Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

16-bit DNG

Community Beginner ,
May 09, 2020 May 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,
When I convert a 14-bit RAW files from Camera into a DNG the created file is only 8-bit. Lightroom offers this possibility for importing photos and also creates a DNG for HDR (which is also only 8-bit). Is there a way to get higher bit depth for DNG files?

Thanks for your help.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 09, 2020 May 09, 2020

Most likely you are looking at the properties of the embedded JPEG preview, not at the properties of the DNG data. DNG made from converted RAW files are 16 bits, and DNG made from Merge to HDR are 16 bits floating point.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What makes you think that these DNG files are 8 bits?

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I look at the properties of the file stored on the hard disk.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most likely you are looking at the properties of the embedded JPEG preview, not at the properties of the DNG data. DNG made from converted RAW files are 16 bits, and DNG made from Merge to HDR are 16 bits floating point.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That could indeed be possible, since I get the information of the bit depth from the "image" section in the property/details panel (windows10). And I would also like it being that way 🙂

Happy to know that DNG are 16-bit. Couldn't find anything about it elsewhere. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows Explorer cannot display the raw image data. It can only display the JPEG preview. The same is true for original raw images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 29, 2022 Oct 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

They are 8 bit files when opened in photoshop and saved as photoshop files.
I also find them difficult to manipulate once opened, for instance changing image size, making adjustments etc.
I find it much easier to convert the raw file to a tiff then use that, even though it takes longer to convert and the files are much larger.
Why am I answering two and a half years after your post? - My (very expensive) Epson printer can only use drivers up to windows 7, up to a year ago Adode ps worked on windows 10 and windows 7 then they removed the windows 7 support - they won't even let people use it. Nikon only provide software for operating system later than windows 7, so I have to use my windows 10 laptop to open my Nikon files, convert them, edit in ps on windows 7 on my pc then I can print them.
For some strange reason (let me guess - money!) the camera makers, printer makers and Adobe seem to think we have all the money in the world and can update cameras, computers and printers on a regular basis.
What they've actually done is make the whole process of taking a photo and getting a print out of it much more difficult and have succeeded in taking all the enjoyment out of photography.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines