• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

A little confused about color spaces

Community Beginner ,
Nov 11, 2020 Nov 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a bit confused about the use of color spaces in Lightroom Classic. I photograph in RAW  (Adobe RGB 1998), import images into Lightroom which uses Prophoto RGB, edit images, export images for printing at photolab in sRGB. 

Essentially I'm converting between 3 color spaces; how will this affect my final images? I'm using a calibrated monitor also. 

I'm having issues with high contrast night scenes when they are printed despite using the printer profile for the printer (Fujicolor).

Any suggestions??

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A raw image doesn't have a color space because it is a raw image. Shooting in Adobe RGB really has no effect over any other setting. If the lab you are using has a printing profile available that you can download to use for soft proofing that would be your best bet, in my opinion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Raw files are greyscale files, and do not have a color profile.

But they do contain color information, and the colors are added in the rendering process. This happens to a new file, rendered from the raw file. The first new file is the preview you see on screen in Lightroom, and when you export, another new file is created. The raw file always remains untouched.

So exporting in for instance sRGB has no ill effect on the image.

As Jim suggests, you can soft proof with the printer profile in Lightroom. 

The sRGB/Adobe RGB choice in the camera only applies to jpgs, and that includes the embedded jpg preview in the raw file, as well as the image you see on the camera monitor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines