• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Remembering Deleted Images from Previous Imports

Explorer ,
Oct 15, 2021 Oct 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An easy improvement for Lightroom 'Import' feature would be if it remembered images you had already imported and 'deleted from disc'. 

Currently your rejected images from pervious imports are detected as 'new images' when you put the memory card back in.

It would be a simple matter to keep the exif data from deleted photos (e.g. file size, camera, lens, date and time taken) in an 'already rejected' table in the database, then when they come up again on a memory card, Lightroom knows this file WAS imported but 'deleted from disc'. 

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
7 Comments
LEGEND ,
Oct 15, 2021 Oct 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will assume you do bot keep photos on an SD card forever. That this is during a short period of time, Perhaps during a Photo trip, or a Photo Shoot over a few days when you did some importing after the shoot, and did a bit if cutting out clutter.

For me, if these are absolutely non recoverable rejects, I would only remove them for now so that LrC does not bother me with them on later imports. I would just remove them, not delete them, until shooting during the trip/shoot/project was done, and  I was back at home/office, where upon, I would delete them, Make additional backups of the keepers, etc, and format in camera the SD cards.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Mar 23, 2022 Mar 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After I import photos I often delete many that are not anything I wish to keep / manage in LRC. However after deleting them, they show up the next time as new photos even though I have have checked "Don't import selected duplicates. Maintaining an MD5 or other checksum to recognize that what the photo is not in the catalog it was previously imported and deleted, so don't include it in the imports, would be very helpful. Yes, I could reformat the card but in the case of phone imports this is not something I want to do. I want to leave the photos on the phone but if I have deleted them on LRC, they should not show up again as candidates for import.

Thank you,

Harry

P.S. The "Topics help users find your post. Please select one or more topics." are nearly useless. For example in this case I use MacOS but I suspect the is a problem on Windows. I don't know. Why choose these tags. Better would be if "import dialog" was one of the options.

Harry

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I you delete image files that you have imported in LrC then LrC will have no way to recognize having imported them previously. Just a thought.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LRC could if it kept a fingerprint of the file. An MD5 checksum is a
signature that (nearly) identically distinguishes one file from another. If
LRC used something like this it would recognize that a file, though
deleted, had already been imported, and so should be ignored. I suspect
this should be made optional for those that prefer the existing behavior.

Harry

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, this is unique I have just responded to a thread in this forum where the user is advocating that it should be possible to for LrC to import multiple copies of one original image into a single Catalog.

Now you are suggesting the opposit i.e to deny import of an image file that has been previously imported but removed / deleted from the catalog.

If you feel strongly about your opinion it is possible to post a "idea" in the forum and encourage others to support.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 25, 2022 Mar 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Mar 26, 2022 Mar 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks. I thought I had submitted as an idea. Thanks to the moderator that merged with a the same request by another.

Also, there is a subtle but definite difference between my request and the other multi-import you note. 

Votes

Translate

Translate