• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adding markers to tone curve without moving it?

Explorer ,
May 12, 2017 May 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Until recently when using tone curves in LR I could add markers to the curve without making adjustments/moving the tone curve and then grab the markers and move them around. However, since a recent upgrade (maybe a couple of months ago) unless I place the cursor absolutely 100% accurately on the tone curve line when I add a marker it also moves the curve at the same time. I like to add 3 or 4 makers to a linear curve and then start moving the around, but now once I've added the markers it's no longer perfectly linear. Has anyone else noticed this and no if there's a way to put it back to how it used to be?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , May 12, 2017 May 12, 2017

If you hold the ALT/OPT key and click a short distance vertically OFF the line it will set a point without moving the line, at least on my MAC.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the bottom right-hand corner of the Tone Curve panel, is a button to enable the Point Curve mode. Click it.

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, that wasn't what I was actually after though as I could add points but in doing so the curve moved. I've since figured it out though, if I hold the option key (mac) and click it adds a point without moving the curve. Not sure why they've changed this, but at least I can still do what I want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[Alt/Opt] constrains movement to 10% of normal in the Tone Curve dialog so it is possible it may move slightly still.

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you hold the ALT/OPT key and click a short distance vertically OFF the line it will set a point without moving the line, at least on my MAC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree Bob, I can hold alt and click anywhere above or below the line and it adds a marker to the line without moving the tone curve at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When adjusting control points hold down the SHIFT key to restrict movement to the Y axis. Use ALT + SHIFT for finer adjustment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 22, 2018 Jun 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This doesn't work in Photoshop, is there a way to do the same?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 22, 2018 Jun 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I don't know if you can do this in Photoshop  You would probably get more answers on the Photoshop forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 24, 2021 Jun 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

On a PC, and maybe a MAC, you have to click the point, and press ALT, and have the "Snap to grid" turned off on the tone curve. To do this, you 'right click' on the tone curve.

That will completely stop the tone curve from moving.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines