• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Store the xmp metadata outside DNG, jpeg etc file to be backup efficient

Community Beginner ,
Oct 08, 2014 Oct 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now a days we can it's very easy to backup datas on clouds , amazon, synology etc.But with lightroom and dnd, jpeg, etc the xmp metadata are stored inside the file and not outside like c2r, pef,nef raw file.So each time we modify a small things the whole big file is modified and need to be uploaded insteed of a small xml kilobyte file that are backup friendly. Upload terabyte on internet or local network contains errors and it's took a lot of time to checks backup.The actual solution is a monolitic outdated and ineffecient purpose.Please add this feature into our image favorite software.A simple workaround can be to place the xmp outside when the file is in write only to be fully non destructive.

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
90 Comments
LEGEND ,
Mar 07, 2022 Mar 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many people have asked for an option to use .xmp sidecars for non-raws instead of storing changes to metadata inside the files themselves:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/camera-raw-ideas/p-store-the-xmp-metadata-outside-dng-jpeg-etc-file-t...

Please add your constructive opinion to that feature request and be sure to click the Upvote button at the top-right and Follow at the bottom of the first post. That will make it a little more likely that Adobe will consider implementing the feature and you'll be notified when they do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
May 27, 2022 May 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Given the fact that ACR has this feature, (for DNGs) shouldn't the post be moved to the LrC features request forum?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 03, 2022 Dec 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This would be so helpful to backup metadata for JPG files without changing the original file. The edits being backed up as an XMP would be a great bonus, but I really just want metadata (tags, comments, copyright info etc.) being saved as an XMP for JPGs and DNGs. LR should have an option where ALL image files are treated as read only and never modified for any reason.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Dec 04, 2022 Dec 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What does happen when a JPEG is set to read only in the OS?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At Rahuldas stated  “LR should have an option where ALL image files are treated as read only and never modified for any reason.”

That how I use LrC, do not select “Automatically save Metadata to XMP” or use the menu option Save Metadata to file”, your work will be saved in the Catalog file.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am sorry @DdeGannes I should have been clearer.

I meant LR should never modify the original file while allowing us to save our metadata changes and edits as an XMP file alongside JPGs and DNGs as it does for RAWs. XMPs can be helpful for incremental backups, where image files never change and would also be helpful if in the future LR ceases to exist or we want to move to a different software. I do want to backup metadata outside the catalog, but I do not want LR to modify my image files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as I am aware Adobe has no control over how the jpeg files, which are a universally accepted function. Adobe’s XMP sidecars and DNG files are another matter.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Dec 05, 2022 Dec 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@rahuldas87 can you try duplicating a folder, with some jpegs, rename them in the OS to make sure you are not fooling yourself, set them to read-only. What does happen when it comes to metadata?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 05, 2022 Dec 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@PECourtejoie I tried doing this, and if you try to save metadata to read-only JPG files, LR just throws up an error saying files are read-only. You can still use the files and the catalog will save the metadata. Ideally if LR could save XMPs for read only files that would have been great as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 24, 2023 Jun 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. Very much so! I couldn't agree more. I use digital cameras since 1996 and I have many files I wouldn't want to be altered in any way. Nethertheless, I'd like to use keywords and stuff to organize them. XMP sidecars are the obvious solution. That Lightroom doesn't support this is one of the not-so-many serious flaws of a really great program.

XMPs for non-raws would of course also make sense (as already mentioned here) for efficiency of cloud synchronisation and as a general effort to keep original data as authentic as anyhow possible.

So, please, please add an option to write XMP metadata to sidecars for all filetypes - perhaps even for files already carrying XMP data. And a function to transfer (move) XMP data for (e.g.) all currently selected files from the image file to a sidecar would be the icing on the cake.

B.t.w.: Frome time to time, after some large-scale metadata updates across my library, I encouter damaged Jpegs. I don't care whether this is due to data transfer errors to or within my NAS or some serious bug in Lightroom. Fact is: Every time we write to a file, there is some probability for damages. So reducing that risc should be paramount, shouldn't it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 13, 2023 Aug 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I would like to prevent Lightroom to write to my existing image files, EVER. I dont not want my image files changed, I want to keep them original.
Instead, I only (!) want Lightroom to write to XML files. My files are different types of RAW files, DNG, TIFF, but also JPG, etc. 

How do I accomplish this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I would like to prevent Lightroom to write to my existing image files, EVER. I dont not want my image files changed, I want to keep them original."

LR doesn't have that option, unfortunately -- it's a fairly popular feature request:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-ideas/p-store-the-xmp-metadata-outside-dng-jpeg-etc... 

(Camera Raw provides that option for DNG files but not for other file types, such as JPEG and TIFF, whose industry standards support embedded XMP.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you very much Johnrellis, also for the follow up merge request and link.

Votes

Translate

Translate