• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Tuning an Intel Processor for LrC

Participant ,
Jun 23, 2022 Jun 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a new PC with an Intel i7 processor with a integrated UHD Graphics 770.  Intel provides a free downloadable "Intel Extreme Tuning Utility".  It has powerful tuning tools way beyond my capabilities.  It has an "App-Profile Pairing" tool that allows one to link a particular tuning profile to an app.  I'm not particularly in need of extra performance but I'd like to the boost the performance of the GPU if possible, to speed up "Super Resolution".  I don't want to have to buy a separate GPU card. 
It would be nice if Adobe could come up with an appropriate tuning profile that might give Intel users a very useful boost... for free.  I realise this is a tall order that would have to be tailored for every processor/RAM combination but there may be something simple that would work with most new systems at least.  

Idea No status
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
10 Comments
Community Expert ,
Jun 24, 2022 Jun 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom does not support CPU internal graphics cards. This "cards" are not powerful enough. 

It's highly recommend to invest in an external graphic card to work with LR smoothly.

Adobe Lightroom Classic GPU FAQ

My System: Intel i7-8700K - 64GB RAM - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060 - Windows 10 Pro 22H2 -- LR-Classic 13.2 - Photoshop 25.6 - Nik Collection 6.9 - PureRAW 4 - Topaz Photo AI 2

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is your computer a laptop? Sounds like it is. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, it's an ATX sized PC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, the i7 12700K with integrated graphics runs LrC perfectly well.  I built the PC with the intension of avoiding the need for a noisy power hungry GPU card.  I'm not a gamer.  I think the future will be greater use of integrated graphics, largely driven by the increasing power of laptops.  LrC does indeed use the integrated graphics but only for Super Resolution.  It will super res a 20MP file in 12 seconds.  That's plenty quick enough for me.  If in time more features are added slowing the machine, I can easily add more RAM and/or upgrade to an i9 processor.
I only posed the suggestion because it seems a shame not to extract the max. performance if it's as easy as it seems to tailor an Intel chip profile specifically to LrC.  It's no biggy... yet, I understand you have higher priorities.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bob!

For most day to day functions, you are right. The integrated graphics will do great and Lightroom doesn't need much of GPU anyways. I have my laptop with no dedicated gpu and even photoshop is fine for getting many lesser involved tasks done no problem. But the integrated CPU graphics is still a much lesser component then a GPU of the same age for what the GPU specializes in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Jul 02, 2022 Jul 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a shame LrC doesn't take advatage of integrated GPUs.  I'm not a gamer.  I don't want to have to spend $500+ for a power hungry, noisy GPU card that will do little most of the time.  Really, I don't have a performance issue at all.  I'm just disapointed that Adobe doesn't take full advatage of my graphics hardware.
I have an old HP laptop running Lr (cloudy) quite well.  It has an 8th Gen Intel i5, 8GB, UHD Graphics 620 (integrated).  In Edit>Preferences>Performance>Custom. it reports "Full graphics acceleration is enabled".
My newly built PC run LrC exceptionally well.  It has a 12th Gen Intel i7, 33GB, UHF Graphics 770 (integrated).  In Edit>Prederences>Performance>Custom, it reports "Limited graphics acceleration is enabled".
Why is it that with an integrated GPU four generations more advances, I now have only "limited" graphics acceleation?
Is it somthing I've done or has Adobe not caught up with the latest hardware technology?  I don't mean that negatively.  I would just like to know if I can expect a future LrC update to take full advantage on Intel 12th Gen CPUs. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jul 04, 2022 Jul 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

'Limited graphics acceleration is enabled' means that your system doesn't meet the minimum memory requirements for the recently intoduced GPU accelerated 'export' feature. The minimum memory being 16GB when GPU is using shared memory. However, you 'may' find that choosing 'Custom' and checking the box for 'Use GPU for image processing...', which is the setting that enables 'Super Resolution' and 'Raw Details', does work. If it doesn't work, then your GPU simply does not have the required capability (i.e. AI / Machine Learning).

Untitled-2.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From what I have observed, to have full GPU support you need to have a dedicated graphics card that meets the specifications. I know, that is a very broad and unclear statement. I had an old HP Pavilion desktop computer with integrated graphics. It took nearly 8 minutes to complete a super resolution cycle on that machine. I have since purchased a new computer with 16 GB RAM, still integrated graphics but upgraded, still  an HP Pavilion class computer. LrC indicates limited GPU support. Super resolution time is reduced to under one minute. But I'm on a limited budget and I'm not going to invest in the dedicated graphics card. Eight minutes reduced to less than one minute is good enough for me. I'm not going to stress over the time difference. Yes, I could get better performance if I was willing to pay for it. But I'm not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@JP Hess 

If you look at the screenshot I included in my earlier reply you'll see that I've checked the box labelled 'Use GPU for image processing (Process Version 5 or higher)'. In addition to the specified minimum memory, this is the setting that your GPU must support if 'Raw Details' and 'Enhanced Resolution' are to benifit from the GPU.

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/lightroom-gpu-faq.html#gpu-for-display

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It doesn't matter if one uses Auto or clicks the box in Custom, the Intel integrated graphics does Super Resolution just the same.
My point is that I'm not sure that Adobe is across the power of Intel 12th Gen processors.

Votes

Translate

Translate