Highlighted

1:1 previews taking FOREVER to load on a RAID 0 SSD Array on a fast computer for the last few months

New Here ,
Sep 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

***when I say load, I am talking the time it takes to hit the right arrow, the picture comes up instantly, but the image is taking about 4 seconds to hit that sharp level while displaying "loading" at the bottom***

Okay, I know Lr is a meme with how slow it is, but this is something different entirely.  I would call myself an advanced Lr user with advanced computer knowledge.  My setup:

I import photos to a raid array of HDDs, but I place my catalogue AND 1:1 previews on a striped volume on two SSDs.  On top of that, I have a 10GB raw image buffer on this SSD array as well.  The drives are wicked fast, period.

I also have 32GB of ram and a GTX980 super clocked that is activated in Lr.

When I import it takes FOREVER, but this is normal and I am fine with it.

Now I am in library.  Everything is imported, and I should just be looking at my 1:1 previews on my raid 0 SSD array that is wicked fast, but literally each photo is taking 4+ seconds to load.  It used to be as soon as I would hit the next pic, instant preview (that is the only reason to generate 1:1's, if it is not educate me).  This has been happening for months now.  It is so slow reaching that 1:1 preview/sharpness.  My CPU not being loaded at all, the RAM never exceeds 10GB and my SSDs are moving at light speed.  I cannot find the bottleneck.

It is nothing for me to go take 2000+ images in one day, and now it is taking me literally 4 times as long to cull for sharpness.  Anyone know what I can try next?

I am only talking about Library module, not dev. I know dev pulls the full image from storage and does not use the 1:1.  This should be slow and I understand why.

I am a CC user, with auto updates, so I am fully updated with the latest version on Lr CC 100%.

Thank you so much for your time!

TOPICS
Crash or freeze, Performance, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

1:1 previews taking FOREVER to load on a RAID 0 SSD Array on a fast computer for the last few months

New Here ,
Sep 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

***when I say load, I am talking the time it takes to hit the right arrow, the picture comes up instantly, but the image is taking about 4 seconds to hit that sharp level while displaying "loading" at the bottom***

Okay, I know Lr is a meme with how slow it is, but this is something different entirely.  I would call myself an advanced Lr user with advanced computer knowledge.  My setup:

I import photos to a raid array of HDDs, but I place my catalogue AND 1:1 previews on a striped volume on two SSDs.  On top of that, I have a 10GB raw image buffer on this SSD array as well.  The drives are wicked fast, period.

I also have 32GB of ram and a GTX980 super clocked that is activated in Lr.

When I import it takes FOREVER, but this is normal and I am fine with it.

Now I am in library.  Everything is imported, and I should just be looking at my 1:1 previews on my raid 0 SSD array that is wicked fast, but literally each photo is taking 4+ seconds to load.  It used to be as soon as I would hit the next pic, instant preview (that is the only reason to generate 1:1's, if it is not educate me).  This has been happening for months now.  It is so slow reaching that 1:1 preview/sharpness.  My CPU not being loaded at all, the RAM never exceeds 10GB and my SSDs are moving at light speed.  I cannot find the bottleneck.

It is nothing for me to go take 2000+ images in one day, and now it is taking me literally 4 times as long to cull for sharpness.  Anyone know what I can try next?

I am only talking about Library module, not dev. I know dev pulls the full image from storage and does not use the 1:1.  This should be slow and I understand why.

I am a CC user, with auto updates, so I am fully updated with the latest version on Lr CC 100%.

Thank you so much for your time!

TOPICS
Crash or freeze, Performance, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Sep 29, 2020 0
LEGEND ,
Sep 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Loading previews from a RAID disk is slow — the first thing that comes to mind is that there is some sort of network bottleneck or hardware malfunction.

May I ask why the previews are on the RAID disk rather than on an internal hard disk or internal SSD?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 29, 2020 0
dj_paige LATEST
LEGEND ,
Sep 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another possibility is that your virus checker is now scanning the photos files, causing the slow loading.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 29, 2020 0