• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Support JPEG 2000 file format, please

LEGEND ,
Sep 05, 2014 Sep 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would love to see Lightroom support JPEG 2000 upon import and as an export format choice from RAW/TIF/JPG. JPEG 2000 is a great format for archiving large numbers of rendered still images in a lossless (or lossy) compressed manner. Lossless it is 1/3 the size on average of a comparable uncompressed TIF.

Idea Declined
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
42 Comments
Contributor ,
Sep 20, 2019 Sep 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Link?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, now that I'm in the larger thread I will expound. In the cultural heritage/archival imaging community where I work, JP2 is very widely used. It is the preferred format at my institution. Nearly all of our work is archived as JP2. This is several million files per year. Not planning on using Lightroom to create or edit the JP2s but it would be useful as a browser.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The previous reply above has the link.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"i wonder why the developer never decided to enable it to read and write and make it mac compatible."

The plugin says it enables LR to write metadata back to  JPEG2000 files. It can't export to JPEG2000 format, but there's at least one other plugin that can:

http://fnordware.blogspot.com/2012/10/magic-export-for-lightroom.html

I don't know how well it works.

As for Mac compatibility, the JPEG 2000 Reader plugin isn't really a Lightroom plugin.  Rather, it's a Windows program that sits between Lightroom and Windows, and it relies on features that are specific to Windows. I'm not even sure that Mac OS provides equivalent functionality.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 19, 2020 Apr 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use jpeg 2000 as the best compression method available in my film scanner software, Silverfast 8.  I just realized that the 250 frames I scanned cannot be opened in Lightroom (mac).  Can Adobe please come out of the dark ages and start supporting open standards???

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 19, 2020 Apr 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, JPG2000 is in the dark ages too.   HEIC is the new improved JPG replacement and is supported by Lr and some new cameras.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 21, 2020 Apr 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We're not really talking about a JPEG replacement here.  More an archival format option.

HEIC is an Apple-variant of HEIF that relies on HEVC encoding.  HEVC technology (which is good technically) is not open and is part of a complicated patent pool.  Both hardware and software vendors currently pay the patent holders to use the technology.  JPEG 2000 too was patented in its early days.  But most of its holders waived the right to impose royalties and license fees from the get-go.  In turn, JPEG 2000 can today be deployed with open source tools without limitation which better ensures its sustainability (and one's archived JPEG 2000 files) over the long run.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 21, 2020 Apr 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@robert the fact is JPEG 2000 is an open standard, and is still widely used by the latest versions of state-of-the-art image acquisition software.  The options I'm given are TIFF (which has lousy compression), PSD (which is not an open standard), and JP2 (which gives me the choice of lossy and lossless, and has great compression rates even compared to newer options).  I guess if Adobe is going to be hostile to my needs, I'll find another vendor!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 20, 2021 Jul 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop supports/saves jp2000 s; Lightroom should as well. Simple as that.

I don't need any editing functions, just to import and share them in a catalog.

Dang, i/Photo handles them, which we used as a pitiful substitute until the app no longer supported pdf.

jp2 is standard in most digital archives/libraries, so Lightroom support or a shareware plug-in would be much appreciated.  BTW: if you've never come across the format you're missing out on millions of high-res, copyright-free materials. Check out archive.org and you'll be advocating big time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First, we're not Adobe, we can't add features to the software. You have to submit a feature request to Adobe.

The philosophy I have heard people from Adobe talk about (in Adobe videos) is that Lightroom Classic is for photos that come out of a camera (and common derivative files like TIF), and I don't think jpeg2000 files come out of any camera on the market today. So if that's correct, there's really no chance of them adding jpeg2000 support.

Photoshop has always supported non-camera formats. Which is entirely a different philosophy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're curious enough, you can try this rather dated Windows only plugin (Jpeg2000 Reader for Adobe® Lightroom)

https://www.lightroom-plugins.com/JP2Index.php

I've never tried it so I've no idea if it works. If you do, let us know how it goes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Feb 24, 2022 Feb 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yea really baffling that Camera Raw doesnt accept .jp2 files. I use Adobe Bridge for file archiving and tagging and use Camera Raw within that and it'd be nice to use jp2 files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 10, 2023 May 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know there are many posts about this already, but since LR still has no JP2 support, I thought I'd write another one.

Adobe has noticed the reemergence of film photography, evident in their addition of FD lenses support for Camera Raw (I personally benefitted from this). Many film photographers have their entire archives saved in jp2 format, including myself. I just hope that Lightroom could support jp2 the same way that photoshop does, so I can incorporate my jp2 files into my LR catalogue. It's currently very painful to having to convert jp2s into TIFFs and it takes up much more space. It's also currently the only format that supports 16-bit colour depth and lossless compression.

I understand the argument that 'LR is an app designed for camera images, and no camera outputs jp2.' I just don't think it's a sound argument. 1. LR supports tiff files that rarely comes straight from cameras; 2. some scanners output jp2 files, which in this case effectively is 'straight out of camera'. I have shot some film with Silbersalz and their ultra-fine scanner outputs jp2. 

Even Digital Editions support jpeg2000! Adobe has the capability to support it, and make many film photographers' lives easier.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes and this is just the requst that the dev should finally do their homework..nothing exciting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jpg2000 needs just a much better name..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
May 11, 2023 May 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They do!

Check the date of the original request and how many Votes it has received since.

Original request September 2014 with 19 votes. Check https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic/ct-p/ct-lightroom-classic?page=1&sort=latest_replie... which was originally requested in December 2014 and has 168 votes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jan 04, 2024 Jan 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Please consider the now-supported JXL Format as it accomplishes the goals of the JPEG2000 file and more. 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products
Status Declined

Votes

Translate

Translate