• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Add to Catalog taking many hours on speedy computer

New Here ,
Nov 29, 2020 Nov 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I installed the latest version of Lightroom Classic to a desktop with Windows 10 64-bit OS, Intel core i-7 processor, 16 GB memory, 4GB AMD Radon GPU,  both 256GB SSD and 1 TB 7200 rpm drives.  I am trying to add photos on my hard drive to a new Catalog.  The source folder and sub-folders have 18,000 JPG photos (initially adding only about 1/4 of my photos to keep it managable).  I used the default add catalog settings and made sure to "add" not copy or move.  The process has now run for more than 6 hours (over three days) and is still not done.  Is this normal for Lightroom?  I started a new subscription but it does not seem worth if I can't even import photos to a catalog without taking days.  Please anyone with clarification or suggestions?  

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Evan though that is a lot of images, they are not RAW so not so large, and you are Adding, so not a lot of read/wrights, etc.

Some things of note.

Before starting the import, make sure Face Detection and Address Lookup are paused, not running. Those eat up resources bad.

Before import, make sure no Sync is running.

In Import Screen, before pressing that Import button, avoid any presets, just select minimal preview creation. This speeds up import at the expense of time to bring up previews post import.

In Import Screen, before pressing that Import button, double check destination selection.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

An import like you describe should take minutes, not hours. Some things to check: are you running any anti virus software? If so exclude the lightroom catalog and preview files from it. Second, some people with import speed issues have been helped by disabling Windows disk indexing. Here is a quick link I found: https://www.online-tech-tips.com/computer-tips/simple-ways-to-increase-your-computers-performace-tur...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines