Highlighted

Adjustments look different on Raw vs. Tiff

New Here ,
Nov 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,

I posted another question thinking I had pinpointed the source of my issue but I think I was mistaken, so here we go again! 

Essentially, I am applying adjustments to a Raw image, then I want to correct something in Photoshop (add a blur, for example), but when the Tiff comes back to Lr, the same adjustments look completely different between the Raw and the Tiff, even though the base looks the same. I copy all develop settings from one to the other, and it simply doesn't look right. 

I noticed that 'Adobe Standard' (on the Raw) is now 'Embedded' (on the Tiff) and I suspect this is what is causing my issue (as the WB sliders display different numbers in this profile...?)

I suppose I don't know enough about camera profiles to figure this out but all I really want is to be able to apply the exact same treatment and overall 'look' to the Tiff that I applied to the Raw — is there any workaround?

I've tried saving the metadata to the file before opening it in Ps but this hasn't made a difference (I am also fairly sure Lr is doing this already as I've ticked 'Automatically write changes into XMP' 

The only other option I see is 'Include Develop settings in metadata inside JPEG, TIFF, PNG, and PSD files' which I have toggled on and off and also see no difference... unsure whether I should have this selected now or how it affects my workflow. 

Any advice is welcome as I'm completely lost now and it's stalling progress on work!

Thanks 

TOPICS
How to, Presets or profiles, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Adjustments look different on Raw vs. Tiff

New Here ,
Nov 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,

I posted another question thinking I had pinpointed the source of my issue but I think I was mistaken, so here we go again! 

Essentially, I am applying adjustments to a Raw image, then I want to correct something in Photoshop (add a blur, for example), but when the Tiff comes back to Lr, the same adjustments look completely different between the Raw and the Tiff, even though the base looks the same. I copy all develop settings from one to the other, and it simply doesn't look right. 

I noticed that 'Adobe Standard' (on the Raw) is now 'Embedded' (on the Tiff) and I suspect this is what is causing my issue (as the WB sliders display different numbers in this profile...?)

I suppose I don't know enough about camera profiles to figure this out but all I really want is to be able to apply the exact same treatment and overall 'look' to the Tiff that I applied to the Raw — is there any workaround?

I've tried saving the metadata to the file before opening it in Ps but this hasn't made a difference (I am also fairly sure Lr is doing this already as I've ticked 'Automatically write changes into XMP' 

The only other option I see is 'Include Develop settings in metadata inside JPEG, TIFF, PNG, and PSD files' which I have toggled on and off and also see no difference... unsure whether I should have this selected now or how it affects my workflow. 

Any advice is welcome as I'm completely lost now and it's stalling progress on work!

Thanks 

TOPICS
How to, Presets or profiles, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Nov 24, 2019 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See the answer in the other thread. When you send a file to photoshop, all edits are now baked in and are the new starting point. When you copy over edits from the original raw file your edits are now applied double in effect.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 24, 2019 0
Nov 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Applying the same Develop settings to a raw file and a Tiff will produce different results, because they are fundamentally different file types.

But why do you want to do this anyway? When you send an edited raw file to Photoshop for further editing, the file will open silently in the Camera raw plugin, where the edits from Lightroom are applied, and then open in Photoshop.

When the Tiff returns from Photoshop, the edits you did in Lightroom will be visible, but will not show up in the History panel because this is a new file.

Are you saying that your Lightroom edits are no longer visible in the Tiff that returns from Photoshop?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 24, 2019 1
Advocate ,
Nov 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I suppose I don't know enough about camera profiles to figure this out but all I really want is to be able to apply the exact same treatment and overall 'look' to the Tiff that I applied to the Raw — is there any workaround?"

The display that you see in LR's Develop mode is predictive. In other words, it shows you what the tiff will look like after the requested processing (requested by slider positioning) has been done to the Raw data and the image rendered. If you want the prediction and the rendation to look the same, don't edit the tiff. Leave the sliders at zero when you have opened the tiff.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 24, 2019 1
Nov 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"the same adjustments look completely different between the Raw and the Tiff"

Per has the right answer. The "same" adjustment will have a very different meanings, because the anatomy of the two files are radically different. And so the same numerical adjustment will produce very different results. This is normal and expected.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 24, 2019 0
New Here ,
Nov 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

Thanks for this, the struggle is that it happens on images with no edits as well...

My process:

1. Raw file with no adjustments made – right-click, edit in Ps
  2. Do nothing in Ps
  3. Save Tiff, return to Lr

The only two differences in settings I see are:

• Treatment Profile (Adobe Standard in Raw, Color in Tiff)
  • Lens profile:
    • Raw 
      IMG_5302.PNG
    • Tiff 
      IMG_5303.PNG

Initially, Lr can't place the right profile for the Tiff, but once I select the make, it tracks it down (albeit, not the same as on Raw, and it behaves slightly differently as well). Is there any way to retain the lens profile information?

Then I apply the same develop preset to both the Raw and the Tiff.... They look very different. Is this normal?

I understand that the nature of these file types means they are fundamentally structured differently and will not look the same; having said that, what I am after is being able to bring the base image into Ps to make corrections (liquify, for example) while ensuring the develop settings look as they should after the fact. Maybe I need to amend my workflow or find some kind of workaround – any suggestions?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 24, 2019 0
Nov 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>Initially, Lr can't place the right profile for the Tiff, but once I select the make, it tracks it down (albeit, not the same as on Raw, and it behaves slightly differently as well). Is there any way to retain the lens profile information?

Do NOT DO THIS!!!! You do not want to apply lens corrections to a file that already had those corrections applied in the raw stage. The lens corrections get baked into the file. You do not need to do them again.

>Then I apply the same develop preset to both the Raw and the Tiff.... They look very different. Is this normal?

Yes but this is simply due to the fact that the raw already had settings applied. When you apply a preset to an image it is not something that is additive to what you already did. It changes the sliders, but doesn't add or substract. For example if you applied an exposure compensation of value x to the orginal. Edited it in Photoshop and it comes back, it should look exactly like the edited raw file but now the sliders will all be at zero. If your preset now sets the slider to a different exposure compensation, say y. It will change both to that value. In effect what happens is that in the raw file the final exposure compensation is y, but in the file that went through photoshop in between, the final exposure compensation is x+y because x was baked into the photoshop file already in its actual pixel values.

>Maybe I need to amend my workflow or find some kind of workaround – any suggestions?

The right workflow for involving Photoshop is to do as many edits in Lightroom as you can. Make the image look like what you want entirely. Only then bring it into Photoshop as now you are baking all edits into the image data. All the edits you did before are no longer changeable. They are completely baked into the final file. This is inherent to a raw workflow.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 24, 2019 0