• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adding GPS data to photos from a tracklog

Community Beginner ,
Mar 19, 2013 Mar 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the best way to add the GPS data contained in a tracklog file (in my case from a Garmin handheld device) to my Lightroom photos?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 19, 2013 Mar 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I, too, am interested in knowing this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 20, 2013 Mar 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom 4.x has a Map module that will do this, I think, depending on exactly what you want.  I don’t use it so I cannot tell you what the limitations might be.

I’ve been using the free GeoSetter to do this long before LR could and continue to use it: (Edited by Moderator. Link is no longer valid)

(This link will redirect to the English-language version of a German site because the author is German.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 02, 2016 Mar 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please be careful with ssprengel's link.  It goes to a phishing site.  (Probably didn't when he posted it but now it does.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 02, 2016 Mar 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, the link used to work 2 years ago when I posted it, but someone evil has taken over the domain, probably after the original user quit paying for it.

The native German site is and has always been www.geosetter.de with the English-language version:  www.geosetter.de/en which is where the .com version redirected, originally.

The home page should look something like this:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Select the images you want to geoencode, switch to the Map module, choose Map/Tracklog/Load Tracking (Choose the tracklog file), and choose Map/Tracklog/Auto-tag Photos. I don't believe it's absolutely necessary to download the tracks first. Instead you can connect the GPS device in mass storage mode and download directly to LR4. Edit: I checked my Garmin and it doesn't seem to have a way to switch to mass storage mode. So you need Garmin's software or something like Easy GPS or Geosetter to download tracks and save them as .gpx files.

I still prefer using Jeffrey Friedl's Geoencoding Support plug-in to do the encoding and Easy GPS to download and save the tracks from my Garmin eTrex Vista HCx.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom does support .GPX format of tracklog file.

In Lighroom 4.x under Map module you can load tracklog from third party device.

Click the GPS Tracklogs button and choose Load Tracklog to upload GPS data (a GPX file) from a third-party device.

It will give you GPS data based on tracklog and let you thesse data to Photos.

tracklog_button.jpg

For more information on working with GPS data please check following help article.

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/lightroom/using/WS6029a80579ffffcd-6a3f1714134217cf621-8000.html#WS2bacb...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 22, 2013 Mar 22, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How to add GPS data to your photos (Windows centric instructions).
1. Save the tracklog (.gpx) file from your GPS unit. For example, for a Garmin you can use their BaseCamp® software (see your GPS unit's documentation).
2. In Lightroom 4 (LR4), navigate to the Map module.
3. On the main menu click Map, point to Tracklog, and then, on the flyout menu, click Load Tracklog...
4. Navigate to where you saved your .gpx file and select it. Click Open. LR4 will load your .gpx and display the track.
5. Return to the Library module and select the photos you want to tag with GPS data.
6. Return to the Map module. On the main menu click Map, point to Tracklog, and then, on the flyout menu, click Auto-Tag X Selected Photos...

That should do the job, provided that you have synchronized the time/date on your camera to match your GPS unit prior to shooting. Happy tagging. Zander.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines