• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Shortcut for "Open as Layers in Photoshop..."

Explorer ,
Sep 10, 2021 Sep 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use the "Open as Layers in Photoshop..." command often in my work. I deal with a high volume of product photos, and it would be great if I was able to have a shortcut for this command.  It would also be great if I could select a lot of photos and have them open as layers into seperate files based on the stacks. (not 1 photoshop file with all the layers, but instead several photoshop files, 1 for each stack)

It would be great to see these improvements in future versions. Thank you for considering.

Idea Released
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Apr 18, 2023 Apr 18, 2023

Note: KBSC for Open As Smart Object in Photoshop is now available.

Greetings all,

Updates for Adobe Photography products have been released.  The April 2023 updates have implemented this feature request. Please see the product for more details.

If you do not see the update in your Creative Cloud Application, you can refresh it by hitting [Ctrl/Cmd]+[Alt/Opt]+[ R ].

Note: It may take up to 24 hours for your update to be available in your Creative Cloud app.

Thank you for your patience.

Status Released

Votes

Translate

Translate
28 Comments
LEGEND ,
Sep 17, 2021 Sep 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While waiting for Adobe to implement this: On Mac, you can assign a keyboard shortcut to Open As Layers using System Preferences. On Windows, you could use the free and widely used Autohotkey utility.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Sep 19, 2021 Sep 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Following up on John's suggestion re using the Utility in macOS System Preferences you might find this tutorial helpful.

http://www.computer-darkroom.com/lr2_keyboard/lightroom-keyboard.htm

It was originally written back in the days of Lightroom 2, but was recently updated to include Big Sur screenshots

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Sep 28, 2021 Sep 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you both. Hopefully Adobe puts this into the app, but I will use these workarounds for now. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 16, 2023 Apr 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When will Adobe finally implement a shortcut to use "open in Photoshop as layers" in Lightroom???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Apr 18, 2023 Apr 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Note: KBSC for Open As Smart Object in Photoshop is now available.

Greetings all,

Updates for Adobe Photography products have been released.  The April 2023 updates have implemented this feature request. Please see the product for more details.

If you do not see the update in your Creative Cloud Application, you can refresh it by hitting [Ctrl/Cmd]+[Alt/Opt]+[ R ].

Note: It may take up to 24 hours for your update to be available in your Creative Cloud app.

Thank you for your patience.

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products
Status Released

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Rikk,
thank you for your information.
What is the keyboard shortcut in Lightroom to open images in Photoshop as layers???

Best regards,
Cora

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[Ctrl]+[Alt] +[ X ] on Windows

If you go to Photos>Edit in> It will show you the shortcut for your system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[This post contains formatting and embedded images that don't appear in email. View the post in your Web browser.]

@Rikk Flohr: Photography, LR 12.3 adds the shortcut Cmd Opt X / Ctrl Alt X for Open As Smart Object In Photoshop, not for Open As Layers In Photoshop (this feature request):

johnrellistest_0-1681827607876.png

There still isn't a shortcut for Open As Layers In Photoshop defined in TranslatedStrings, so I think this feature request should be unmarked as Released.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Updating status

Status Started

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rikk,
yes, please do all you can to finally implement a keyboard-shortcut in Lightroom CC, which is important for me and many colleagues, to open multiple images in Photoshop as layers. This would really improve our daily work.

Thank you in advance,
Cora

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 21, 2023 Apr 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since LrC 12.3 there is no way to launch "Open as Layers in Photoshop" function via the keyboard alt shortcut.

On Windows I could hit Alt + P and then "E" - for "Edit in" and then "OO" for "Open as Layers" option. (Alt + P E O O) Now the macros doesn't work anymore, since Adobe changed the position of the "Open as Layers in Photoshop" in menu. Now this shortcut activates "Open as samrt object in photoshop"

Please return the shortcut back, or make it available through Alt shortcut.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 22, 2023 Apr 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[This post contains formatting and embedded images that don't appear in email. View the post in your Web browser.]

"On Windows I could hit Alt + P and then "E" - for "Edit in" and then "OO" for "Open as Layers" option. (Alt + P E O O) Now the macros doesn't work anymore, since Adobe changed the position of the "Open as Layers in Photoshop" in menu."

The change in behavior was caused by LR 12.3 explicitly setting the command "Open as Smart Object in Photoshop..." to use O as the accelerator key.  Adobe hasn't paid much attention to getting good accelerator keys.

While waiting for Adobe to change this (which might never occur),  you can change the accelerator keys by editing the TranslatedStrings files. For example, to change the accelerator for "Open as Layers in Photoshop..." to L, add this exact line (including the quotes) to the TranslatedStrings file:

"$$$/AgEditExternally/MenuCommand/ContextMenu/openAsLayers=Open as &Layers in Photoshop..."

Now you can invoke the command by typing Alt P E L. 

Note that if you're running LR in another language, that line should have that language's translation for the command.

See here for the grotty details of editing TranslatedStrings:

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/custom-keyboard-shortcuts/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 02, 2023 May 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Additionally, using Windows 10 Lightroom Classic 12.3, the accelerator key (underline in menu) is now missing for "Open as Layers in Photoshop" in the "Photo >> Edit In" sub menu. This used to be "O" so that you could press "O" twice on your keyboard to get to that submenu item. The full shortcut was to press ALT+P, then E, then O and then O again. Also, the original request by the original poster is not addressed (to have a shortcut to open as layers in PS). The reply by Rikk Flohr Apr 18, 2023 addresses Smart Objects, not open as layers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 04, 2023 May 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I really want alt + PEOO back. Not a replacement. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
May 06, 2023 May 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found another way to shortcut "Open as Layers in Photoshop" on my Windows PC, sine Adobe eliminated the old way unfortunately. You can use Alt+P+E+↑+Enter.

That's Alt, P, E, Up Arrow, Enter. Works perfect and one less key than the old way of Alt+P+E+O+O

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for the typo, should have read "since" instead of "sine". Completely asinine that we can't edit our own replies!!!!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very Nice! I think I can get used to this. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 29, 2023 May 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Amazing that this works, but I'm wondering if you could help me a little extra. I'm trying to get your keyboard shortcut to work with MIDI2LR, but in that program I can only use 1 shortcut at a time. To use multiple shortcuts I need to add commands, but I don't see a way to add commands that would = Alt, P, E, Up Arrow, Enter   any suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I have no clue how to program your Midi for this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I'm trying to get your keyboard shortcut to work with MIDI2LR, but in that program I can only use 1 shortcut at a time. To use multiple shortcuts I need to add commands, but I don't see a way to add commands that would = Alt, P, E, Up Arrow, Enter"

A couple thoughts:

1. Post on the MIDI2LR discussion forum:

https://rsjaffe.github.io/MIDI2LR/ 

2. A Rube Goldberg approach: Use the free Autohotkey utility to assign a shortcut to the Open As Layers In Photoshop menu item.  Then configure MIDI2LR to send that single keystroke.  Autohotkey is widely used and robust but more than a little obscure. You could download a trial copy of the Copy Settings plugin and model your Autohotkey config based on the file Copy-Settings-Keyboard-Shortcut.ahk  in the Copy Settings plugin folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 14, 2023 Jun 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LR 12.3 screwed up my macro to open as layers in PS. That macro was still not working in 12.4

I have created a new macro in my Wacom tablet "ExpressKey settings". See the attached screen shot.Wacom macro LR to PS as layers LR for 12.4.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 01, 2023 Jul 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Dec 04, 2023 Dec 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use my little Koolertron keyboard for programming macros like this - easy to program in the sequence Alt+P, E, up arrow, Enter. One click per stack, and they open as layers in PS like a charm!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 14, 2024 Jan 14, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to focus stack images using LR and PS, according to tutorials on Adobe website.

I have the Adobe Photography subscription with LR and PS. I just updated my LR. I work on a MacBook with Ventura operating system.

Viewing my photo grid in LR,  a single photo will give me the option to edit in Photoshop, but if I select more than one photo, that option is greyed out. I cannot find any option to open as layers in Photoshop. 

Is this feature still missing? Is there a workaround?

Thank you for any assistance. This is terribly frustrating.

Sherry

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jan 14, 2024 Jan 14, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's in the Photo> Edit In.. menu down the bottom of the menu.

Sean McCormack. Author of 'Essential Development 3'. Magazine Writer. Former Official Fuji X-Photographer.

Votes

Translate

Translate