• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Support hardware video decoding of new formats in playback

New Here ,
Nov 19, 2021 Nov 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom is my library software of choice. And while it can't edit videos in any meaningful way, it can preview them and play them back, and most imporantly provide library functionality in a way that makes it a truly useful tool for hybrid shooters.

Many shooters, like myself, are shooting in log formats with 10 bit 4:2:2 HEVC codecs. These play back using the CPU even when hardware decoding is available on 10th+ gen Intel QuickSync processors on Windows. This causes dropped frames, kills battery life, and generates a lot of heat. Using QuickSync inside of Davinci Resolve these files play back effortlessly.

I believe this is also the behavior on M1 Macs, but I have yet to be able to try that.

It'd be great if these were supported better, and generally it would be great to support video as a first class member in the library as it's very useful.

Thanks.

Idea No status
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
3 Comments
LEGEND ,
Nov 21, 2021 Nov 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[This post contains formatting and embedded images that don't appear in email. View the post in your Web browser.]

I agree that LR's support of video were better. But video has been LR's stepchild since it was introduced in LR 4.  

Over the years, LR video playback has often stuttered or been choppy on my higher-end laptops, so stopped trying to use LR to play it. Instead, I open the video in my favorite video app. An easy way to do that:

Select the video in Library and click the right-arrow next to the File Path field:

johnrellis_0-1637561400131.png

(Use LR 11's nifty new customization of Metadata panels to put that field in a convenient spot.) That will open File Explorer or Finder with the video selected. Double-click it to open the default video player.

Alternatively, use the Any File plugin's Open command to do the same thing with a single keystroke.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 22, 2021 Nov 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Suggestions for improvement do not belong here in the "Discussions" section of the Lightroom Classic community. We here in "Discussions" are not Adobe employees, we can't add features to the software.

You need to place your suggestion in the "Ideas" section of the Lightroom Classic community. Adobe does read, and does react, the suggestions placed in "Ideas".

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 22, 2021 Nov 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Moderators, @Rikk Flohr: Photography, please move to Ideas.

Votes

Translate

Translate