• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: search the IPTC Extension fields

Explorer ,
Sep 09, 2018 Sep 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you perform a Lr search against "All Searchable Metadata" it appears to only search within the IPTC Core fields. Is it possible to search within the IPTC Extension fields?

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
19 Comments
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

when you are in the metadata search field, did you click one of the labels? This is what I found:LightroomScreenSnapz001.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lr doesn't provide built-in any way to search the IPTC Extension fields - they aren't included in Any Searchable Metadata.

My Search and Replace plugin can do so, and I think John Ellis's Any Filter can too. Possibly one from Jeffrey Friedl.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Those are not the IPTC Extension fields.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Awesome, thank you very much. I will checkout those plugins.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John Beardsworth's plug ins and Jeffrey Friedl's plug ins have always solved numerous LR missing features!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 25, 2020 Dec 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to create multiple (unknown quantity) sets of "Artwork or Object" blocks inside the IPTC Extension Data for my images, and then access this data from within a Lightroom Collection Set. I plan on creating the data by hand in Bridge, so that's a no-brainer. But how would I go about performing such access within a Collection rule?

Thanks in advance!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 26, 2020 Dec 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can't, unforutnately -- LR doesn't provide any mechanism to search IPTC Extension fields.  The best you can do is to use the Any Filter plugin, which isn't as convenient as smart collections.

[Use the blue reply button under the first post to ensure replies sort properly.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 06, 2021 Jan 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this was discussed a long time ago, but I finally bought a new iMac where I have known for a long time that I cannot use MEDIA PRO database management software on this system.  It's the reason I have been holding back for so long, as I use Media Pro religiously and have over a million assets with metadata throughout..  One of my most commonly used Metadata fields is "PEOPLE" in Media Pro, but since it's not an official IPTC field, it does not have a parallen in LR. HOWEVER, the entries in the PEOPLE field do show up under Lightroom's IPTC Extension area as "Person Shown" But it is NOT a searchable field eventhough Lightroom has a search tab for ALL METADATA.

It is most infuriating that the Lightroom engineers cannot simply make that field (and the EVENT Field) searchable..  PLEASE!!

There are workarounds, but they are so inelegant and it would take me several weeks to execute the whole archive. (using a plug in in Media Pro to copy or move the People entries into Keywords, etc.).   Again, I imagine it could be so easy for Adobe to just make Person Shown and Event searchable, and can't figure out why they have failed to do that.  Media Pro is defunct and cannot pose any competitive danger to Bridge or Ligthtroom

{Moved from Lightroom Cloud to Lightroom Classic Forum by Moderator} 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 05, 2024 Mar 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't understand why Persons Shown is not a searchable metadata field when filtering. For privacy purposes I only put the names of the people in the photo in the "Persons Shown" field. So wouldn't it make sense to be able to search for people's names using that field when filtering?

Am I missing something?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[This post contains formatting and embedded images that don't appear in email. View the post in your Web browser.]

Unfortunately, Adobe inexplicably never made any of the IPTC Extension fields searchable. I think it's very unlikely at this point they ever will.

You'll have to use the Any Filter or Search Replace Transfer plugins.

johnrellis_0-1709699147789.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Mar 06, 2024 Mar 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So far as privacy: if you employed standard Person keywords in your own workflow within the Catalog - would it not be sufficient to then set Export / Publish to exclude that Person (as well as Location) related metadata from your outputs?

Perhaps you already do so, to keep back your entry into Persons Shown from being publicised.

I just feel person keywords give you granular (nestable) selectivity that simple text entry does not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm glad you brought that up as I actually have another ticket going with Adobe right now because that function is not working for me (Remove Person Info).

When I export an image that has data in the Persons Shown field and I have checked "Remove Person Info" during export, it still includes it! I check it by opening the jpg in Preview on Mac and opening the inspector to check the metadata. Without fail the Persons Shown info always comes through. The only time it doesn't is when selecting "Copyright Only" or "Copyright and Contact Info Only."

I'm curious if you can also reproduce this issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may need to go outside Lightroom to fix these problems. A script (Lua in Lightroom, Extendscript in Bridge) or EXIFTool could handle metadata removal or copying from namespace to namespace.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@anthonyt75438563, "have another ticket going with Adobe right now because that function is not working for me (Remove Person Info)."

Remove Person Info will remove the IPTC Extension > Person Shown field only if the photo has a face rectangle that's been assigned a name (not necessarily the name shown in Person Shown).

Remove Person Info has a sordid history. Originally, it would remove a keyword with the Person attribute only if that keyword was assigned to a face rectangle. Adobe said that was "by design" and thus not a bug:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-ideas/lightroom-classic-keywords-with-person-attrib... 

But sometime in the following three years, they silently changed the behavior, and since LR 9.2.1 Remove Person Info always removes all Person keywords.  

I think it's likely the current behavior of Remove Person Info with respect to Person Shown is an accidental holdover from the original behavior prior to LR 9.2.1.

When you say you "have a ticket going", do you mean you're working with Adobe Support?  I recommend that you abandon that and file a bug report here:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-bugs/how-do-i-write-a-bug-report/idi-p/12386373

Adobe Support has a reputation for giving random answers to anything but the most common problems and for saying anything to close out a call. Whereas bug reports filed here are much more likely to get an authoritative answer from the product team (though maybe not the answer you want to hear), and being filed here, they're visible to others experiencing the same problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Mar 07, 2024 Mar 07, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Intuitively, I feel that contents of the "Persons Shown" metadata - as well as other metadata -  ought to be suppressible at will. But this is all outside of my own usage.

I was wondering if discrete "Person" keywords could be a better approach  instead of typing text into "Persons Shown". Not least, those AFAIK are reliably blockable from export.

There are wider practical advantages. For example, if you later discover that "Ted Thompson" should be "Ted Thomson", that's a 2-second correction to one centralised keyword: vs a widespread find-and-replace through all of the affected photos' individual "Persons Shown" text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 07, 2024 Mar 07, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Moderators, @Rikk Flohr: Photography, please move this thread back to Ideas. Looks like the first premerged post was in Discussions--sorry about that.

Votes

Translate

Translate