Highlighted

ACR in PS rather than Develop Module in LR

Community Beginner ,
Jun 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With the new version of ACR released last week I have decided that I would much prefer to use that as my raw processor rather than the develop module in LR. However if I open a raw file for editing in PS from LR, which is what I wish to do, it goes to the "normal" PS workspace as opposed to ACR. I'm assuming this is because LR automatically applies "corrections" to any raw file. 

Whilst I can open ACR from PS as a filter or smart filter I have seen several articles/videos suggesting that this is not as good in terms of quality of the raw processing compared to opening the file from Bridge or OS which takes you directly to ACR.

Is this actually true?

If so is there any way I can setup LR/PS such that if I open a raw file for edit from LR it goes to full ACR, thereafter into PS once raw processing is finished, rather than PS direct?

I know that some will say that the LR develop module gives good results which is of course true. However it is a question of my preferred workflow and especially with the new ACR UI which I much prefer to the LR develop module. The key requirement is that by basing everything around the LR Library module I get automatic version stacking and a unified workflow with PS whilst having the excellent collections/smart collections/collection sets and general DAM features which I much prefer to Bridge. 

If this is not possible, which I'm fairly confident it isn't, can this new a feature request? 

cheers

Grumpy Hec

TOPICS
Feature request, How to, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

ACR in PS rather than Develop Module in LR

Community Beginner ,
Jun 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With the new version of ACR released last week I have decided that I would much prefer to use that as my raw processor rather than the develop module in LR. However if I open a raw file for editing in PS from LR, which is what I wish to do, it goes to the "normal" PS workspace as opposed to ACR. I'm assuming this is because LR automatically applies "corrections" to any raw file. 

Whilst I can open ACR from PS as a filter or smart filter I have seen several articles/videos suggesting that this is not as good in terms of quality of the raw processing compared to opening the file from Bridge or OS which takes you directly to ACR.

Is this actually true?

If so is there any way I can setup LR/PS such that if I open a raw file for edit from LR it goes to full ACR, thereafter into PS once raw processing is finished, rather than PS direct?

I know that some will say that the LR develop module gives good results which is of course true. However it is a question of my preferred workflow and especially with the new ACR UI which I much prefer to the LR develop module. The key requirement is that by basing everything around the LR Library module I get automatic version stacking and a unified workflow with PS whilst having the excellent collections/smart collections/collection sets and general DAM features which I much prefer to Bridge. 

If this is not possible, which I'm fairly confident it isn't, can this new a feature request? 

cheers

Grumpy Hec

TOPICS
Feature request, How to, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jun 20, 2020 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Jun 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[This post contains embedded images that don't appear in email. View the post in your Web browser to see the images.]

I think you understand this, but just to verify: ACR and LR Develop provide exactly the same editing controls and yield the same image quality. They have different user interfaces for the same functionality using the same underlying Camera Raw engine.

But if you want to invoke ACR / PS on a raw file in a LR catalog: In Windows File Explorer set the default app for opening your raw file's extension (e.g. .nef) to be Photoshop. Then to invoke ACR from LR, in LR right-click the raw file and do Show In Explorer. Then in File Explorer, double-click the raw file. Once you click Done in ACR, go back to LR. The photo's metadata status indicator will be an up-arrow -- click on it and select Import Settings From Disk:

johnrellis_0-1592705323177.png

This tells LR to read the photo's current develop settings from the .xmp sidecar that was written (or updated) by ACR.

You can make this process easier by using the Open command of the Any File plugin, assigning a keyboard shortcut to Open (I assign Ctrl-O). Just select a photo in LR and type Ctrl-O, and it will open the file in File Explorer's default app (Photoshop). But when you're done editing, you'll still have to click the metadata status indicator in LR and do Import Settings From Disk.

[Use the blue reply button under the first post to ensure replies sort properly.]

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 20, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Jun 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many thanks for your detailed and thoughtful response. This reply along with other correspondance has confirmed what I always thought was true, i.e. that there is no sensible way of doing this. As I always knew the quality is the same as it is the same software underneath with just a different UI. It is the new version of the latter which appealed to me and kicked off this line of enquiry.

thanks again

Grumy Hec

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 21, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jun 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why would you want to do this in the first place? Because you think that Camera Raw would give you better results than Lightroom? As John already explained, that is not true. Camera Raw and the Lightroom develop module are identical, and the new interface of Camera Raw actually makes it look much more like Lightroom than the old interface did, so there is now less reason than before to prefer Camera Raw over Lightroom.

-- Johan W. Elzenga, http://www.johanfoto.com

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 21, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Jun 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To clarify I never at any point thought that the quality is any different between develop module and ACR. I hoped that was clear from my first post.

My driver was purely that I really liked the new UI, even though it has similarities to LR. However, it is clear that there is no sensible way to achieve my idea so the line of enquiry is over.

What is still open however is the notion that ACR as a filter/smart filter from PS produces inferior results. It could be that by that time the file is seen as a PSD/TIFF and hence the algorithms are different or produce different rsults. This is largely an academic interest point but I would be intrigued to know the answer.

Grmpy Hec

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 21, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jun 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is still open however is the notion that ACR as a filter/smart filter from PS produces inferior results. It could be that by that time the file is seen as a PSD/TIFF and hence the algorithms are different or produce different rsults. This is largely an academic interest point but I would be intrigued to know the answer.

That is correct. If you open an image from Lightroom in Photoshop, the Lightroom edits are 'baked into the pixels' of the resulting TIFF/PSD image, which is now an RGB image. You can apply Camera Raw as filter on that TIFF/PSD, but that is not the same as using Camera Raw on the raw data.

-- Johan W. Elzenga, http://www.johanfoto.com

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 21, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Jun 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. Always good to get better knowledge.

cheers

Grumpy Hec

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 21, 2020 0
LEGEND ,
Jun 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So bottom line, ACR provides identical image quality compared to LrC, slightly different user interface, and extra work every time you edit a photo. Hard to see a good reason to do this.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 21, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Jun 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your response. I was always aware that the quality is identical but that was not the issue. It was purely a liking for the new UI in ACR and the idea of being able to use that from LR. That was all.

From this thread and elsewhere it is conformed that there is no sensible way of doing this so the idea is now parked.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 21, 2020 0