the first folder and then repeat the procedure for the second folder.

Samuele

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 19, 2013 Apr 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like the others, I have often felt limited by the ability of the import window in LR4.

Because I do not always take my laptop when I travel, I can sometimes come home with a CF card full of thousands of images taken over several days in many different places. I won't be able to edit them in one sitting, so I want to be able to organize them so I can systematically whittle away at them.

I've wished for a long time that I could import things in batches. I'd love to be able to select all the photos from Zambia, name a new folder for them to be imported into, add specific keywords and develop settings to them, then add them to a queue. Then, without leaving the import window, I can do the same for the images from Zimbabwe, sending them to a different folder with different keywords, develop settings, metadata, and preview sizes. And so on. Then, I can hit Import, and let LR run while I go work on something else.

Trying to do all those things once the images are imported takes a much longer time. The alternative, importing one set of photos, then another, then another, isn't any better.

For what it's worth, I also think the ability to queue up batches would be helpful in the export dialog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 08, 2014 Jul 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Import filtering would be a huge help.

Lightroom has three core functions- import images, modify them, and export them. All three of those functions should allow great flexibility.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 30, 2016 Apr 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any update for Lightroom CC? Import filtering would significantly help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
May 20, 2016 May 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I shoot RAW+JPEG on my Fuji X-T1 because that is the only way to do a 100% focus check while shooting. My imports are then bottlenecked because I am forced to download the JPEGs from the card, which I immediately delete when the import is over. Would really love this corrected with proper sorting/filtering on import.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 21, 2016 May 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

good Preserve space and hear to your selected music video recording anytime you prefer. SnapTube iPhone Just lately you will miss enjoying the hottest videos, trailers, nice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
May 29, 2016 May 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A feature I would welcome very much since I shoot RAW + JPEG more and more to be able to get an immediate preview on a tablet or even via upload using a mobile device. RAW is possible, but way slower. The JPEGs aren't good enough for the ensuing process.
So, yes Adobe, please add something like filter or sort by filetype.

Votes

Translate

Translate