• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Add camera name to import file name from metadata

New Here ,
Jan 23, 2021 Jan 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm hopeing that someone can help, fairly new to lightroom and have had some bad expriences with loosing files in the past due to upgrading cameras. So my question is this, is there a way to add the model of camera to the file name when importing the images using the camera metadata? thus making this an automated process. I have two Nikon Cameras a D750 and D500 and dont want to risk them duplicating files or any other issues while using the same cataloge. 

I know that I can add custom text for either D500 or D750 but would like to automate this if possable.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jan 23, 2021 Jan 23, 2021

I also use the Camera model to make sure I dont have duplicate filenames in Lightroom as they are all Canon.  On some cameras and also on the D750 (I didn't check the manual for the D500) you can change the Filename in the Camera.  This is the best option as it is automatic.

FROM THE D750 MANUAL

Screen Shot 2021-01-23 at 10.29.04 AM.jpg

You can also do this on import.  If you use ADD you can't rename on import but if you use the other import methods like COPY you can use the Import File Rename to  use the Model Number and Model o

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also use the Camera model to make sure I dont have duplicate filenames in Lightroom as they are all Canon.  On some cameras and also on the D750 (I didn't check the manual for the D500) you can change the Filename in the Camera.  This is the best option as it is automatic.

FROM THE D750 MANUAL

Screen Shot 2021-01-23 at 10.29.04 AM.jpg

You can also do this on import.  If you use ADD you can't rename on import but if you use the other import methods like COPY you can use the Import File Rename to  use the Model Number and Model or even the Serial Number

Screen Shot 2021-01-23 at 10.24.46 AM.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for that ill have a look. I have the two cameras set to include the
modle number in the file name so part way there.

Regards

Sean

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's nothing wrong with adding camera information to file names, but its also unnecessary with Lightroom Classic, which does not “lose” photos when you upgrade cameras.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it is a BAD idea to have thousands of image files on your drive with multiple duplicate names and is so easily preventable using the cameras built in file naming if available or Lightrooms renaming capabilities.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has never been a problem for me. The files are in different folders, and Lightroom Classic handles it all as expected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Bob Thanks that was exactley what I was trying to do I now know that im never, fingurs crossed, going to end up loosing a file becuase i have a duplicate file name which has happend to me in the past due to upgrading cameras and not nowing lightroom that well. thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines