Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

16-bit printing with Lightroom Classic on Windows10

Community Beginner ,
Feb 29, 2020 Feb 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Does the latest version of Lightroom Classic support 16-bit printing on Windows10? I don't see a checkbox as some versions under MacOS do have and haven't found any post on this topic for a while.

I have an Epson Surecolor P600 and according to Epson support it allows 16-bit printing, but my prints from Lightroom look as if they were 8bit only...

Thanks in advance

--

Thomas

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

16-bit printing is Mac only.

You might also find this page from Help is a useful resource https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/help/print-job-options-settings.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as I know, no Windows print drivers support 16-bit printing, but some print drivers for Mac do.

According to this thread on DPreview, there is no difference whatsoever between an 8-bit and a 16-bit print.

I'm guessing that the reason is that printers are not able to distinguish the  65,536 levels per channel.

You can't distinguish them on screen either, but they provide editing headroom, which is the purpose of 16-bit.

So if you're not happy with your prints, it's not because they're printed from 8-bit files, there has to be some other reason.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 01, 2020 Mar 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

"my prints from Lightroom look as if they were 8bit only"

The only theoretical advantage of higher bit depth is to eliminate banding and posterization. That's critical in some stages of the process, like editing and display, less so at the print stage. Do you see banding?

That said, it's 2020 and in principle, there's no particular reason we should have to settle for 8 bit processing anywhere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines